37 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2018 11:14 PM by colesdav

AMDGPU Pro Control Panel ?

shspvr

Where is it as I can't seem to fine it

• Re: AMDGPU Pro Control Panel ?
          fsadough

It is related to radeon products and nor Workstation products.

shspvr

Well it be been over a year now so where is it that Linux Control Panel AMD

fsadough

Not implemented yet

shspvr

We know that, just when will happing ?.

fsadough

No definite date yet

colesdav

Hi,

I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed on machines with 5  AMD R9 FuryX /  R9 Nanos installed per machine.
                            I have the latest 18.10 drivers installed and I have  managed to get the  ROCm and Vulkan environments set up and running now.

Is their any more news on a GUI with some way to control and monitor the GPU's with the AMDGPU / AMDGPU-Pro Driver?
                            Do you have any information regarding command line options that could be used to control the GPU fans, GPU Clocks GPU MEM Clocks, GPU power limit?

I had seen an article / mention about a GUI for Vega and Radeon Pro cards on Linux somewhere.

I really hope you are going to provide one for older cards like the R9 FuryX or R9 Nano.

If I cannot find any information on the AMD Website should I just go and search Etherium Mining Forum for solutions?
                            They must have some software to control their GPU fans, clock speeds and monitor temps.

Here are some examples from Ubuntu 16.06LTS with AMDGPU-PRO 18.10 drivers (the Vulkan SDK and ROCm Compute environments are set up and working correctly in this case).

(1). I have tried using radeontop and as you can see see it is pretty useless.

Graphics pipe   0.00% │

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Event Engine   0.00% │
                            Vertex Grouper + Tesselator   0.00% │
                            Texture Addresser   0.00% │
                            Texture Cache   0.00% │
                            Shader Export   0.00% │
                            Sequencer Instruction Cache   0.00% │
                            Shader Interpolator   0.00% │
                            Shader Memory Exchange   0.00% │
                            Scan Converter   0.00% │
                            Primitive Assembly   0.00% │
                            Depth Block   0.00% │
                            Color Block   0.00% │
                            Clip Rectangle   0.00% │

(2). I have tried installing and running Psensors and it tells me nothing about my GPU's.

(3).glxinfo -B just tells me about my primary card.

name of display: :0

display: :0  screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 Fury Series

OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.13519 Core Profile Context 18.10.4.13

OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50

OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)

OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.5.13519 Compatibility Profile Context 18.10.4.13

OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50

OpenGL context flags: (none)

OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: 4.5.13519 Compatibility Profile Context 18.10.4.13

OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: 4.50

(4). inxi -bM just tells me this:

Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY / NANO Series]

Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY / NANO Series]

Card-3: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY / NANO Series]

Card-4: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY / NANO Series]

Card-5: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY / NANO Series]

I have not been able to find  much information regarding how to control my GPU's at all with these AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO drivers anywhere.

I have not seen much information about these AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO Drivers since their release other than installation instructions. Those  have frequently included errors, and not actually worked with the Vulkan SDK or ROCm installation on various Linux distributions such as Centos Ubuntu, Fedora for me until recently).

Some more feedback/comments.

(A). When I boot up with these drivers installed I frequently have Black Screen with no video output unless I physically disconnect and then reconnect the main Viewsonic VX2257 Monitor.

(B). Changing GPU outputs connected to a monitor results in black screen at boot up. Basically I have to decide which monitor is going to be connected to which GPU output and then install the driver.  Any change in output connections after that = blackscreen.

(C). Multi Monitor control and setup is really basic, still relying on the built in Ubuntu/Centos/Fedora  Display Settings Menu which shows some really crazy behavior if I try to align my Multi Monitors.

(D). No Crossfire support at all.

(E). Obviously with Ubuntu 15.10 their was a Catalyst GUI.

(F). Many Linux Games will not run on these drivers at all. For example, Hitman, Rise of the Tomb Raider, DOTA2  and Talos Principle with Vulkan simply do not launch.

(G). Is their any plan at all to allow User Control Interface to select  of which application runs on which GPU? I believe developers are working on this for Nvidia cards.

(H). The user experience with Nvidia GPU on Ubuntu 16.04 / 18.04  is far easier (GUI, all things I would expect to monitor my GPU) and more like what I would expect. I have been running an GTX780Ti on Ubuntu for ~ 2 years now and it runs pretty well.

Thanks.

shspvr

Hope lee some day we see GUI

colesdav

Hi,

I understand  that AMD have made much effort to develop ROCm and indeed Vulkan (which is a follow on from efforts with Mantle in earlier years).
                                    I am very interested in these features and I do appreciate it.
                                    I really think something needs to be done to quickly improve the user experience and information about these new AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO driver installation procedures in the release notes, more explanation regarding the various installation options, and more testing to see if the drivers actually work with ROCm and Vulkan SDK. I did report some issues I saw to the AMD Community Forum but their does not seem to be any automated way to report Linux Driver issues in AMD Reporting Form for example, so that the AMD Driver Devs get feedback about various issues. I guess I could raise an email support request, but that usually takes much time to deal with.

On a positive note the 18.10 Drivers and Vulkan SDK and ROCm are all installing fine on Ubuntu 16.04LTS now without much additional effort at least.

A GUI is pretty essential to control and monitor your AMD GPU's. Nvidia provide a good GUI on Ubuntu 16.04LTS and 18.04LTS. I think AMD need to.

I would have thought that improving the User Interface on the most common Linux Distributions (especially on Ubuntu 16.04LTS and 18.04LTS) would be pretty important for many reasons. Ubuntu  is the recommended platform for Android Development, ROCm. Ubuntu is the easiest Linux OS to move to if you are someone who has finally had enough of Microsoft Windows 10 as their main OS. Since AMD have really brilliant multicore CPU offerings such as Ryzen, Threadripper, EPYC this makes running Windows 10 inside Virtual Machine with PCIe Passthrough hardware access to GPU a very tempting prospect for those who want to be able to have a Windows 10 Installation inside Ubuntu just for gaming or other applications that need it.

However in the meantime I need to know how  I am supposed to monitor and control my GPU's with AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO with AMD GPU (Specifically R9FuryX and R9 Nano).  There must be some command line interface options and details available somewhere? If those are available maybe some people  in Open Source  / Free Software Community could then have a starting point to write a simple GUI Interface if AMD cannot do it?

Thanks.

colesdav

Hi,

Were you aware of this?

GitHub - RadeonOpenCompute/ROC-smi: ROC System Management Interface

Seriously I found a link to this on an Etherium Mining forum after spending hours looking.

I did not see any reference to it on AMD GPUOpen Website or ROCm pages. I will go back and look again.
                                      Definitely nothing mentioned about it on AMDGPU/ AMDGPUPRO Driver installations notes.

You would have to install the AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO driver and then complete the additional install procedure to get  ROCm drivers on your system.

Once you have done that it appears to give you lots of options to control multiple GPUs on your system...

Once try it out and see it works I will hopefully have have a command line interface and options and from there it should not take too much time to write a QT GUI or TK GUI ...

Bye.

shspvr

No I wasn't aware of that and I have no interest in Mining any way and when I upgrade my old Radon HD 7870 which DIE I en dup getting a Vega 56 which I got a sweet deal on in Nov 2017 of last year $400 then I end up later on purchased $240 EK Fluid Gaming A240R water cooling kit that all in one cooling solution .

And that tool not going to solve my problem any way which has to do with HDMI output and the Color Pixel Format which I need to change from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 because of my capture device, so I just for now I stuck using Windows system

Thanks for passing along the link

colesdav

hi,

I gave rocm-smi reporting a try.

Here is the output.

UbuntuPC:~$  /opt/rocm/bin/rocm-smi -h

usage: rocm-smi [-h] [-d DEVICE] [-i] [-v] [-hw] [-t] [-c] [-g] [-f] [-p] [-P] [-o] [-l] [-s] [-a] [-r]

[--setsclk LEVEL [LEVEL ...]] [--setmclk LEVEL [LEVEL ...]] [--resetfans] [--setfan LEVEL]

[--setperflevel LEVEL] [--setoverdrive %] [--setprofile # # # # #] [--resetprofile]

[--load FILE | --save FILE] [--autorespond RESPONSE]

AMD ROCm System Management Interface

optional arguments:

-h, --help                   show this help message and exit

--load FILE                  Load Clock, Fan, Performance and Profile settings from FILE

--save FILE                  Save Clock, Fan, Performance and Profile settings to FILE

-d DEVICE, --device DEVICE   Execute command on specified device

-i, --showid                 Show GPU ID

-v, --showvbios              Show VBIOS version

-hw, --showhw                Show Hardware details

-t, --showtemp               Show current temperature

-c, --showclocks             Show current clock frequencies

-g, --showgpuclocks          Show current GPU clock frequencies

-f, --showfan                Show current fan speed

-p, --showperflevel          Show current PowerPlay Performance Level

-P, --showpower              Show current power consumption

-o, --showoverdrive          Show current OverDrive level

-l, --showprofile            Show Compute Profile attributes

-s, --showclkfrq             Show supported GPU and Memory Clock

-a, --showallinfo            Show Temperature, Fan and Clock values

-r, --resetclocks            Reset sclk and mclk to default (auto)

--setsclk LEVEL [LEVEL ...]  Set GPU Clock Frequency Level(s) (manual)

--setmclk LEVEL [LEVEL ...]  Set GPU Memory Clock Frequency Level(s) (manual)

--resetfans                  Reset fans to automatic (driver) control

--setfan LEVEL               Set GPU Fan Speed Level

--setperflevel LEVEL         Set PowerPlay Performance Level

--setoverdrive %             Set GPU OverDrive level (manual|high)

--setprofile # # # # #       Specify Compute Profile attributes (auto)

--resetprofile               Reset Compute Profile to default values

--autorespond RESPONSE       Response to automatically provide for all prompts (NOT RECOMMENDED)

UbuntuPC:~$ /opt/rocm/bin/rocm-smi -a

====================    ROCm System Management Interface    ====================

================================================================================

GPU[3]         : GPU ID: 0x6798

GPU[1]         : GPU ID: 0x7300

GPU[2]         : GPU ID: 0x7300

GPU[0]         : GPU ID: 0x7300

================================================================================

GPU[3]         : Temperature: 36.0c

GPU[1]         : Temperature: 37.0c

GPU[2]         : Temperature: 32.0c

GPU[0]         : Temperature: 35.0c

GPU[3]         : WARNING: Empty SysFS value: sclk

GPU[3]         : WARNING: Empty SysFS value: mclk

GPU[3]         : GPU Clock Level: None (None)

GPU[3]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: None (None)

GPU[1]         : GPU Clock Level: 0 (300Mhz)

GPU[1]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: 0 (500Mhz)

GPU[2]         : GPU Clock Level: 0 (300Mhz)

GPU[2]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: 0 (500Mhz)

GPU[0]         : GPU Clock Level: 1 (512Mhz)

GPU[0]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: 0 (500Mhz)

GPU[3]         : Fan Level: 51 (20.0)%

GPU[1]         : Fan Level: 48 (18.82)%

GPU[2]         : Fan Level: 48 (18.82)%

GPU[0]         : Fan Level: 35 (13.73)%

GPU[3]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[1]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[2]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[0]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[3]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[1]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[2]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[0]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[3]         : Invalid return value from pp_compute_power_profile

GPU[1]         : Minimum SCLK: 974MHz

GPU[1]         : Minimum MCLK: 0MHz

GPU[1]         : Activity threshold: 30%

GPU[1]         : Hysteresis Up: 0ms

GPU[1]         : Hysteresis Down: 5ms

GPU[2]         : Minimum SCLK: 974MHz

GPU[2]         : Minimum MCLK: 0MHz

GPU[2]         : Activity threshold: 30%

GPU[2]         : Hysteresis Up: 0ms

GPU[2]         : Hysteresis Down: 5ms

GPU[0]         : Minimum SCLK: 1018MHz

GPU[0]         : Minimum MCLK: 0MHz

GPU[0]         : Activity threshold: 30%

GPU[0]         : Hysteresis Up: 0ms

GPU[0]         : Hysteresis Down: 5ms

GPU[3]         : WARNING: Empty SysFS value: power

GPU[3]         : Cannot get GPU power Consumption: Average GPU Power not supported

GPU[1]         : Average GPU Power: 10.249 W

GPU[2]         : Average GPU Power: 10.81 W

GPU[0]         : Average GPU Power: 21.9 W

GPU[3]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU3

GPU[3]         :

GPU[3]         :

GPU[3]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU3

GPU[3]         :

GPU[3]         :

GPU[1]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU1

GPU[1]         : 0: 300Mhz *

GPU[1]         : 1: 508Mhz

GPU[1]         : 2: 717Mhz

GPU[1]         : 3: 874Mhz

GPU[1]         : 4: 911Mhz

GPU[1]         : 5: 944Mhz

GPU[1]         : 6: 974Mhz

GPU[1]         : 7: 1000Mhz

GPU[1]         :

GPU[1]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU1

GPU[1]         : 0: 500Mhz *

GPU[1]         :

GPU[2]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU2

GPU[2]         : 0: 300Mhz *

GPU[2]         : 1: 508Mhz

GPU[2]         : 2: 717Mhz

GPU[2]         : 3: 874Mhz

GPU[2]         : 4: 911Mhz

GPU[2]         : 5: 944Mhz

GPU[2]         : 6: 974Mhz

GPU[2]         : 7: 1000Mhz

GPU[2]         :

GPU[2]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU2

GPU[2]         : 0: 500Mhz *

GPU[2]         :

GPU[0]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU0

GPU[0]         : 0: 300Mhz

GPU[0]         : 1: 512Mhz

GPU[0]         : 2: 724Mhz *

GPU[0]         : 3: 892Mhz

GPU[0]         : 4: 944Mhz

GPU[0]         : 5: 984Mhz

GPU[0]         : 6: 1018Mhz

GPU[0]         : 7: 1050Mhz

GPU[0]         :

GPU[0]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU0

GPU[0]         : 0: 500Mhz *

GPU[0]         :

WARNING: One or more commands failed

====================           End of ROCm SMI Log          ====================

Bye.

colesdav

Hi,

It appears to work ... for fan control at least ...
                                            Setting fan level to 255 maxes out all GPU fans to 100%.
                                            It is very loud here at the moment...
                                            I feel like shouting "Artillery!"

Note GPU[3] is a GCN1.0 R9 280x so some GPU values are not reporting. The remainder are R9 Nano or FuryX, 4 in total connected.

UbuntuPC:~$ /opt/rocm/bin/rocm-smi --setfan 255

====================    ROCm System Management Interface    ====================

GPU[3]         : Successfully set fan control to 'manual'

GPU[3]         : Successfully set fan speed to Level 255

GPU[1]         : Successfully set fan control to 'manual'

GPU[1]         : Successfully set fan speed to Level 255

GPU[2]         : Successfully set fan control to 'manual'

GPU[2]         : Successfully set fan speed to Level 255

GPU[0]         : Successfully set fan control to 'manual'

GPU[0]         : Successfully set fan speed to Level 255

====================           End of ROCm SMI Log          ====================

UbuntuPC:~$ /opt/rocm/bin/rocm-smi -a

GPU[3]         : GPU ID: 0x6798

GPU[1]         : GPU ID: 0x7300

GPU[2]         : GPU ID: 0x7300

GPU[0]         : GPU ID: 0x7300

GPU[3]         : Temperature: 36.0c

GPU[1]         : Temperature: 37.0c

GPU[2]         : Temperature: 32.0c

GPU[0]         : Temperature: 34.0c

GPU[3]         : GPU Clock Level: None (None)

GPU[3]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: None (None)

GPU[1]         : GPU Clock Level: 0 (300Mhz)

GPU[1]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: 0 (500Mhz)

GPU[2]         : GPU Clock Level: 0 (300Mhz)

GPU[2]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: 0 (500Mhz)

GPU[0]         : GPU Clock Level: 1 (512Mhz)

GPU[0]         : GPU Memory Clock Level: 0 (500Mhz)

GPU[3]         : Fan Level: 255 (100.0)%

GPU[1]         : Fan Level: 255 (100.0)%

GPU[2]         : Fan Level: 255 (100.0)%

GPU[0]         : Fan Level: 255 (100.0)%

GPU[3]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[1]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[2]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[0]         : Current PowerPlay Level: auto

GPU[3]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[1]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[2]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[0]         : Current OverDrive value: 0%

GPU[3]         : Invalid return value from pp_compute_power_profile

GPU[1]         : Minimum SCLK: 974MHz

GPU[1]         : Minimum MCLK: 0MHz

GPU[1]         : Activity threshold: 30%

GPU[1]         : Hysteresis Up: 0ms

GPU[1]         : Hysteresis Down: 5ms

GPU[2]         : Minimum SCLK: 974MHz

GPU[2]         : Minimum MCLK: 0MHz

GPU[2]         : Activity threshold: 30%

GPU[2]         : Hysteresis Up: 0ms

GPU[2]         : Hysteresis Down: 5ms

GPU[0]         : Minimum SCLK: 1018MHz

GPU[0]         : Minimum MCLK: 0MHz

GPU[0]         : Activity threshold: 30%

GPU[0]         : Hysteresis Up: 0ms

GPU[0]         : Hysteresis Down: 5ms

GPU[3]         : WARNING: Empty SysFS value: power

GPU[3]         : Cannot get GPU power Consumption: Average GPU Power not supported

GPU[1]         : Average GPU Power: 11.70 W

GPU[2]         : Average GPU Power: 10.211 W

GPU[0]         : Average GPU Power: 18.172 W

GPU[3]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU3

GPU[3]         :

GPU[3]         :

GPU[3]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU3

GPU[3]         :

GPU[3]         :

GPU[1]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU1

GPU[1]         : 0: 300Mhz *

GPU[1]         : 1: 508Mhz

GPU[1]         : 2: 717Mhz

GPU[1]         : 3: 874Mhz

GPU[1]         : 4: 911Mhz

GPU[1]         : 5: 944Mhz

GPU[1]         : 6: 974Mhz

GPU[1]         : 7: 1000Mhz

GPU[1]         :

GPU[1]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU1

GPU[1]         : 0: 500Mhz *

GPU[1]         :

GPU[2]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU2

GPU[2]         : 0: 300Mhz *

GPU[2]         : 1: 508Mhz

GPU[2]         : 2: 717Mhz

GPU[2]         : 3: 874Mhz

GPU[2]         : 4: 911Mhz

GPU[2]         : 5: 944Mhz

GPU[2]         : 6: 974Mhz

GPU[2]         : 7: 1000Mhz

GPU[2]         :

GPU[2]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU2

GPU[2]         : 0: 500Mhz *

GPU[2]         :

GPU[0]         : Supported GPU clock frequencies on GPU0

GPU[0]         : 0: 300Mhz

GPU[0]         : 1: 512Mhz *

GPU[0]         : 2: 724Mhz

GPU[0]         : 3: 892Mhz

GPU[0]         : 4: 944Mhz

GPU[0]         : 5: 984Mhz

GPU[0]         : 6: 1018Mhz

GPU[0]         : 7: 1050Mhz

GPU[0]         :

GPU[0]         : Supported GPU Memory clock frequencies on GPU0

GPU[0]         : 0: 500Mhz *

GPU[0]         :

WARNING: One or more commands failed

Now I will try to turn these fans down again. I hope it works ;-).

Bye.

colesdav

Hi,

I found this article if you do not want to install the ROCm-SMI.
                                              https://linuxconfig.org/overclock-your-radeon-gpu-with-amdgpu

I have used this type of method before on earlier drivers and it is a pain.

Bye.

colesdav

Hi,

If you do try radeon-smi (which is working pretty well for me) you could try the following approach in Ubuntu Terminal

UbuntuPC:~$ clear; for i in {1..1000} ; do /opt/rocm/bin/rocm-smi -g  | grep Level ; sleep 1 ; clear; done

It will give you an output like this in the terminal, constantly updated, with GPU Clock Frequency updated at a speed partially controlled by the value after 'sleep'. Duration of the overall reporting controlled by number of loops executed. 

GPU[3]    : GPU Clock Level: None (None)
                                                GPU[1]    : GPU Clock Level: 0 (300Mhz)
                                                GPU[2]    : GPU Clock Level: 0 (300Mhz)
                                                GPU[0]    : GPU Clock Level: 0 (300Mhz)

It's a quick start I guess.
                                                You could open multiple windows and report fan speed separately using various filters and switches on the output.

Bye.

colesdav

I forgot to mention I had installed lm-sensors previously.
                                                In this example I have disconnected one of the R9 Nanos completely and replaced another with an R9 280x. There are 4 GPU's in total connected.

sensors -help

Usage: sensors [OPTION]... [CHIP]...

-c, --config-file     Specify a config file

-h, --help            Display this help text

-s, --set             Execute `set' statements (root only)

-f, --fahrenheit      Show temperatures in degrees fahrenheit

-A, --no-adapter      Do not show adapter for each chip

--bus-list        Generate bus statements for sensors.conf

-u                    Raw output

-v, --version         Display the program version

Use `-' after `-c' to read the config file from stdin.

If no chips are specified, all chip info will be printed.

Example chip names:

lm78-i2c-0-2d    *-i2c-0-2d

lm78-i2c-0-*    *-i2c-0-*

lm78-i2c-*-2d    *-i2c-*-2d

lm78-i2c-*-*    *-i2c-*-*

lm78-isa-0290    *-isa-0290

lm78-isa-*    *-isa-*

lm78-*

:~$ sensors

amdgpu-pci-0a00

Adapter: PCI adapter

vddgfx:           N/A 

temp1:        +35.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

ERROR: Can't get value of subfeature power1_cap: Can't read

power1:           N/A  (cap =   0.00 W)

amdgpu-pci-0200

vddgfx:       +0.85 V 

fan1:        1580 RPM

temp1:        +36.0°C  (crit = +89.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)

power1:       11.00 W  (cap = 150.00 W)

acpitz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)

temp2:        +29.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)

asus-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

cpu_fan:        0 RPM

amdgpu-pci-0600

vddgfx:       +0.85 V 

fan1:        1588 RPM

temp1:        +31.0°C  (crit = +89.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)

power1:       10.00 W  (cap = 150.00 W)

amdgpu-pci-0100

vddgfx:       +0.93 V 

fan1:        1000 RPM

temp1:        +35.0°C  (crit = +79.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)

power1:       17.00 W  (cap = 300.00 W)

coretemp-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

Package id 0:  +35.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 0:        +30.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 1:        +33.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 2:        +31.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 3:        +29.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C

Bye.

colesdav

Hi

Not expecting you to reply to this unless I find an way to set HDMI output  Color Pixel Format.
                                        I am just posting in attempt to help anyone else trying to work out how to control their display with AMDGPU/GPUPRO drivers on Ubuntu.

I started to look for Video controls available on Ubuntu 16.,04 LTS for my GPU's now that I have ability to control fan speed, gpu clocks etc.

First option / way = what can i do with xrandr at the command line that I am looking for.

Here are the available options from xrandr on Ubuntu 16.04LTS.

UbuntuPC:~$ xrandr -help

usage: xrandr [options]

where options are:

--display <display> or -d <display>

--help

-o <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>

or --orientation <normal,inverted,left,right,0,1,2,3>

-q        or --query

-s <size>/<width>x<height> or --size <size>/<width>x<height>

-r <rate> or --rate <rate> or --refresh <rate>

-v        or --version

-x        (reflect in x)

-y        (reflect in y)

--screen <screen>

--verbose

--current

--dryrun

--nograb

--prop or --properties

--fb <width>x<height>

--fbmm <width>x<height>

--dpi <dpi>/<output>

--output <output>

--auto

--mode <mode>

--preferred

--pos <x>x<y>

--rate <rate> or --refresh <rate>

--reflect normal,x,y,xy

--rotate normal,inverted,left,right

--left-of <output>

--right-of <output>

--above <output>

--below <output>

--same-as <output>

--set <property> <value>

--scale <x>x<y>

--scale-from <w>x<h>

--transform <a>,<b>,<c>,<d>,<e>,<f>,<g>,<h>,<i>

--off

--crtc <crtc>

--panning <w>x<h>[+<x>+<y>[/<track:w>x<h>+<x>+<y>[/<border:l>/<t>/<r>/<b>]]]

--gamma <r>:<g>:<b>

--brightness <value>

--primary

--noprimary

--newmode <name> <clock MHz>

<hdisp> <hsync-start> <hsync-end> <htotal>

<vdisp> <vsync-start> <vsync-end> <vtotal>

[flags...]

Valid flags: +HSync -HSync +VSync -VSync

+CSync -CSync CSync Interlace DoubleScan

--rmmode <name>

--addmode <output> <name>

--delmode <output> <name>

--listproviders

--setprovideroutputsource <prov-xid> <source-xid>

--setprovideroffloadsink <prov-xid> <sink-xid>

--listmonitors

--listactivemonitors

--setmonitor <name> {auto|<w>/<mmw>x<h>/<mmh>+<x>+<y>} {none|<output>,<output>,...}

--delmonitor <name>

Using xrandr at the command line gives various options that are not available on the Ubuntu 16.04 Screen Display GUI.

For example.

Information on property settings for each GPU
                                        UbuntuPC:~$xrandr --properties

TearFree Control Setting.

UbuntuPC:~$ xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --set TearFree on

FreeSync Control Setting - Note I need to double check if this works in reality - the flag does get accepted. 
                                        UbuntuPC:~$ xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --set freesync 1

Brighness Control (be careful with this one .... default is 1 for me... 255 is a bad move if you only have 1 display ;-).

UbuntuPC:~$xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --brightness 1.1 

I do not see a way to control HDMI output and the Color Pixel Format from xrandr.

I will look for more options.

Bye.

colesdav

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out if there is a way to control pixel format.

I just checked the fixes put into the linux kernel and if you look here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/16/899  it looks like there has been a fix put into the linux kernel for Vega cards at end 2017. : drm/amd/display: HDMI YCbCr422 12bpc pixel format issue.

I need to investigate this further.

Bye.

shspvr

That is true how every I need to override the PC Monitor HDMI EDID setting I'm sure if I plug in reg TV set then it should come out right I think but then I end up loses freesync so I haven't bothered to test that theory and only reason why I had gone with AMD Vega as I just bear had enough cash buy one at the time GTX 1070 Ti cost way more would had waited a few more mouths to get but that come a round card price where all ready going thru the roof in price.

I still perf to see AMD do a GUI like before with the old Catalyst software.

colesdav

Hi,

(1). I agree that we need absolutely need an  AMD GUI similar to AMD Adrenalin Global Control and Global Wattman at the very least.
                                                  Overriding file contents in linux device install directories just to change fan speed or monitor temps is ridiculous and prone to error in my opinion.

(2). Using xrandr seems to work fine but you do have to be careful with some settings. If you set the brightness too high, for example, you end up snowblind and unable to see anything on the display. Lucky I had dual monitor running.

(3). Installing ROCm so you can use rocm-smi may have implications on how the display driver performs in gaming - which may be all that some people who are moving from Windows 10 to Ubuntu may be interested in.

I have been told on this forum that ROCm drivers are for compute and different to AMDGPU drivers.
                                                  I reported earlier that installing ROCm was resulting a conflict and requesting to overwrite some files previously installed by the amdgpu-install when I followed the installation instructions from AMD.

I am definitely having some linux  games simply crash out with this driver install which did previously work on earlier AMD drivers without ROCm installed.

It has all been quite a trial to get this far to have 18.10 drivers installed, Vulkan SDK installed and ROCm installed and all running fine during my testing so far.

(4). Regarding "I just checked the fixes put into the linux kernel and if you look here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/16/899  it looks like there has been a fix put into the linux kernel for Vega cards at end 2017. : drm/amd/display: HDMI YCbCr422 12bpc pixel format issue."

I think we need input from someone in AMD Support team ( ?) on that one.

I am not certain how this is controlled in AMD DC -if a Kernel switch is needed before starting Ubuintu / Linux or if some file under the AMDGPU/PRO driver directories need some obscure hex value changed or whatever.

(5). RE: and only reason why I had gone with AMD Vega as I just bear had enough cash buy one at the time GTX 1070 Ti cost way more

Until recently Zotac GTX 1080Ti mini 11GB was ~ 650 and all AMD Vega 64 here were ~ 650 or more.
                                                  AMD Vega 64 have recently dropped to as low as 514 for Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ 8GB in sale.

I stayed AMD but because Vega was so late I purchased R9 FuryX and R9 Nano.
                                                  Then when Vega was released I find OpenCL performance/price versus RX Vega 64 worked out better on 2 R9 Nanos v 1 RX Vega 64 Liquid based on benchmark data.
                                                  Then AMD provided  no support for Windows 8.1 Drivers on RX580 and Vega, and dropped support for my R9 Nanos.

Gaming performance with 2 R9 Nanos in DX 11 Crossfire / DX12 MultiGPU seems very close or better than Vega 64 on almost everything I have looked at so far, even with my old i7-4700K / i7-4790K CPUs versus people running latest Intel or AMD processors with the Vega 64's.  There are very few games that need 8GB HBM2.

I am not happy to purchase  Vega 64 AIB cards as you may guess.

They are all about 2.5 slots high and have massive heavy coolers and need support bracket because of the power requirement.
                                                  There seem to be reliability / driver issues with some in very recent reviews I have seen on Youtube (Gigabyte Vega 64) ~ 1 year since launch. 
                                                  I cannot find a Vega 64 Liquid anywhere which is the only 2 slot high one I would even consider. They are EOL.
                                                  Even then the power consumption is still a problem for a new card.

I did see PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 2 slot high card which looked good but it was EOL within ~ 1 month...

It looks like Nvidia are working on improving OpenCL support in their drivers. However it is getting to the point where I start to think of just using CUDA for my project.

I really hope AMD do something to get some Vega refresh on lower process node with better performance/price out soon.

Bye.

tuxine

How about this tool?

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f5a3838307034372e706e67

More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/DMRr9

Project page: https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile

Greetings

Tuxine

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                  colesdav

Hi,
                                                  I am going to take a look at this as well - not entirely sure it works with ROCm ... but it is on the AMD page.
                                                  https://gpuopen.com/compute-product/system-status-monitor-opencl-tool/

Bye.

colesdav

Hi,

So seeing as AMD can't be bothered to provide us with a GUI for AMDGPU / AMDGPUPRO drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 LTS,  I had to loose productive time, again, and instead of working and getting paid, I spend time to look at tuxine suggestion of trying out GitHub - marazmista/radeon-profile: Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards (xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-a…

Perhaps if you are an expert Linux user, you will find the installation easy.
                                                    I had a few problems with getting it to compile successfully, and it took me some time to work out what was wrong.
                                                    However. I have managed to get it working in the end.

Here is a video to show you it working:Temporary GUI Control and Monitoring solution on AMDGPU and AMDGPUPRO Ubuntu 16.04. - YouTube

This is only a temporary solution.

There are still a few problems with it.
                                                    It does not report my GPU utilization for example and I need to spend more of my time to debug why.

Here is the correct Answer I think:

AMD need to provide a working GUI with similar features that Nvidia provide on Ubuntu / other Linux.

Some feedback: Installing your drivers has been a pain, you provide no GUI, ROCm installation has been difficult, Vulkan SDK install also showed disconnect between the driver and recommended SDK.

Bye.