4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 8:28 AM by mjpbmp

Intel may be prepping new Core i5, i7 processors to attack AMD Ryzen

kingfish

" AMD’s new Ryzen will launch in early March, and Intel is reportedly prepping changes to its own product lineup to counter any AMD threat. It’s a smart move from Intel if true — the rumors we’ve heard about Ryzen suggest the chip will be a potent competitor, and Intel won’t want to be caught flat-footed. Back in 2003, Chipzilla was forced to rush the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition to market to counter the surprise threat of the Athlon 64, which still wound up winning most games and a number of consumer benchmarks. Intel will want to avoid any repeat of that situation, or the drubbing it would take if AMD’s Ryzen debuts at price points that would challenge Intel’s existing product stack.

Canard PC has details on the rumored updates. First up, there’s the Core i7-7740K — a Kaby Lake chip with a 4.3GHz base frequency and a supposed 4.6GHz Turbo frequency. Next, there’s the Core i5-7640K with a similar modest frequency bump (4GHz base clock compared with 3.8GHz). Canard PC isn’t sure whether this chip would have Hyper-Threading or not. This isn’t a crazy proposal, given that Intel just added Hyper-Threading to the Pentium family, but I think a degree of skepticism is warranted given the timing of these announcements. "

Intel may be prepping new Core i5, i7 processors to attack AMD Ryzen - ExtremeTech

• Re: Intel may be prepping new Core i5, i7 processors to attack AMD Ryzen
          black_zion

I'm not so sure it's a response to AMD as much as it is a response of the collective results of third party benchmarks of the Kaby Lake processors being "If you have Skylake, don't upgrade, if you have Haswell or Broadwell, there is little reason to upgrade, if you have Ivy Bridge, there is still little reason to upgrade." The 7700k is only 33% faster than the 5 year old 3770K (the 7700k is 700mhz, or about 15%, faster in clock speed, however) and still holds its own in games quite easily, as it is still 30% faster than the FX-8350.

Intel switching from Netburst to Core 2 then to i3/i5/i7 were their last real innovative move, ever since then it's been small performance increases on the Tick and increases in efficiency on the Tock, FOR 10 YEARS. I am not kidding, look at it! In 10 years Intel has only been able to improve performance by 87% (and that is with a 1.2ghz clock advantage to the 7700, so clock for clock you're looking at 70-75%)

AMD, on the other hand, in 5 years, has not really increased performance any as the market did not move to the server, HPC, and console ideology of "multiple small cores, multiple threads, efficient and fast", but stuck with Intel's "BIG CORE! BIG SPEED! BETTER!" philosophy.

I don't count the 9590 because it shouldn't exist. It sucks power like crazy, throws off more heat than Donald Trump, and only provides a very marginal performance improvement over the 8350

Ryzen will give AMD a massive performance boost yes, but it's only because they've had a massive performance detriment over the last decade. Heck, it took AMD 5 years to counter the i7-950

If Intel is scared of anything, it's the same thing nVidia was scared of when AMD released the HD 4870. nVidia had to assassinate their prices overnight and go back to doing more than rebadging the same card for 5 years. Behind closed doors Intel knows that AMD will never have this kind of performance leap again (part of it is the fact that AMD is skipping a few manufacturing nodes and going to 14nm FinFET from 32nm SOI), and that they've gotta gear up for thinner margins due to a price war, but they still have an advantage for 7nm, and they know the first to manufacture at 7nm will enjoy a nice lead for a while the same way Samsung did with its 3DNAND, but that's years off, and both companies should move to 10nm at about the same time.

Either way, the customer SHOULD win for the first time in a decade.

• Re: Intel may be prepping new Core i5, i7 processors to attack AMD Ryzen
            mjpbmp

I also read that the Intel release will have the higher clock speeds to stay on top performance wise (in their estimation), but they will still be over 110 TDP.