mikchel

Hello,

I'm trying to make some of PC upgrade and bought following components:

Athlon X4 880k,

ASUS A88X-PRO

16 Gb of DDR3 memory

Sapphire RX 460 4GB GDDR5 128b OC NITRO

STRIX-RX460-O4G-GAMING

I'm planning to try this videocards in crossfire mode.

I purchaised Zalman ZM650-XG as PSU.

I don't have plans to make additional overclocking.

Please tell me is 650 W PSU is enough for such system?

WBR,

• Re: PSU for RX460 Crossfire
          black_zion

Over twice the capacity you need, so there won't be a problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            hardcoregames™

A 650W PSU is will do but you might want to consider moving up to 850W if you are into dual cards

black_zion

Even aftermarket RX 460's pull under 100w, so there is no reason to go higher than 650w, as the rest of the system will not even come close to 300w.

mikchel

Hello

In some of reviews i saw that RX460 in crossfire mode takes about 400W.

for example

PC Ekspert - Hardware EZine - ASUS Radeon RX 460 Strix 4GB – Crossfire test

But it was not clear for me - does full system consume 400W or only graphical part.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

WBR,

black_zion

Total system power, which is considerably more powerful than yours

Test sistem :: Hardware 

Matična ploča
                        Asus Rampage IV Extreme
                        Procesor(i)Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4.5GHz
                        Memorija4x 4GB DDR3 G.Skill @ 1866MHz
                        Grafičke
                        kartice
                        ASUS RX 460 STRIX 4GB; Driveri: 16.8.1.
                        Zvučna
                        kartica
                        On Board
                        NapajanjeSuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1200W
                        SSDCorsair Neutron XT 480GB
                        MonitorDell UltraSharp U2713HM
                          hardcoregames™

I recommend being very conservative with power supplies, I use a Corsair TX850V2 which has been able to handle anything I can toss at it

mikchel

Well, this week i will assemble whole system and see is it enough or not...hope that this PSU be enough for beginning usage and later will decide what is the next step.

Thanks hor help

hardcoregames™

A PSU is generally at its most efficient at 40-50% load

mikchel

Hello,

After a month of using this system ican tell that generally it is working fine, but last couple of days it become reboot or freeze in any random moment. It can be 3d appication or just desctop, it can be in Windows or Linux.

I'm trying to detect the reason of problem...may be PSU is trarted to die, may be motherboard.

I used Hwmon pro remote connection to see what is happening with temperatures and voltages. Generally i can not see anything really bad.

Well it is a pitty that my AMD experience finished so fast.

hardcoregames™

which make and model PSU do you have, I use Corsair which is fairly good. I have not had issues. I use way more capacity than needed to be conservative.

mikchel

Hello, i use Zalman ZM650-XG (please see first post of topic).

Looks like ASUS A88X-pro is too smart and have some bugs in BIOS or windows utilities.

Actually i did not overclock my system, just adjust some fun parameters. A couple weeks ago my PC started randomly to reboot after booting, and it was exactly 1 time per day when i switched on my PC. I thought that ok, may be system is trying to adjust some of parameters to work better, it was not comfortable, but acceptable. But last week my system started to reboot or hung in any random moment. I decided that some of componets is near to die.

May be PSU, or motherboard, may be CPU or video cards.

I tried to find working combination of hardware but no luck. I moved to previous AMD drivers but it also did not help. After that i wrote my post here - looks my system is near to die.

Last thing that i did it was setting CPU voltage as "Standard" but not "Optimized" in ASUS AI Suite. Looks like it made my system more stable. I will see if it helps.

So looks like reason of problem too smart ASUS motherboard utilities which has bugs in code. At least i hope so. It is more attractive than change some of hardware parts

But from other point of view - this problem also was when i run Linux OS. In this case it is hard to blame ASUS's windows utilities .

In result - system is working unstable and i can not find the root of problem right now.

WBR,

hardcoregames™

Your PSU seems to be enough current, for a pair of RX 460 cards which are 75W each.

Check to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard

My opinion of Asus has been tarnished as they do not last very long. Last board I bought was MSI and it has last much longer.