15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 3:57 AM by rekzzix

Displayport, Freesync, black screen issues, and a potential fix (LG & AMD)

enex

Updated 12/13/16 with new solution; see Edit comment.

Hi,

Just posting a potential fix if anyone else is running into the same problem and searching for answers.

Relevant hardware:

XFX RX 480 RS 8 GB, latest driver as of 12/07/16

LG Electronics Ultrawide 34UC79G-B using Displayport

Windows 10

Settings:

2560x1080@144 Hz, Freesync on in AMD control panel and in monitor settings

Description of issue:

Black screen intermittently in fullscreen 3D applications where the application does not crash or otherwise lock up, but will resume normally within several seconds.

Reproduction of issue:

Monitor will black out intermittently during intense 3D application usage. Multiple occurrences during stress testing and during normal 3D application usage.

See link at bottom for video of issue.

Potential Fix:

Turning off Displayport 1.2 support in the monitor's settings using the OSD resolved the issue.

EDIT:

Changing the display color depth to 6 bpc (from 8) in Radeon Additional Settings has resolved the issue completely with Display Port 1.2/Freesync enabled.

Link to video of issue (from another user with the same problem): LG 34UC88 - Displayport Freesync Issues - Disconnects - Blank Screen and sound cutting out - Vid 1 - YouTube

• Re: Displayport, Freesync, black screen issues, and a potential fix (LG & AMD)
          joelster

having this issue with RX vega 56 and acer xg270HU, changing display color depth does not fix the problem for me. The problem disapears when disabling freesync

--------

ryzen r7 1700

16 gb ram

msi b350 tomahawk artic

RX Vega 56 - 17.8.2 driver

acer XG270HU - DP-connection

Windows 10 pro 1703

• Re: Displayport, Freesync, black screen issues, and a potential fix (LG & AMD)
            nicodonald

Same issue, AMD fury X, acer xg270hu with display port, black screen while gaming looking like signal loss.

No issue when freesync is disabled.

Issue seem to be resolved (or not as bad) with 17.4.3 drivers

padrefalcone

Yup same issue here, RX Vega 56 and samsung c24fg73.

chemecal

Have this same issue. Intermittent black screens, loud popping noises from monitor, flicker/corruption. I've verified it's only related to DisplayPort and not HDMI. It's worse at higher refresh rates and higher memory clocks. I've not attempted to lock the memory clock to min or max yet. Tried multiple DP cables which marginally makes it better or worse. Freesync aggravates the issue.

Really frustrating since I forked out quite a bit of money to get 144hz Freesync.

Win 10. Latest crimson drivers as of this date (17.9.3). Sapphire R290 TRI-X OC on an Acer XF240H monitor.

EDIT: SOLVED.  SEE REPLY BELOW.

chemecal

I have solved (for now) the issue of black screening / flicker / artifacts with DP 1.2a and Freesync at 144 hz.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. DOING THIS MAY DAMAGE YOUR MONITOR.

1)     In Radeon Settings, go to Display > Specs > Override.  Adjust Voltage Swing to '2'.  (I believe this raises the voltage across the DP cable to the monitor which stabilizes signal for higher refresh speeds.  I don't know this for sure.)

2)     Back out to the Display menu again.  Adjust Color Depth from whatever it is now, to a lower value, then back to the current / original value.  This was an original workaround that greatly reduced the frequency of my blackscreens.  In my case, I would adjust from 8 bpc to 6 bpc then back to 8 bpc.  I don't know why this helped, but it did.

For now, the voltage swing adjustment has cured it for me. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    theoneaboveall

I have the same monitor and same problem, but using 6bpc is basically halving monitoring color reproduction capability and yes it will use less bandwidth and solves the problem but you will lose so much color detail this way

have you found any other solution? did the voltage bump work for you?

rekzzix

I have the same problem.but different monitor . when I turn freesync off I have no problems but with freesync I have blackouts for a few seconds without any logs showing me any sign of failure (voltage , frequency ) . the games which this happens are only league of legends and csgo . World of tanks for example has never shown me a black screen , maybe due to the lower FPS

zboard

Hey i have the same issue(Black Screen for 2-3 secs, everything keeps running, is not a crash, also some brightness flickering, a common issue with freesync). Might be good to share our specs. Here are mine

Monitor: Viewsonic XG2730 using VESA DP

CPU: Ryzen 1700x 3.9ghz @ 1.2875

GPU: Sapphire VEGA 64 NITRO+ Slightly undervolted and latest bios, (Samsung mems)

MoBo: ASRock Taichi x370 P3.30 BIOS

RAM:2x8 Gb Corsair Vengeance @2933 (Hynix)

PSU:EVGA G3 650W

SSD:Samsung Evo 850 250gb

I play mostly Guild Wars 1 and 2 and LoL.

- In LoL, with freesync active is common a black screen every 3-4h or sometimes 3 or 4 in 20 minutes...

- In Guild Wars 2 is not common, mostly because is bad optimized and doesnt go above 90 fps in a lot of scenarios, but it DOES happen

In Guild Wars 1 is much more noticeable, happens repeatedly every 20-30 mins 1 or more times, in this game i also have massive fps drop and stuttering, only in this game, will try a reinstall.

If i disable Freesync, Black Screens are gone, as far as i've tested.

Tried a lot of troubleshotting like: buying new VESA certified DP cable, fresh windows install, different drivers (always using ddu), changing cable voltage in radeon settings, changing gpu scaling... nothing worked. Only thing go ensure good 1440p 144fps STABLE gaming is TURNING FREESYNC OFF, which is absurd considering i only bought this monitor because of freesync. This also erase the brightness flickering which is a known freesync issue

My PC is really stable as it passed tons of benchs and stress tests for every component, so i dont think its hardware related.

Previous to this monitor (XG2730) i had a ver old 17 inches Belinea, capable of 75 hz. Never had a single black screen

Interesting thing about this new monitor is that appears as VIEWSONIC XG2730(HDMI2_2.0), so i went to update manual controllers and there i have options for HDMI 1.4 and DP but doesnt matter if i install any, monitor is still figuring as VIEWSONIC XG2730(HDMI2_2.0), i guess is not related but who knows.

rekzzix

wow this is exactly my problem , literally the same . The fixes you tried I also was afraid would fix it but now I'm glad that they I haven't done them as they were pointless as it seems.

My Specs:

Monitor: iiyama G-Master GB2760-QSU-B1

CPU: i5 4460 Quad-Core 3.2 GHz , boost to 3.4

GPU: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX580 (1411Mhz, 2125 MHz, power limit +50%) , Samsung memory , without overclock and PL it doesn't change the problem .

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Rev. 1.0 (Latest Bios , 2015)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600Mhz CL9 - 2 * 4GB

PSU: Corsair CS550M Gold rated

SSD: Crucial MX100 128GB

HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Yeah in league of legends it's most of the time one black screen per ranked game (~30Min) , but sometimes I'm lucky and it doesn't appear at all one game. When freesync is turned off , the issue is gone 100% of the time . It's easy to test @amd , literally pick up one of these monitors and test league , I guess you will find someone who plays league for one or two ranked games to confirm the issue .

punkmunster

Radeon RX 580

LG 22M45HQ (HDMI 1.3)

HDMI cable (1.4 or 1.3 i guess)

This started with purple screens when laugthing some games. Then I have changed pixel format under 'Display' in Radeon Settings to '4:4:4 RGB PC Standard'...