2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 12:01 PM by kingfish
      • Re: Windows 7 will not update...fresh install

Yup, this solution is wonderful!

Windows 7 is the last traditional desktop O/S from Microsoft, and the server counterpart, Windows Server 2008 R2 is the last version with support of Itanium machine. How much I missed the days when we were at the dawning of 64-bit era, expecting the countless messages on 64-bit version of Windows 2000, Alpha or Itanium. The computer on my mind should be a perfect workstation running on Windows NT Workstation. As time goes by everything changed, AMD64 processor released, it seemed change everything what should become, and game consoles and other smart devices also put motivation of modern O/S to completely another direction.

Comparing the styles of GUIs of Windows 7 and Windows 10, the latter turns to back to days when Windows 2000 was brought, rectangle and solid. But Windows 7 has a very modern face, transparent and round. Many things turns Windows 10 has no ways to replace Windows 7, especially when people wanting a desktop and mobile independently.

Windows 7 is great for it utilised the GPU resources to implement the basic representation of GUI, it tries its best to exploit the power of additional processor. Not sacrificing anything, but put them all work at most at possible. This thing drives the traditional processor to evolve into an APU. But what is a perfect APU, I have experienced many things. The most appreciated product is neither from both Intel nor AMD, but from SIT. I do really appreciate the processor deployed by SONY Playstation 3. It is a asymmetric multi-core processor, it is a real APU. That thing different from today's AMD APU, which incorporate the GPGPU core alongside its processor core. Cell processor provides additional assistant cores, which could be utilised by applications in programming styles like traditional one. With help of such things it could work a lot. But the integrated GPGPU is essentially another GPU card, even though OpenCL is provided for general computing. But it is hard to utilise to implement applications. This also set a block and incur a question, why buy another GPU and disable the integrated one for sacrificing what has already had?

If future AMD APU could put a change to its core design, making its integrated GPU different from independent GPU, that might open up another computing world. In my own opinion, the integrated GPU need preserved, but implement in another way, not using the traditional GPU way, but using the similar way like the assistant processors in Cell. Using the specificallised general processor cores to implement GPGPU,  those special cores could also be utilised as the accelerators when independent GPU is provided for the application programmers.

• Re: Windows 7 will not update...fresh install
            kingfish

The general feeling of people who refuse to "upgrade" to Win10 from Win7 is summed up by the latest post on that forum:

"I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist and I have a hard time believing that Microsoft would deliberately sabotage the updates.  Call me naive...

With that said, MS is certainly aware of the issue and the workaround described herein.  Further, it doesn't take much labor or cost much to remove a bad update, so I am at a loss as to why MS doesn't do something or anything.

There are other Windows Update versions that operate correctly and it seems like Microsoft could simply remove the defective version to solve the problem.  But they don't."

"Actually I think MS has got it exactly right from a Corporate point of view. IMHO this is an effort to thwart the use of W7 in lieu of a newer OS. This problem has existed for so long there is no other logical explanation. This is a intentional effort to prevent updates on a "supported" OS. MS makes little money on supporting W7, however, quiet a bit or revenue is made on sales of new OS's to end users, corporations, educational, and government entities. So a deliberate update "foul" has been thrown our for clean installs of W7. However, I was utterly shocked to find this also applies to WSUS. I am in the process of configuring a new domain for a near future roll out. Needing a reasonable way to keep workstations up to date I thought to incorporate WSUS, a tried and true method. I spent a lot of time trying to get WSUS to work with virtual W7 machines (A LOT OF TIME!). I was amazed, shocked, angered to find that even WSUS does not overcome this "foul". Starting over numerous times, I have discovered that installation of the two previously mentioned patches before providing Internet access to my VM's immediately resolved the WSUS issue. "