11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2017 4:46 PM by deadman3000

RX 480 and LG 4K/HDR OLED, no 10bit and no HDR

hitman

HI,

I have a high spec HTPC with an RX 480 (latest 16.11.2) and I have the HDMI connected to a Denon x4200w (hdmi 2.0a) then to my LG 4k/HDR 10bit OLED TV (65EF950v) (hdmi 2.0a) but when I select 3840x2160 @ 60hz, the bit depth option becomes grey'd out and is only showing only 8bpc, trying a HDR movie clip I get no HDR enabled sign on the TV and the clip stays dark, also the new Youtube HDR videos also do not activate HDR on my display.

I did read an updated driver was due, posted back in August and wondered if HDR was now enabled in the current drivers?

HTPC Spec

Asus Z170I pro gaming

Intel I7 6700

8gb (2x4gb) memory

Samsung 950 pro Nvme M.2 512gb SSD

Sapphire Rx 480 Nitro+ OC 8gb

• Re: RX 480 and LG 4K/HDR OLED, no 10bit and no HDR
          hitman

Ok, I've resolved the 10 bit setting by selecting the right colourspace and hz output settings but now looking at finding a player that supports HDR for testing that side.

amdmatt

I'll do some investigation and get back to you.

hitman

Thank you Matt,

I've got a little further with this, I managed to get hold of a HDR game called shadow warrior 2 and this also did not enable HDR whilst using 4K res, however when I changed resolution down to 1080p, HDR became enabled on the display and worked great.

I will continue to try different driver settings, combinations to try and get back to 4K res with a working HDR solution for games.

Then i will apply this to hdr movie playback and see if it also works, I have not yet tried hdr movie clips with 1080p yet using these settings now working for games running @1080p

I will check more into this over the weekend and report back my findings.

hitman

Ok, further updated to this...

I can now play the HDR enabled game fine 'with the correct driver settings' at 1080p and 4k and HDR works perfectly, however using the same settings and trying to playback HDR movie clips I cannot get HDR to work at all.

So the issue remains with HDR enabled movie clips, they playback but without HDR and no HDR activating on the display.

Players used...

Windows media player

Media player classic - Home cinema (latest version)

5Kplayer (said to have full HDR support for movie/clips)

YouTube HD - HDR movie clips

Test clips used from this site....

Demo UHD-3D - Ultra-HD / 4K / HDR / 3D

mclingo

amdmatt   Hi, any update on this, thread has gone quiet, NVIDIA now have HDR for movie playback via SDK but nothing yet from AMD.

gereral1

Because of lack of HDR support I wrote HDR program called XDR to force metadata in mpcbe to make dull YouTube HDR and uhd4k look exact like the hardware players for HDR. Google the Kodi HDR project and visit the main thread to learn more. Xdrcal is the next mp3 for wav or XDR for HDR. This app is awesome and supports 16bit float, 10 bit float and 10bit full screen p10 main with hardware acceleration for RX series GPUs with custom presenter filter and directx full screen . glitch free vibrant 4k HDR on a PC finally with XDR . 1000 plus lines of code. This is what I use. Madvr still has issues with AMD HDR. My program does HDR processing in PC leaving desktop alone and the TV alone. Your settings are stored in xdrcal meda data file and called on desktop or kodi.

Tested on 21 titles with perfect results.

deadman3000

This does not work for me as my TV has to switch to HDR mode in order to understand that it is receiving an HDR signal and to push more nits. Simply sending HDR colorspace does not do anything other than send as a higher colorspace on my TV (LG OLED55B6). I have to have Windows 10 switched to HDR mode for the TV to correctly set its nits output correctly when receiving an HDR signal. I can do similar to what your addon is doing just by changing the display to 10 bit in Radeon settings and MadVR to emulated HDR colorspace. The problem I have is I need HDR mode to auto switch on and off in Windows 10 when an HDR movie is being played otherwise the nits value on the TV remains on standard values. Plus I have a calibrated HDR setting on the TV I need engaged.

gereral1

Nits do not get enabled on your hdr tv. The tv is always ready to receive hdr at all times. Its only when the metadata tag is sent via hdmi that the tv switchs its color to bt2020 and sets the contrast and brightness off and lets the metadata tags add it to show the hdr picture. Windows 10 attempt to remove the contrast and brightness happens when you slide the hdr tab to on. The screen becomes pale. An hdr uhd file is pale at the start. Not sure if you understand how it works. Forget gamma curve and nits. HDR is 10 points contrast added to produces the dynamic range of the content. Take any uhd file and load it in xdr. Adjust the contrast up and brightness down. match the saturation with contrast leave the tint at 0 if you can force the advanced color to set it to bt2020. If not add 12 points tint to make up for the color shift as and hdr file appears dull in bt709 mode. Adding bt2020 if you can will give you the deeper blues and reds and greens. The tv can remain in vivid mode or whatever picture mode you use for normal bluray. As for Madvr its is totally wrong when using the dci options to convert hdr to sdr. It makes the shadows way to dark and blows out the darks. XDR leaves the whitelevel at the highest it can go while retaining the blacks through the entire spectrum. The only way to put this to rest is to have the original uhd disk and a captured copy. Run the original in hdr mode then run it on pc with xdr adjustments with hdr off on windows and hdr off on the hdr tv. Watch both. THEY ARE EXACT!!!

deadman3000

Does not work for me. I can set to 10 bit and get BT2020 playback if I set it in the xdr.cal file no problemo. But none of those sliders (or editing them in the file) gives me the light output that playing back HDR via HDR mode on the TV does. The light levels are SDR levels. I can push contrast and brightnes around as much as I like in XDR/MPC-BE64 and it makes not a hoot of difference.

EDIT: A new version of MadVR just came out which fixes the issue. HDR switching now works correctly so I have no need for your pgram. Thanks for trying though.