14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 4:49 AM by jfgrissom

Random black screen on RX480

koirin

Okay, so to begin with, I will post my specs for the PC.

Operating System:  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU:  Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50GHz  Skylake 14nm Technology

RAM:  16.0GB DDR4 @ 1065MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z170X-Gaming 7 (U3E1)

Graphics card:   8192MB ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics (ATI)

Monitor:  BenQ GL2450 (1920x1080@60Hz) (old one, I know)

Storage:  465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 32 °C

931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB10C (SATA) 30 °C

Now to the problem. I can't remember after which update, or if it is even the AMD software that is causing this.

But in the past few weeks, I've been experiencing random black screens on my computer. The black screen would only appear in a blank second, and that was it. No error messages or nothing.

I've seen a few threads around the forums, where people have had the same problem with the 4xx series, but they've all also had the problem while gaming. And this is where my situation doesn't fit.

Because this only happens while surfing Chrome, and nothing else. I have yet to encounter the black screen while gaming or watching a movie. Also, I've had no other issues with the card at all. Only the black screens.

Yet no thread, which has mostly described my problem, have concluded with it being a faulty or broken card. All ended with it being a software problem, and that Afterburner, could have been the cause. I've uninstalled Afterburner and rebooted the computer, yet it still happens.

The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling the AMD drivers, but something tells me it won't work. If anyone has suggestions, I am more than willing to listen, because it's getting annoying.

Best regards, Sebastian.

• Re: Random black screen on RX480
          amdmatt

Navigate to Radeon Settings > Display and make sure GPU scaling is off and scaling mode is set to Full Panel.

2 of 3 people found this helpful
            benjamin

I do use a Radeon 460, but I do get random black screen flashes as well. My setup is for graphic design work, so I mostly notice this in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. After these black screen flashes, the canvas area goes completely black as well and stays that way, until I break the window out of fullscreen mode. After that redraw works again.

ScreenClip_black_screen.png

I use a Dual screen setup, one monitor on the HDMI and the other on the DVI port. Both at 1680x1050px.

My Specs:

Radeon Software Version - 16.9.2

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Windows Version - Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

System Memory - 64 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz

730W Thermaltake 80 Gold

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0916.1515.27418

Driver Packaging Version - 16.40.2311-160916a-307329C

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1571

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01221

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.14008

OpenCL™ Version - 6.14릍 0.14008

AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0146

AMD Mantle API Version - 98310

AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.0

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.3.0

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.21

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics

Device ID - 67EF

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - E344

SubSystem Vendor ID - 174B

Revision ID - CF

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.050.000.000

BIOS Part Number - 113-C99404-O0A

BIOS Date - 2016/09/08 04:56

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1750 MHz

Core Clock - 1250 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 112 GByte/s

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

drugskill101

I don't have a AMD  card I have a nividia gtx 980ti and I'm having the same problem.  it flashes black for a milliseconds its like Its changing the resolution .I  think it might even be doing that. i just recently started using a 4k screen and  even if I lower the resolutionit still does it.  i haven't tried lowering to 1080p to see if it still does but I think it's a windows 10 problem not a graphics card issue cuz i have nividia and u have AMD.

benjamin

Interesting theory. But I have BOTH an NVIDIA 970 GT and an AMD Radeon RX 460. The flashes only occur when i plug monitors into the AMDs outputs.

The NVIDIA does not have that problem. That is not saying, the problem might not originate with Windows, but it certainly does not with my NVIDIA as the main display.

drugskill101

well its not a theory cuz I'm STILL  having the  same problems as u guys  that why I stumpled on to this post .  my whole computer is intel and nividia .  my graphics card was made by EVGA. I don't know what its is yet bujt for us having this issues around the same time must mean something . maybe one of our settings  . when I think back a few days ago I set my dynamic range to full that might help by turning it back down ill let u guys know what happens

aynakomikey

Just a quick follow-up: I haven't had the issue ever since I updated to 16.11.4.

drugskill101

benjamin  posted December 1 .,.. that's what I ment by same time when I replyed back to HIM.  but I changed my output DYNAMIC RANGE  settings FROM  full back to limited and I think it work .  that might be why the Benjamins AMD  card is messing up and the 970 is working because of the different control panels different settings

drugskill101

IT SEEMS I DID FIX IT FOR MY CARD AT LEAST IT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME ALL DAY  EVER SINCE I CHANGED MY  DYNAMIC RANGE SETTINGS TO (LIMITED) . IT ALSO SAYS (LIMITED) IS WHAT MOST TV USE. JUST IM CASE THE RESOULUTION BLINKING IS IN FACT HAPPENING ON A TV INSTEAD OF A MONITOR THAT SHOULD FIX IT ... I WISH U GUYS THE BEST