10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 9:37 AM by catchabreak

What type of power supply unit is recommended for FX-9590? 

arf31

I have assembled a system with the following specs: CPU: AMD FX9590, MB: ASUS M5 A99FX Pro r2.0, GPU: Radeon HD 5450, AVEXIER 16GB and SSD: CORSAIR FORCE LS 240Gb. The system had a few problems. It kept freezing at random. It also break down two 600 W PSUs when I tried to run a heavy computational program in parallel on 8 and then 6 of the cores. Do you think I need a better PSU? What power supply do you recommend?

• Re: What type of power supply unit is recommended for FX-9590? 
          black_zion

A Corsair, SeaSonic, Enermax, or SuperFlower 750w unit is what you need. Also, why the HD 5450 with that setup, and I assume you are using a liquid cooler?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            techguy

All FX CPUs draw a lot of power because they have 8 actual cores working all the time. The power rating of a PSU can be misleading as current day PCs use the 12v PSU rail for most of the power required to run a PC. So a 600w and 750w PSU may have similar 12v rail Amps, because PSU makers tend to increase all of the ampacity of the various 12v, 5v, 3.3v rails when they up the PSU total power rating. The FX-9000 series CPUs are 220w vs. the std. FX-8000 series 125w CPUs. That means you need almost TWIVE the current capacity from the PSU to properly power any FX-9000 series CPU. In addition there are many cheap quality/priced PSUs that are over rated for power or unable to provide the specified power for more than a few minutes before they overheat.

The FX-9000 series CPUs need a Minimum of 54 amps. or more available on the 12v PSU rail - from a QUALITY PSU that can provide this current continuously at normal PC operating temps (typically 50C PSU internal temp), without failure. If you have a high powered or dual GPU cards you will need even more amps to properly power your PC.You can find Proper PSU reviews at JonnyGuru.com or HardwareSecrets.com that will show/tell you if the internal PSU components are quality or crap and if the actual PSU design is proper or low budget, poor design that isn't suitable for any modern performance PC. There are a number of PSU calculators online to help figure out what you need. These PSUs will NOT show exactly the same results because they use different strategies to determine what wattage you need based on  limited data input. The more accurate info. you can input the better the PSU recommendation will be. More is always better than less but you don't need to go crazy and buy a 1000w QUALITY PSU if your PC only requires 750W or similar. Regardless of the recommended PSU wattage you MUST have 54+ Amps. available on the 12v rail(s).

FWIW - IME Seasonic produces the best PSUs at the lowest retail prices. Seasonic actually produces PSUs for many companies who just place their name/badge on the outside of the PSU. JonnyGuru/HardwareSecrets will tell you if this is the case when they test the PSUs. Unfortunately some of the re-badging companies specify lower quality "price point" PSUs from Seasonic or other quality PSU manufacturers, so what may seem like a good PSU at a lower price than the Seasonic equivalent model PSU, may not be as good a PSU as the real deal Seasonic PSU.

catchabreak

try to find a power supply with a single 12v rail. if it has multiple rails you could be pulling 250-300W or more on a single rail for the cpu and that could be why your  psu`s are dying . A good 750w single 12v rail psu would make a good match

arf31

Thank you for the info techguy and catchabreak!   I took my system to a repair shop.  They said they had tested the PSU that I had and it was not "real" 600W!  They put a 600W PSU of another brand and it didn't break down when the CPU was under full load. From the specs it can provide 45A on the 12v rail. However, the freezing problem was still there.  Their opinion is that the driver circuits for CPU on the MoBo get too hot (touching the heat sinks on the MoBo, I can confirm this)  and the system needs a very good cooling for MoBo as well. 

catchabreak

when I got my fx8350 I rma  two  motherboards because they wouldn't work with my cpu. I finally settled on the ASUS crosshair v formula z ROG. Can run Four graphics cards at once so the voltage regulators are probably higher power than stock boards, but they can run up to 100C under full load. The freezing does seam to indicate you have either temperature or voltage problems, did you use F5 to load optimised settings. If you using a Radeon graphics card don't install the software on disk. Plays havoc now with the new crimson drivers. Only alter settings with crimson drivers for gpu control. The overclock software runs ok  then crashes. I have the same bios as you. here is a link to over clocking  with your bios Beginners Guide: How to overclock AMD Processors FX-8350 Piledriver - YouTube  now I don't suggest you overclock yours but it gives useful information on increasing the load-line for better stabilisation. It may look slightly different because he is using a older bios and some of the settings in there have had name changes. These settings can help just don't bother with the multipliers

arf31

Just an update:  I got a new good quality 600W PSU, and new large air cooling for the CPU.  I also had to buy a new chassis for the cooling to fit in. It resolved the freezing problem to a large extent but still was not good enough for me.  The computer still froze under heavy Matlab code using parfor command after several hours.  By watching the video posted by catchabreak ( Beginners Guide: How to overclock AMD Processors FX-8350 Piledriver - YouTube ) I learned many things including how to change the CPU speed. By running prime95.exe torture test the computer froze much faster than when running Matlab.  Also the temperature went to 84C. I tried to provide better cooling for the MoBo heatsinks using a cold hairdryer, however, it didn't work either. Then I reduced CPU speed from 4.7GHz to 4GHz by reducing the CPU multiplier from Auto (apparently 23.5) to 20.  This was helpful but not completely.  Next, I reduced the speed to 4GHz by reducing CPU bus speed from 200 to 171MHz (=4000/23.5). The system didn't have any problem under prime95.exe torture test. Last night I put the computer under heavy Matlab load.  It didn't freeze but for some Matlab bug it got stock at some point (at the end of parfor loop).  Now I am running my parallel Matlab code on the system agian, and it is working fine.  The temperature is below 67C and the system seems stable.

Btw,  freezing often happens in Matlab when a few cores have finished their job and the rest of the cores are still working.  It seems that the system overstresses the remaining cores and it the cause of the failure.

catchabreak

Gratz on getting it to work. Any size fan to suck air out or blow air in will lower case temps there by making the cpu cooler more efficient

600 Watt psu is fine, If your going to add a  high power graphics card 150watts or more, then I would  go for a 750watt psu.

600watt should be plenty but I would rather have more headroom and less strain on the psu.

AS for cooling a 240mm or  280mm all in one water solution would be the best solution.

blah, blah, blah, yes they can leak, the psu can blow, hard drive can fail, your house can burn down.

But it is still the best solution.

You will need cooling for the motherboard chips, sb, nb, vr`s and ram if you go for this solution

Got a 120mm AOI on my FX8350 4.6GHz OC and that is not enough,  prime95 or cpu rendering all 8 cores at 100% sends temps to 63 + after 10 minutes