3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 5:08 AM by mclingo

RX 480 hardware video decoding not working. Both Full and Ultra HD.

saebasan

Hi everyone,

Here is my configuration:

Video player: VLC 2.2.1 64x with DXVA2.0 option & MPC-HC 1.7.10 64x

Drivers tried: Crimson 16.7.3, 16.8.3, 16.9.1 (today)

Intel i5 3570k (No oc)

20 Go DDR3

PowerColor RX480 8Gb on PCIe3.0 (Silent mode, no OC, should be the more stable)

Here is the problem:

IMG_5648.JPG

This video is an UltraHD 4K coded in HEVC.

The result is unwatchable with an RX480 and DXVA turn on.

4K is the worth.

But, many issues as well in 1080 FullHD.

Videos flow jerky, especially where there are movements.

My videos come from a Nikon D800, a Panasonic DMC-GF5 and an Iphone 6.

All are in 1080, H.264, MPEG-4 very common standards nowaday.

As a result, I watch my videos using software/CPU decoding. There is a lack of service from this video card.

Reading at the specifications, all videos decoding/encoding should be fluent until 4K, H.265. I've tried with the 2 of the most famous video players. Perhaps some differant are needed??? But,

http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/graphics/radeon-rx-series/radeon-rx-480

"Stream and record your favorite games up to 4K, H.265, 60 FPS with virtually no performance impact"

PowerColor Official Website - Graphics, Cases, Power Supply -- PowerColor Red Devil Radeon™ RX 480 8GB GDDR5

"AMD HD Media Accelerator
      Assumes rendering responsibility for HD encode (VCE)/decode (MPEG-4 ASP, H.264. MVC, MPEG2, etc.) and conclusively enable superior video playback quality with advanced hardware post-processing algorithms."

To AMD, do you have a comment, solution, recommandation?

Waiting for an answer.

Regards

P.S. After some complementary tests, it seems that the videos from the Iphone 6 work better

• Re: RX 480 hardware video decoding not working. Both Full and Ultra HD.
          saebasan

UP

6 months later, the PROBLEM still remains. Exactly the same issue.

I have installed the latest drivers last week, but this card is still unable to handle hardware decoding, and this from day 1.

Is it a joke?

A REEL and relevent solution is needed.

saebasan

Okay,

After more than 6 wait-months, finally a working solution  appeared.

m_ray recommended me to completely disinstall and to reinstall the last Crimpson drivers.

So, When I did it, I reinstalled the software bundle Crimpson 17.4.1, (included the driver 17.10 )

At the same time I updated my CODEC pack to LAV 0.69, and to be sure that the player reconized it, I updated MPC-HC to 1.7.11 revision. (All in 64 bit)

Now, it is finally working, using MPC player only.

CPU use only between 0-4% watching a 4K heavy movie in HEVC through a gigabyte ethernet network.

Skipping from part to part of the file is instant. No lag, no artefact. (Which was not the case using software decoding by the cpu with an i5 3570K)

However, with MPC player only. It is not working on VLC yet.

For a totally consistant solution, we should wait more updates here and there, but at least it is useable to built a 4K HCPC.

Hope this will help.

mclingo

4k was was an issue for me, its h264 interlaced and this problem still remains unfixed. You play the movies fine but if you skip you get awful corruption which can last for a moment or a good ten seconds.

I just think this card is a peice of crap for video use but I need to remain ATI for me 3D stuff, its better at 3D than NVIDA, otherwise I would have drop this crap ages ago.

its a very decent gaming card though for a reasonable price, just wish AMD would remember that at lot of people buy these cards, 480/470/460 for 4k HTPC's, none of them work well.

Guess we;ll just have to hope the next gen fixes this, I think there is a fundamental issue with their silicon though which they may not resolve easily, or perhaps they just dont care about HTPC users which is equally likely.

either way they are actively closing down threads where this problem is mentioned so expect this to get closed at some point.