9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 8:57 AM by rustypyruz

RX 480 Freezing Issue

mclovinwalck

After building my new computer and attempting to run a few a games I have ran into a freezing problem. The freezes seem to happen at random, i could be playing for 10 minutes or a few hours before it freezes to point where I have to reboot the whole system. CTRL + ALT + DEL has not effect. I thought this may be a heat issue so I upped my fan speed, didn't help the issue. Its either a problem with the drivers or the PSU, but i haven't a clue.

System specs

Radeon Software Version/Edition - 16.8.2/Crimson

Graphics Chipset- Radeon RX 480

Graphics Card- MSI RX 480 8Gb (Reference Card) Amazon.com: MSI Computer HDR VR Ready FinFET DirectX 12 Graphic Card Radeon RX 480 8G: Computers & Accessories

Windows Version- 10

CPU- FX 9590 Eight Core

RAM- 16Gb

PSU- Rosewill ARC M650

Mother Board- ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z

I have played a whole bunch of games to see if it was a single one causing a problem. I usually run them at the high/ultra settings. No matter if it was World of Tanks or Fallout, it freezes eventually.

• Re: RX 480 Freezing Issue
          amdmatt

What you have described could be caused by software or hardware. Initially i would recommend a system clean up and a fresh installation of our latest driver and I will list some troubleshooting steps which you can try.

Run the Windows Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) and System File Check (SFC) tools as Administrator. The DISM and SFC tools scan the integrity of the Windows image and all protected system files replaces corrupted, damaged and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run the DISM command do the following:

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter:Note: While running DISM you will notice the process will pause at 20%. After a few minutes the operation will complete successfully. To run the SFC command, please refer to this Microsoft knowledge base article

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command SFC /SCANNOW and press enter:

For more information on using SFC on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, please refer to this Microsoft KB:

AMD driver software package requires the latest updates for Microsoft Net Framework and Windows to be installed. Please run Windows Update and install all available critical and recommended updates. In order to minimise the risk of installation errors, Windows should be fully updated before installing AMD driver software package.

Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

Install the latest Crimson 16.8.2 drivers once the above is completed.

Please try the following settings listed below in Wattman once the drivers are installed.

Fan Speed Manual: 1500 - 3000

Temperature Manual: 90 - 75

Power Limit +50%

Clock and Memory speeds at default settings.

Navigate to Radeon Settings > Preferences > and uncheck Notifications.

Check the issue status.

kingfish

...and click "apply"

goodplay

If that fails, it may be the 9590 ?.

rustypyruz

Hi,

I've got same problem here, but it was little bit strange.

Two month ago i purchased XFX RX 480 GTR BE, my system operation using win 8.1 with latest updates but i didn't check it again now.

Since i'm using HD 5570 everything was fine no freeze, when I'm installing RX 480 then start random freezing, i already installed crimsons driver 10 using DDU on save mode, freezing doesn't perish, and i benchmarked cpu and ram using prime it was fine.

Strange part is when gpu freezing on entire PC, then i press reset button but it won't load just stuck on black screen and DVD LED just keep blinked, force me to press power button Windows boot normally and no freezing again.. but when my pc turn it off it will start freezing again..

So the conclusion is.. it will work normally until full load playing game till 8 hours after Second boot caused by freezing, it will freeze again on the Third boot need to power off and forth boot no freeze counter,

I wondered, what was that mean ? Could it be my gpu have a problem ?

cssoz

Have you solve your issue?

metalquintessence

Strange, I also just build a brand new system and it does the same to me with a AXRX Red Devil and Win 8.1.

I use DP which runs perfectly with FreeSync, however I get random freezes / lockdowns when I only play in full screen, windowed is fine, there doesn't seem to be any specific trigger for the freeze. It just happens. I also checked RAM, Temp, Volt and everything else.

Only thing that solved the issue was to revert to the previous drivers, 16.9.2, but now I can't access the Display tab, bcs Crimson crashes every time I try. And WattMan is practically unusable, everything is grayed out. I can't modify anything, and it doesn't show any readings. I didn't had that issue with the latest drivers, but then games froze in full screen.

I guess maybe they will fix the issue with some update down the line.