1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 6, 2016 6:17 AM by amdpete

Are PCI Express 2.1 and 3.0 graphics cards backwards-compatible with "regular" PCI Express slots?

russellj

I just replaced the failed factory-original PSU (Power Supply Unit) in my Lenovo H405 IdeaCentre desktop. The primary reason I used a more powerful PSU for my replacement is so that I can use multiple (2) monitors when I do Software Testing. The integrated graphics on the H405 don't support multiple monitors, and the H405's original PSU wasn't powerful enough to handle an added dedicated graphics card which does.

The H405 documentation mentions using a PCI Express card slot for an added graphics card.

Many Radeon graphics cards which I've seen advertised recently are PCI Express 2.1 or PCI Express 3.0 cards.

Would such cards be compatible with a PC (like my Lenovo H405) that was built to use a "regular" PCI Express (not PCI Express 2.1 or 3.0) card?

In other words, are PCI Express 2.0 or 3.0 graphics cards backward-compatible with "regular" PCI Express card slots?

Thanks.

- Russell J.,

in Western PA