3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 3:38 AM by amdmatt

10 bit OpenGL support, FirePro, Radeon cards

timman

Hello!

I need a graphics card, that supports 10 bit color OpenGL buffers (used in Photoshop for example).

I've explored AMD's website and found this document https://www.amd.com/Documents/firepro-10-Bit-whitepaper.pdf . It's written, that the 10 bit support is only available for the FirePro cards. The document is about 7 years old, so I have following questions:

1. What FirePro cards (exact models) supports 10 bit openGL buffers for today? Can I buy any of FirePro cards and get the 10 bit OpenGL buffers support?
      2. Does the newest Radeon RX 480 card support 10 bit OpenGL buffers? (I've read this thread https://community.amd.com/thread/202336?q=10%20bit but it's not helpful (no info about OpenGL -- only about 10 bit in general) )
      3. Are there any specific requirements to display, besides the 10 bit color support? Are there any recommended by AMD 10 bit displays for today?
        • Re: 10 bit OpenGL support, FirePro, Radeon cards
          amdpete

You would need a Firepro card as far as I am aware, any of the current range would work but you would probably want a mid or high end card if you are doing heavy photo editing etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            black_zion

You have to use a FirePro card with Adobe software. Even though Radeon cards can do 10 bit color, Adobe software will not allow it. As far as displays go, you're going to want to get one which allows for professional hardware calibration and covers at least 99% AdobeRGB with a very low error margin, you can't use some consumer grade panel with 8+2 bit color.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              amdmatt

Agree with the folks above.

Radeon Settings and Catalyst Control Center (CCC) show the display output colour depth in Bits per colour/channel. This is to match the colour depth on the display for output.

Enabling 10 bit in Radeon Settings/CCC for consumer products will match the colour depth on the display for output, but the surface being rendered can be 6/8 bit and is dithered to 10 bit output if this feature is enabled.

In consumer products (non Firepro) 10 bit rendering is not supported. This is not a per product support but rather class. Workstations versus Consumer. Currently only Workstation products support 10 bit rendering. If you are looking for viewing/working with 10 bit content and looking for full support (for example using Photoshop for 10 Bit rendering) you cannot use any consumer card for it and would instead require a Firepro product.