tahayazici

Hi guys,

The problem occurs on a:

Asus Ultrabook S301LP

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel Core i7-4500 1.8GHz 2.4GHz

8GB RAM

Radeon HD 8530M 2GB

So, everything was fine until AMD Radeon Settings notified me about the new driver update released on 28/07/2016. I tried updating, but it gave me a driver detection error. Then I wasn't able to open the AMD Settings anymore. Thus, I tried a clean update: removed everything about AMD from "Programs and Features", then downloaded and ran the AMD Uninstall Utility just to be sure. And then I tried the following 2 things and neither worked:

1. Download the auto detect utility to cleanly install the driver needed. The whole computer froze (including the mouse and keyboard) at 16%. !!!

2. Found the right driver version and downloaded it manually (without auto detection) and ran the installation. This time it gave me a black screen at 25%. !!!

I also tried disabling my antivirus (Kaspersky) while downloading / installing. I tried updating normally. I tried a clean update. I tried updating from Device Manager. Nothing...

And there are no drivers on ASUS's website for Windows 10 for the device.

Someone please help me out on this:( ! Looked in tons of forums, yet nothing! It is very disappointing because I owned many laptops, all with Nvidia Geforces and they all worked flawlessly but this is the only laptop with an AMD GPU, and it constantly has problems! Give updates, games, etc. !!

Awaiting your answers...

• Re: Laptop freezes while installing AMD driver
          taylor8806

I also did a fresh install using only the drivers that toshiba gave on their website but it still does not work. I'm currently running the laptop everything installed properly both hardware and drivers except for the AMD GPU

amdmatt

Are you using the Windows 10 insider build?

tahayazici

It displays: Windows 10 Home.

amdmatt

Okay, let's try a system clean up and a fresh installation of our latest Crimson 16.7.3 drivers, to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.3 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

tahayazici

Firstly, thanks for your reply @amdmatt . But frankly I've resolved the issue before seeing your post. Even thought, I did indeed you some of your steps.

And your resolution is on point, which might be very helpful for future reference (let's hope that won't be neccesary).

So, firstly, I did run SFC / SCANNOW (though no problems were found) and I've installed all the updates for Windows.

Secondly, disabled my anti-virus (Kaspersky in my case).

Thirdly, I've disabled (in 2 steps) Windows to automatically update drivers for each of my hardware. Through Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update >Advanced Options and then through Control Panel > System & Security > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware (this was the deal breaker I guess, cause I think after each restart attempt after deleting my drivers, Windows was trying to replace it as fast as possible).

Fourthly, I've uninstalled the driver from Device Manager. Then from Programs & Features I've uninstalled everything related to AMD. Later, I've used DDU to sweep what's left. And restarted my PC.

Finally, Installed the latest version Crimson 16.7.3 drivers.

And they lived happily ever after... (ASUS & AMD - hoooopefully)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    menyus420

I have the same issue, but this did not fix. I did it step by step, not working. Did sfc /scannow, disabled antivirus, disabled windows automatic driver updates, did clean install of windows 10. The driver installion freez every time i install radeon driver other than the on downloaded from the laptop manufacturers page. I want to install fresher version tho, because its 15.2.0

Lenovo G510

i7-4702MQ

R7 M265

8 GB DDR3

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

deathbeard

So i think i found the solution, i had the same problem and someone told me to instal older drivers and i did and it worked and after a while i got notification that i have a new update so I said to myself why not trying that, if that wont work i can delete that update and get back to older one but update finished normaly and now i can use my graphic without worrying any more. hope it helps

thejoker

Hi guys, i had similar problems with you all but i have finally discover and found solution to the problem. My laptop is acer Aspire with intel i7-4500u, with amd Radeon HD 8750M and integrated intel HD 4400. So after a clean format of my laptop i let windows to install all the updates and then i always tried to install the amd latest software but during the installation my laptop always freeze. So after so many readings, tries and fails i finally found a simple solution. I downloaded from acer website the amd drivers for windows 8.1 and in the folder Bin64 i used AMDCleanupUtility to uninstall all the components of amd. After i installed the 8.1 drivers which it was the catalyst some previous version, after the restart i downloaded the latest software of amd (adrenaline 18.2). I used custom installation and made sure the installation folder destination was at program files which is already AMD folder there. After the installation was succeeded and amd was working perfectly. This is how it looks in the devise manager. The windows 10 drivers for amd are not compatible with the latest software.