2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 8:30 AM by nilakite2

[FX-9590] Overdrive settings

nilakite2

Hello,

I have small problem with my computer because its constantly freezing when I change frequency for basic 4.7Ghz to 5.2Ghz.

So I want to ask what settings I should use in Overdrive to make it work without freezing or blue screen.

My rig:

CPU: AMD-FX9590 5.2GHz

Cooling: Corsair H110

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB

MB: M5A99FX PRO R2.0

RAM: Evolved 16GB Kit 1866MHz

SSD: ADATA 256GB

HDD: 3TB WD

Thanks,

Dominik

• Re: [FX-9590] Overdrive settings
          techguy

The FX-9590 is an AMD overclocked FX-8350 model CPU. While some FX-9590 CPUs might run stable above 5.0 GHz. there is no telling for sure as the CPU is already overclocked to become an FX-9590 CPU model.

AMD's AOD software is not the most reliable method to overclock a CPU. Better results are obtained from making the proper BIOS changes - if you fully understand how to do this. As with all overclocking it's trial and error to see what works for your particular hardware. I doubt that you are going to find much overclocking headroom on an FX-9590.

The first item to address is that the CPU temp under heavy load does not exceed 61C? The applets Core Temp, Aida64 and HWiNFO will show you pretty accurate temps in the 60C-70C temp range. If your CPU exceeds 61C under heavy load then you need better cooling as the FX-9590 is a 220w CPU before you overclock it higher.

I'd recommend the settings below because mobo "auto" settings do not work well with high powered 8-core FX CPUs IME.

1. Disable C6, C1E and Cool & Quiet - this will NOT hurt anything, they are just power saving modes

2. Manually set the CPU to the specified default vcore shown for your specific CPU

3. Manually set the DRAM timings listed on the DIMMs - assuming they were purchased as ONE DIMM kit and NOT two individual DIMMs. If bought as two independent DIMMs  or two DIMM kits you likely will need slower timings to prevent RAM issues.

4. If the DIMMs are 1.5v increase the voltage to 1.55v

5. Set CPU NB to 1.25v and HT to 1.25v-1.28v

6. Set Hyper transport frequency to 2600 MHz.

7. Set Northbridge frequency to 2400 MHz.

Run the system in Manual mode - NOT "auto" mode and set the CPU multiplier to "25.5" to see if it will run stable at 5.1 GHz. If it does then try "26" and test again. P95 works well for stability testing.

You may need to play around with the vcore power stability settings when in manual mode to insure the vcore voltage stays close to what you have set it in the BIOS when under heavy load. Applets like OCCT or similar that will record the CPU temp/vcore/frequency are very helpful in fixing operational problems and determining actual vcore under heavy load. You will likely need to increase the vcore above the Turbo mode vcore programmed into your specific CPU for higher frequency stability. Constantly check internal CPU core temp as it will increase with both frequency and increased vcore or other voltages.

2 of 2 people found this helpful