AnsweredAssumed Answered

Three-way CrossFireX supported cards?

Question asked by ramchyld on Jul 14, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 by ramchyld

Hi, I have another question regarding AMD GPUs, this time three-way Crossfire.

Long story short, I want to use 3-way CFX while reusing the Phenom II x6 CPU of my existing rig- again to try to drag on until Zen comes out, wherein I'll start on a complete ground-up build. The intention is to use 3-way CFX as a standard, but to drop to normal two-card CFX with the third card dedicated to physics/OpenCL calculation on games that support such profile.

I have chosen the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 R5 as my motherboard since it has the x16/x8/x8 PCIe configuration needed for three-way CFX.

Herein lies the rub: I understand from AMD's website that not all graphics cards can do three-way CFX, especially the newer ones that don't use a CFX bridge? The site seems to indicate that only specific R9 cards, namely 280, 280X, 290, 290X, 295X2, 390, 390X, Fury and Nano cards, can scale beyond two cards. I also could not find anything concrete on the RX480 or Radeon Pro Duo regarding CFX.

However some sites I've stumbled across seem to imply that it is possible to do three-way CFX on any Radeon cards that doesn't need a bridge?

So, I would like to know, is it possible to three-way CFX any Radeon cards and not just those mentioned, especially if they do not need a bridge? Because I'd like to use three mainstream cards like R7 360s to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Outcomes