33 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 12:57 AM by t72

WattMan doesn't change fan speed, resulting in high GPU temperatures.

adrianre

Hi,

Ever since I got the RX 480, the fan has been at its default speed, and it won't change unless I use third party software (like SpeedFan).

In the screenshot below, I have no third party fan controlling software enabled (disabled SpeedFan and then rebooted the PC), and I'm running 3D Mark to increase the temperature.

Even if the GPU temp reaches the target temp at 40, the fan RPM remains the same. It never changes.

Here's the screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/xPMii09.jpg

I haven't found anyone else with this problem, so I'm wondering what might cause it and how I can solve it.

The BIOS is up-to-date and the drivers for the GPU is the newest one (16.7.1).

Specs: Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, Radeon RX 480 8GB, Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Any ideas?

• Re: WattMan doesn't change fan speed, resulting in high GPU temperatures.
          amdpete

Change the minimum and target fan speeds to a higher value and min acoustic limit.  You can't adjust the temp settings without also adjusting the fan settings.

adrianre

16.7.2 Beta had no effect either. Is there nothing that can be done regarding this issue?

goodplay

Have you tried a Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

1.PNG

I personally would uninstall any 3rd party oc/fan control app.(may cause conflict with wattman).

adrianre

Here's what I just did:

1. Reset the BIOS to factory settings.
                    2. Uninstalled AMD Install Manager.
                    3. Uninstalled SpeedFan.
                    4. Restarted the PC.
                    5. Installed the 16.7.2 drivers.
                    6. Restarted the PC.
                    7. Launched 3D Mark in a loop.

Result:

The fan's RPM varies from 1335 - 1349.

Next, I changed the settings so that it should trigger when the GPU reaches 40 degrees celsius, but to no avail.

The max temp was at 79 degrees celsius before I shut down 3D Mark.

There's no other software on the computer that interferes with the GPU or any of the other fans. I could, of course, format the PC, but what good would that do?

I guess I'll have to rely on third party software for now, so the GPU won't overheat and crash. I'll report back here whenever I do decide to format my computer, and see whether or not that fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help, though!

goodplay

Might be a faulty vbios, contact the card maker (asus,xfx.....).

amdpete

I asked about this one, one of my AMD colleagues is going to check with the developers of Wattman to see what the correct behavior should be vs what it is doing now.

I also queried a few things like why the max temp can be set lower than the target temp since that does seem a bit odd.  To my mind the max temp should always be higher than the target temp since it should define the thermal range that the GPU tries to keep to (of course that could generate excessive fan noise but that is up to the person making the settings to choose if they want things quiet or to be kept cool)

brucer

are you hitting apply?  I know, just asking, I've forgot myself a couple times..

I think there a minimum default temp the fan actuates...  Your max temp should be your set maximum allowed temp, your target temperature is the threshold temperature.

I would

download DDU and install it...

uninstall the amd install manager

reboot

then reboot again in safe mode

run ddu to clean everything and reboot.

reinstall your drivers..

set max temp at like 90 (factory default max is like 95c I believe) and set target temp to like 75..  turn the acoustic level all the way up..  fan low speed at 1500 and max fan speed at 3500 and hit apply, run a benchmark.. I usually use 3dmark firestrike, if it doesnt act right within the first couple tests you have an issue..

If that doesnt work I would remove the gpu, take the cover off and check the fan plug and make sure its seated properly

If that doesnt do anything, probably rma time.. might be a bad fan, or bad fan controller.

t72

I have same issue Fan's suddenly down spin to 19% however temperature of GPU not changed and it shows 75C. I done many things, installed new or changed to old, uninstalled software, reinstall windows . Wow nothing help and still not found solution how force those fans work stable. With NVidia that never happened!

adrianre

Alright, so I managed to fix it, but it was a long process.

Basically, I installed DDU and then uninstalled AMD Install Manager as brucer suggested. Upon reboot, however, the system crashed and was unrecoverable. At that point, I decided to just format the drive and do a clean install of Windows 10, instead of trying to do a recover.

Fast forward to after I installed all of the drivers and rebooted the system: I launched 3D Mark and set the fan settings to 1500-ish min and 3500-ish target. The temperature max at 80 and target at 50. It worked ...!

Now, what this may tell us is that something was either overriding the AMD fan settings, or there was something wrong with the previous AMD installation. I believe it is the second one here, as previously, everything was done on a clean system, and even then the fan settings wouldn't work.

To summarize: We'll never know for sure what caused it, but a clean install of Windows 10 solved the issue.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help, and especially brucer, for making me install Windows 10 again

yezok1

I got a similar problem with a xfx radeon RX480

on boot fans spin and remain on during windows install and driver install, once crimson driver loads fans stop and windows locks up once the card heats up.

the fans never seem to spin up again once the spin down.

tried everything, removed all radeon software removed the card and deleted the driver in safe mode and  guru 3d DDU v17.0.2.1.

reinstall windows did clean install reinstalled the driver, same issue.

just built this system.

crimson 16.10.2.

new xfx rx-480  8gb black edition

new mother board gigabyte 990xfa-ud5 r5

new AMD fx 8350 cpu

new 32 gb g.skill 1600 ddr3 ram

new amd 240gb ssd

new evga 500 wat psu 40amps +12v rail

new 1tb seagate drive

any suggestions this is not my first computer build I have built many

and was a computer tech before MS and Leukemia took there toll

yezok1

Nobody have a clue or am I barking up the wrong tree, should have gone with Nvidia 1060

mbk1989

Hey! Did you try to set fan speeds manually with 3rd party sofware such as MSI Afterburner? If it won't work you may probably need to RMA your card. Btw, custom XFX 480 cards start their fans @ 60 C. 

yezok1

No, the only 3rdparty software I ran on the card is GPU Caps viewer 1.31.1.0 and speed fan which does not work incidentally, I cant set any fan speed with it.

I formatted and reinstall windows 7 pro x64 twice and even tried windows 10 pro that i purchased an sits in my pile of defunct software that i hate. Gpu caps viewer showed the card hitting 110C before it locked, I even tried the bios off the XFX website. I was Running the lunatics seti@home client I id do on all my boxes to number crunch looking for them little grey critters ;o)

and to stress the card and test stability, I will give MSI after burner a try and see if that helps. and report back

yezok1

MKB1989 I thank you for your suggestion to use MSI After Burner I downloaded the latest version from guru3d.com an installed it Tinkered with the custom fan profile and got it so I am averaging 45c to 55c running the lunatics seti client 0.44 and nice acceptable sound level (No Jet Turbine). I am using 16.7.3 drivers with no screwy wattman and have been running now  for about 3 hours no lock ups freezing or random reboots. I will let seti run  for a while then run 3d mark to see the results and if the fix will hold, So far so good thanks again for the suggestion

You would think card manufactures would be bright enough to program a bios that would automatically maintain the GPU at an acceptable temperature without the end user having to install 3rd party programs to prevent the GPU over heating even 60 C seems a little warm140F and we all know heat destroys semiconductors by letting out the magic smoke.

mbk1989

You are welcome and glad to hear that it works!

Gpus can take the heat up to 90 C and 60 C is very acceptable and understandable. Manufacturers want to keep cards cool and silent so they set their vbios accordingly. Some cards fan start at 60, some starts at 55. Btw, I recommend you to download and install latest drivers (16.10.2 is working great for me). Dont forget to uninstall your previous drivers with DDU before installing new drivers.

Did try to set manual fan speed from Wattman? It may work also. I set my fan speeds manually from wattman and monitoring temps with msi afterburner.

edit: you already mentioned you had problems with 16.10.2. So you can ignore my final recommendation

yezok1

It would seem I spoke too soon it ran great for about 5 Hrs running seti client with the 16.7.3 drivers and using msi afterburner to control the fans and holding the temps at around 45c to 60. Wattmann does not do anything to control the fans no matter where i set the sliders to, and yes I hit the apply, was not born yesterday more like 50 years ago, and have worked with computers since the early 80's, still remember the $10,000 IBM PC 64k memory a 3 optional  64k for a whopping 256k, 8088 4.77 Mhz 5 1/4 floppy LOL.

Anyways I exited out of the seti client and loaded up 3d mark basic and about 10 seconds after i started the benchmark it puked blood and died causing the system to power off.

I am currently downloading the 16.10.3 hot fix drivers to see if that will help, but am doubtful. My bios settings are all at defaults so that should not be an issue, The usual procedure I follow is install hardware, load bios defaults, load OS, install Mb Drivers, test then tweak bios. I am beginning to suspect the card has either a thermal  flaw or a cold solder joint and and is defective and will have to RMA the card. That's the  pb free RoHS process, you hardly ever had a cold solder joint when they used good old 60/40 solder.

Wonder what Newegg RMA or returns are like? I am guessing Probably a pain and 6 to 12 weeks.

mbk1989

Shutting down of the pc during benchmark tests makes me think of Power Supply issue. Can you try your system with the different PSU (more than 500W)? Btw, I don't know the RMA process of Newegg so I cannot help with that

And one final thing: Drivers go crazy after waking up the pc from sleep state. I experienced problems like driver crashes and instabilities after waking up. So, I disabled sleep mode.

Hope this will help. If it won't then I am out of ideas.

yezok1

problem solved with 16.10.3 drivers even wattman is kinda working correctly aside from occasional crash when opening the global wattman settings its controlling the fan speed keeping  GPU at nice comfy 50 C

yezok1

Defiantly a wattman problem, seems like the fan control only stops working after wattman crashes, after that MSI afterburner will no longer work to control the fans and AMD wattman no longer works either. why Can't AMD release a driver without the crimson BLOATWARE and allow me to use whatever program I choose to control my hardware the way I want, I am not concerned about power consumption and don't care how loud the fans are. I pay for the power and where head phones while at the computer any way ?

p.s ONCE WATTMAN CRASHES HARD YOU MUST UNINSTALL THE DRIVER IN SAFE MODE THEN REINSTALL IT TO GET EVERYTHING WORKING AGAIN, UNLESS YOU WANT TO BBQ STEAK ON YOUR GPU. UGHH!!

brucer

exactly...  screw Wattman now to be known as Crashman, and just have a bare bones driver, and let use what we prefer (msi afterburner)for tuning.

This is where AMD is using the bloatware to datamine you!

yezok1

Figured out how to install the driver without goofy crash man, pretty simple

here's how

1down load the driver you want

2. run DDU in safe mode

3 reboot

4 delete the c:\AMD folder

5.run driver setup and wait until the stage where you select the option and the exit the installer.

6. Go to device manager select the standard VGA adapter, right click it select update driver software,

select browse my computer got  to AMD folder the driver version folder then packages>drivers>Display>the in the next folder whatever name it is called select the inf folder or you can use thew have disk and just select the inf in the AMD drivers folder and wala

driver installed NO WATTMAN AKA CRASHMAN NO PROFILES OR ANY OTHER  BLOATWARE.

now if only i can figure out the atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF8801106CEAE)

Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF880070B100C, 0xB, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8801106CEAE)

Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

All would be Just Ducky

goodplay

This is an old post, start a new thread with your current issue.

You can refer to this if you want, but if still on old win10 ?

Unsub'd

brucer

love how there is nothing coming out of amd to fix these issues... never get my money again..

yezok1

Just an interesting result to report on, Just for the hell of it I set my core clock to 1340 MHz tried the 1338 like  XFX says for core clock but crashman keeps changing it to 1340, and set Memory clock to 2000 MHz as that is what supposed to be rated at, and core voltage to 1150 and also in crashman adjusted the power limits under temp to power limit 50 max 90 and target 70 manual and fans to 2000rpm 3600rpm respectfully and min acoustic all the way to the right applied the settings and all seems well, even running seti@home the GPU temp has dropped significantly to 56c under full load from the constant 85c it was running before when crunching seti work units. I have not had a single black screen freezing or atikmdag ntkernal crash for over 5 hrs now. I am thinking that this constant throttling of core voltage and clock speeds is glitching and locking or  the card up. can any other member try these setting on your RX-480's cards to confirm just use manual core and clock speed for your card.

Would be an interesting experiment to determine if throttling by wattman is the real issue.

brucer

I have had mine overclocked since day one...  anywhere from 1350/2200 to 1450/2150...   Anything over 2150memory I get memory errors, you dont see it in the graphics but HW Monitor picks the errors up..  I put a heatsink and dual fans off an old 7850hd ghz edition on my rx480 and it cools it rather well..

This is in a backup machine and all I've done is ran benchmarks and and loops for stability testing and some light gaming, I still get the Wattman crashes..

codexllll

I have this same problem ever since I got my RX 480. Wattman just seems more than happy to let my card overheat until I get a BSOD, rather than speed up the fans to keep the temp down. I'm not into overclocking or using 3rd party apps, I just leave everything as default and would like to keep it that way.

If I go into wattman and set the fan speed higher manually, I won't get the bsod. I've tried multiple iterations of the drivers and am using the most up to date one, but I still get the problem.

As it seems I need to rely on Wattman's manual settings to avoid the bsod, can someone please tell me what fan & temperature settings I should use? I don't understand why when I set a temperature I also have to set the fan speed. I would have thought that it would need to control the fan speed automatically so it could reach the temperatures I set??? What if I set a certain temperature but don't set the fans the correct speed, it wouldn't be able to reach that temp? Also what does "target" mean exactly?

yezok1

I got rid of wattman, I removed the driver then did clean custom install without radeon setting and the installed after burner and set my fan to a nice tolerable 75% max temp i hit is 62 even while mining

1 of 1 people found this helpful