I picked up the RX 480 at launch to play some of my old games on the Dolphin 5.0 emulator.
Unfortunately the display driver keeps crashing and recovering while I am trying to play. Sometimes the display driver can't recover and the computer just crashes with the error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (atikmdag.sys)
My roommate has had no crashes using the same build with identical settings (DX 11 or DX 12 backend, Zelda Skyward Sword). The only difference is that he is using an NVIDIA card.
I only have 14 days to return this card to Canada Computers. Only 9 days left at the time of writing this.
What I would like to know is, what the community see's as my options:
- Is this a driver issue that I can work around now?
- Does AMD work to resolve driver bugs that impact software such as emulators, or is that outside the scope of the driver development team?
- What is the confidence level that these crashing issues will be resolved in a later driver update?
- Should I return my RX 480 card and exchange it for a GTX 970 with drivers that don't crash in Dolphin today?
- Any other suggestions/options?
Technical Details on my Computer:
Graphics Card Model: Radeon RX 480
Graphics Card Part Number: Sapphire 21260-00-20G
Graphics Driver installed: Crimson Edition 16.7.1
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Display Device: Viewsonic VX2257-MHD on DisplayPort
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING (MS-7984) 2.0
Motherboard BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. A.90 05/11/2016
System Memory Type & Amount: 32GB DDR4 RAM
Power Supply Wattage: 650 W
Update 1: So I installed the new 16.7.1 Drivers and tried again. Dolphin 5.0 still crashes in Skyward Sword when I enter a flying section. Still no issues for my roommate using identical settings and files on his NVIDIA card. I have yet to find any other software that crashes the video card, so at least that is good.