AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multiple Problems With RX 480

Question asked by johnraiden on Jul 1, 2016
Latest reply on May 24, 2017 by t3hbernardo

Greetings everyone;

I have just bought an RX 480 and I am having multiple major problems, seemingly without proper solutions so I wanted to make my own thread.

1-) FreeSync does not work properly. When it is turned on, screen flickers with color distortions with some games like Heroes of the Storm and GTA V.

2-)Crimson software (16.6.2) cannot control the GPU fan properly by itself, I had to make manual adjustments too keep the card from going 88+ degrees. Also temperatures are quite high, 40 at idle and as I said goes up and beyond 88 if left unattended. With manual fan profile I can keep it around 76 degrees with 3500 rpm of fan speed, which is quite noisy. Though this matter is about the build quality so there is nothing to fix. (Small heatsink with insufficient thermal conductivity, fan is very good though.)

3-)At some point, my mouse cursor gets corrupted as in the picture. This seems to happen quicker if I alt+tab out of a game a few times. Cursor becomes hardly visible. This also includes in-game cursors with different models.

2qxZj.jpg

4-)If I alt-tab frequently out of an exclusive fullscreen game, at some point I get a black screen and PC restarts.

5-)In Heroes of the Storm, there are lots of rendering errors, tile textures are not even rendered, floor is all black. Almost all particle effects are coming on top of the models. For example Tyrael's wings are visible as if Tyrael is transparent.

6-)When I shut down my PC I sometimes get a memory error regarding radeon drivers with a memory address, could not screenshot/note it though..

All of these problems started to occur when I switched from a GTX 570, so I am positive they are GPU/driver based. All previous NVIDIA drivers were uninstalled through driver uninstaller tool in safe mode.

Here are my PC specs:

CPU: Intel i7-2600K @ 4.2GHz (Has been overclocked for years, no problems whatsoever)

RAM:GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 1600Mhz 4x2GB CL9 1.5V

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67

GPU:AMD Sapphire RX-480

Monitor: ASUS MG278Q 144Hz 1440p connected through DP

PSU: 1000W (Don't remember the brand, could me Thermaltake)

Thank you.

UPDATE 1: I have re-installed the drivers just in case. Now flickering happens without freesync enabled and every time, including desktop...

Outcomes