16 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 6:20 PM by hybrid

!!!HOW TO PREVENT YOUR R9 380 AND ABOVE GRAPHICS CARD FROM CRASHING!!!

bman321

I dealt with this problem for two straight months. I just came to terms that there are some games I just can't play because it would crash to no hdmi signal.

Well I finally found a fix and it has been working for a week now with NO CRASHING

I thought I would post it here to help anyone else experiencing this problem.

How to prevent AMD R9 380 from CRASHING!!! - YouTube

• Re: !!!HOW TO PREVENT YOUR R9 380 AND ABOVE GRAPHICS CARD FROM CRASHING!!!
          raime91

I'm on 15.11.1 since january, and, yeah it work's for me..

amdmatt

We are investigating reports of crashing on R9 380 GPUs, apologies for any inconvenience caused. The temporary solution is to use Catalyst 15.11.1 beta.

lakesideguy

It also does it on R285.   But as I've been told those are essentially the same cards rebranded.

But it does...........crash in Shadows of Mordor and Alien Isolation so far.   I think it might be fan speed.  For those game profiles I took off auto and put the speed to 75 percent.  So far I went over 30 minutes gaming and so far  so good but until a month passes I won't be satisfied.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  spark3n

I have an r9 380, i noticed that every crash happens on applications running dx11 and seems to be related to water effects. I managed to obtain replicable crashes in Dark Souls 2 (dx11) and World of Warcraft (dx11). I'm going to install the 15.11.1 drivers and see if they persist. Absolutely no problems with dx9 and dx12 applications.

EDIT: I confirm. After installing the 15.11.1 drivers every issue is gone, in particular, now i'm able to set the medium and high quality in DarkSouls2:SofFS, and no more replicable crashes in WoW

chriswl1981

Hi,

i run a MSI R9 380 4GB and got very ugly Black Screen crashes (Computer in sleep mode and the last sound buzzing on) in MechWarriorOnline since the March Patch of this Game.

WIN7, 64bit

i7-920 1st Gen @ 3,2GHz

12 GB Ram

Alienware 850W PSU (Orignal Card was HD5970 with similar power consumption)

The crashes would occur after 5 - 10 min of gaming.

Before that i had "only" crashes to Desktop with a "D3D Device Hung" Error message for about 4 weeks

Measures                                                                           Effect

Re-Install Game                                                                 Nothing

Update Driver to Crimson 16.4                                          Nothing

Downgrade Driver to Catalyst 15.X. (July 2015)                Slight improvement, still crashes, but with longer "running times"

Force the Game into DX9 mode                                        Everything fine

Since i was not satisfied with running the Game with "so old" drivers and DX9 has little bit more "ugly" Details in MWO, i decided to install the actual Crimson 16.5.1. ==>Was running fine in DX9 mode.

I noticed that in DX9 the game runs more towards CPU load and relieves the GPU. (Confirmed by user Forum)

Then i went on a Furmark test and it crashed with a BSOD after hitting 75°C GPU Temperature... (could be reproduced)

The fans were not even at 50% at this time.....

I then remembered that when i bought the card (Feb 2016) i ran Furmark as a comparison to the old HD5970 and the GPU did not go above 65°C.

==>Installed MSI Afterburner and setup a more "aggressive" Fan Control Curve, basically 50% fan at 50°C and 100% Fan at 65°C.

==> Everything fine, FurMark ran 2hrs without crash. GPU Temp below 68°C.

I switched MWO back to DX11 and limited the FPS to 60. Played 5hrs non-stop, which i was not able since beginning of March... Nice!

Can the Card get instable by Temperatures of ~75-80°C? Seems strange to me, but the "forced cooling" with Afterburner resolved all my issues.

Did somebody play on the "internal fan curve" of the drivers?

Would be nice to hear more feedback on my ideas.

I am not annoyed of the fans, they are quite silent and i play with headset..... but what i know GPU`s start to faint at >95°C and not at >75°C...??

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          lakesideguy

Thank you for posting this.  I was changing the in game profiles in Crimson and setting the fan to a static 80 percent for some games.

I have the same problem.   A few questions I have.

When using afterburner do you have it boot when windows starts etc and always running or can you set it up and not worry?

The issue as I understand this is on a subset of certain R380/R285 manufactured cards for whatever reason the BIOS does not have the correct fan values and AMD was fixing it via the drivers from the other posts I saw AMD making.    But, it's an OBVIOUS issue with what appears to be on R380 and R285.  Those are basically the same boards the R380 was merely rebranded they are both the Tonga GPU.

But, I have the R285 and got the same issue of black screen, game crashing etc.  That was until I started boosting the fan speeds after reading about this.   And  I was actually happy to find others in here with the same problem on this particular model of the R9.   IT made me feel like it wasn't me anymore.   So, thanks all for posting.   Now we have a solution.  MSI afterburner.   Can you somehow screenshot your fan curves etc for us all to duplicate?   There must be a way for us all to share this valuable information you posted in detail.

By the way, when I was monitoring mine while playing Mordor and ALIEN Isolation I'd get crashing after 30 minutes variably and notably is areas where it was alot

of "graphic" activity going on.  It was hard to catch the temp but  I did see hit high in the 80's (C) momentarily.   According to information I found it apparantly can get unstable after 80c but designed for 90c.  That seems a bit HOT to me.    I'd prefer 75c or less.   When I say momentarily shoot up I mean when I tabbed out of the game i could see it saying 87c and quickly drop within a second or two to 70 again.   It was really hard to catch this.   It's a stove in certain situations.

Thanks!

Update-

I figured it out and how to adjust fan curve in it and save the profile.  BUT, isn't this going to conflict with the Crimson global fan settings?

How do you stop them from conflicting with each other????

chriswl1981

Hi,

i will attach my settings.

My Afterburner runs in German but you will understand what is activated...

All Screnshots taken Idle.

Important is to run Afterburner always as Admin (selected in File Properties of Afterburner).

I set it up to start minimzed with Windows. Thats it.

Also, my Crimson Symbol in the tray disappeared after installing Afterburner.

Only activated the Fan Curve, nothing else.

I did not do anything regarding Crimson. Looks like Afterburner is telling Crimson to go back into its dark corner where it came from?

screenshot.1.jpg

screenshot.2.jpg

screenshot.3.jpg

No more Crimson Icon: screenshot.4.jpg

After running FurMark for ~5min. Temp Stable at ~67°C, before the Afterburner Fan Curve it would crash after 2-4min at >75°C.

screenshot.5.jpg

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        pwlm1975

I have downloaded and installed the version at AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1 Update , but it did not install the Radeon Settings software, nor was it in the installation screen to select.

Can this be downloaded separately?

Edit: I installed the version on the driver disk (13.xx) and it included Catalyst, then manually upgraded and it installed the new Radeon Settings software.

horalkaeu

I'm having driver crashes in War Thunder only since they launched the latest big update.

The technical moderator blamed the problem on driver/software or hardware... I never had such problems, even with newer drivers but WT devs probably don't want to admit they made some changes in graphics which now triggers this problem.

I'm playing much more demanding games without any problems for hours (GTA 5 for example).

I was refered to try the TDR method. It kinda worked till today, when I had 3 crashes already.

God dammit its really pissing me off and its annoying

thefrenkie

I know how to fix it....its easy, all what have i done is that i took my r9 380 from my case, open the windows and drop it from 10th floor to the ground, now its working perfectly in front of my home under green bush. I saw that some dogs are liking it, probably they are enjoying playing games on it without black screens.

waltc

Lol....latest reply to this thread is one year old...;)