2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 8:22 PM by techguy

FX-8300 Overclock

pilot2fly

Hi guys,

I want to get into overclocking but I certainly don't want to be an idiot about it. I have a FX-8300 3.3ghz CPU that I want to overclock. I have found very little information about overclocking this specific CPU. I've mostly only seen overclocking tutorials for the 8350 and 8320 and don't want to risk ruining my processor by using settings for a different CPU.

Does anyone have and recommended advice about overclocking the FX-8300 in AMD Overdrive? What settings are considered stable at a maximum possible overclock? What settings do you get good results with? Also, how about voltages?

Here are my specs:

• Windows 10 - 64 Bit
      • 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD
      • ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard
      • AMD FX-8300 3.3 ghz CPU
      • Hyper T4 CPU cooler
      • 8 GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
      • EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SC 6GB ACX2.0
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 80+ BRONZE, 850W Semi Modular PSU
        • Re: FX-8300 Overclock
          black_zion

Generally the processor of a series, such as the FX-8000 series, are the same CPU, the faster models are just higher binned units, so those tutorials will work. Just remember that overclocking is not guaranteed because of the binning process. The same guidelines exist across all AMD processors since Bulldozer: Keep it under 1.45v (you should hit the point of diminishing returns before 1.4v anyway) and under 55°C (they tend to become unstable after that) and you're not going to do any damage.

That processor has a turbo clock of 4200mhz, so start with setting the multiplier to 21 and voltage to 1.375v (which are the settings for turbo) and hit it with 10 minutes of Prime95 large FFT stress test to ensure it's stable (which it should be as it is the turbo clock, assuming your CPU cooler is adequate), then work up half a multiplier at a time and repeat Prime95, increasing 0.025v when it's unstable. Repeat until you find the point of diminishing returns, or leave it at 4200.

• Re: FX-8300 Overclock
            techguy

The Vishera core FX series CPUs seem to respond well to the following setting for many people. The only way to damage these chips is from over voltage or insufficient cooling. The FX 8-core CPUs do produce significant heat so if you're using the OE Boxed cooler then you may only have sufficient cooling to increase the CPU frequency a modest  amount before a better HSF tower style cooler is required. It's worth noting that even though AMD sells many unlocked CPU models, technically overclocking can void your warranty though I haven't seen reports of this happening online.

Manually overclocking in the BIOS is the best means as long as you understand what you are doing. You should learn this method as it's more reliable than software overclocking such as with AOD or mobo maker software. Being new to OC'ing I recommend that you record all of the BIOS settings before you change any settings. That way you can always return to the base settings. Some BIOS allow you to save the exiting settings in a BIOs file.

This is what I would recommend:

1. Disable C6, C1E and Cool & Quiet - this will NOT hurt anything, they are just power saving modes

2. Manually set the CPU to the specified default vcore shown for your specific CPU or .05v higher to start

3. Manually set the DRAM timings listed on your DIMMs - assuming they were purchased as ONE DIMM kit and NOT two individual DIMMs. If bought as two independent DIMMs you likely will need slower timings to prevent issues.

4. If the DIMMs are 1.5v increase the voltage to 1.55v. If the DIMMs are low voltage bump the voltage by .05v

5. Set CPU NB to 1.25v and HT to 1.25v-1.28v

6. Set Hyper transport frequency to 2600 MHz.

7. Set Northbridge frequency to 2400 MHz.

Run the system in Manual mode - NOT "auto" mode. Set the CPU multiplier to "21" and work your way up in .5 increments with P95 testing for 15 minutes minimum at each frequency point while carefully monitoring CPU internal temp (often called core temp), which should not exceed 61C under full load. Applets like OCCT or similar will allow you to record important criteria such as CPU core voltage, CPU frequency, CPU internal temp, etc. when stress testing. It's also useful from time to time to run Memtest86+ V5 or later to insure that your RAM is functioning properly. I usually run it overnight but you should at least run it for 4 hours if you are having BSOD, reboots, etc. without overclocking. It's best to make one change at a time when OC'ing. The above settings were determined desirable after months of eight hour per day P95 stress testing of many FX 8-core CPUs but they are not an absolute because there are minor variations in CPUs, RAM and mobos which can require a somewhat different setting.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8300.html

I and other folks have run these settings for years without issue on many different brands and models of mobos using FX 8-core CPUs on PCs that run 24/7. You may need to play around with the vcore power stability settings (typically called Load Line Conditioning or similar), when in manual mode to insure the vcore voltage stays very close to what you have set it in the BIOS, when under heavy load. Some mobos over volt or under volt the CPU significantly when under 100% load with stress applications like Prime95.

If you determine that you need a better CPU cooler, there is a tremendous quantity of cooler reviews and useful info. at the link below. They list test results for coolers on both AMD and Intel sized CPUs and at different power settings up to 200w for newer reviews. They also have good installation details.

Top 5 Heatsink Charts on FrostyTech.com

Good luck and enjoy the journey.