6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2017 2:59 AM by pedro-nf

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory R9 270x FPS drops

tasior

Hello there i just upgrade my old grafic card HD6850 to R9 270x.

I play ET like 11yers now (holy ..)And I am struggling with the problem fps drop,  its set to 125FPS but in various parts of maps he is falling to 60/30 :/

It is an older game on the opengl engine .I would never suppose that change from HD6850 on R9270x I will have such FPS falls( on HD6850 its drop to but not that huge)

I don't have problems with newer games,i try different driver older , beta driver Totally zero improvements.......(Jezuus GeForce FX 5200 AGP on older PC got stable 90FPS MAX)

Whether is it a card? whether are these drivers? Will somebody tell me what tha hell ,,,,,

Sorry for my bad english .

• Re: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory R9 270x FPS drops
          jrocktech

Update your GPU drivers to the most recent version Via AMD.com. Make sure power efficiency is turned off in AMD settings.

power.png

kahless_uk

Wolfenstein ET is an IDTech3 game that uses OpenGL 1.0 as such you can use GLDirect 5 to convert the OpenGL draw calls into Direct3D with GLDirect's wrapper (I have to do this with ALL IDTech3 games, like MOHAA, COD, ST Elite Force etc etc since IDTech5 games started to appear and AMD had to fiddle their drivers to get them to work).

The only potential problems with GLDirect is that it's no longer in development so any bugs you get can't be fixed, it "might" mess up fog rendering a bit and there's the potential for some online servers to block you because your game folders will contain a different OpenGL32.dll to the standard one, it will however allow the game to run at rocket pace like it used to  and even solves the feature list bug with some of those games (querying OpenGL features with newer drivers caused a buffer overflow and crashed)

amdmatt

Unfortunately you have not provided much information, but please try the following steps to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Attempt to install the latest Crimson 16.4.1 drivers once the above is completed.

If the above does not resolve the issue, please try using an older Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta driver.

tasior

I'm sorry that I did not write earlier about my specifications.

Mobo- 990FXA UD3 rev.1.0

CPU- Phenom2 x3 720 2.8GHz

memory- 8Gig HyperX Fury DDr3 1600Mhz

PSU- CORSAIR TX650 — 80 PLUS Ver2

GPU- MSI R9 270x 2G

WIn7 Pro x64 SP1

I did step by step how you wrote.I stopped on drivers beta 15.11.1 .still zero improvements fps falls how are like  .. this way nothing changed.

( It is funny around Nvidia users don't have such problems ) xD well that whot they say   But i believe that something's wrong since change from HD6850 on R9 not did any good..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  pedro-nf

This issue with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and AMD video cards with HD 4xxx series GPUs and later has long been identified on the Splash Damage official ET forums and other ET forums. You need to add the line set r_primitives 2 to your autoexec.cfg file (create a plain text file with that name if you don't have one). You should have an autoexec.cfg file with that line in the etmain directory and in the directories of all mods you play (jaymod, silent, etpro, etc.). Also, during the game, you can open the console (press the tilde key) and type /r_primitives 2 and then /vid_restart, but you may have to do that again the next time you run the game, so having that command in your autoexec.cfg files is the best option.

However, AMD/ATI's drivers support for older versions of OpenGL have always been extremely poor. Any NVIDIA card made in the last 8 years will run ET perfectly with all settings maxed up, 4x MSAA and 16x AF at 120+ FPS. I've just purchased an RX 570 (for cryptomining) and on some more demanding maps it goes as low as 40 FPS even though it's more than twice as fast as my other card, a GTX 660.

There's also the absolutely horrible problem of GPU downclocking - AMD's drivers don't have a "Prefer maximum performance" power option like NVIDIA's drivers do, and besides, the algorithm used by the AMD drivers to determine the GPU clock is appallingly bad, so unless you use an external program like ClockBlocker which prevents the drivers from downclocking the GPU, you will experience severe flickering, stuttering and an overall lack of smothness in ET and most other games. You can read more about this issue on countless tech forums, just do a Google search. Even in CS:GO the menu screen flickers because of this, and gameplay doesn't feel smooth unless you turn on VSync or use ClockBlocker. Setting a target frame rate does nothing to improve the problem - this is a frame time issue caused by the GPU clocks throttling all the time. By the way, this got much worse with the Crimson drivers.

That being said, as a long time fan of AMD's CPU division - I've only ever used AMD CPUs since I bought a K6-2 in 1999, even later when there were better alternatives by Intel -  I simply cannot recommend an AMD graphics card over an NVIDIA one for gaming. The only situation where I'd recommend an AMD card is if you run applications which do heavy OpenCL computing (like cryptomining), where AMD beats NVIDIA by a wide margin. It would be really great if the AMD GPU driver team could look into these issues and fix them definitely - I'd love it if I could pair an AMD CPU with an AMD graphics card for gaming some day.

1 of 1 people found this helpful