8 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2016 10:44 PM by kroms

AMD, crossfire amd drivers.

theonlydoor

So if this isn't the right place for this perhaps a moderator could move this for me.

Gonna vent a bit, mabey it will help or not. I just got The Division, high hopes for my 4k gaming setup.....as per what has become usual now....performance with AMD is hit or miss with every single game for the past 3 years for me. Dual 390xs and of course only one gpu performs and that with unstable clock speeds in the Division. Now I would normally just wait with fingers crossed for 90 percent utilization on the guys with full core clocks for a future crimson update. .....but a year after the Witcher 3 ......still no profile or support, Elite Dangerous.....no profile and no crossfire support. Dying light was another wreck for crossfire......the only games ( that I played of course) that benefit from an AMD rig were the battlefield series and crysis......games built for AMD.

It just seems I've spent, so much money on AMD over the past several years ( many thousands of dollars) on builds because they were the cheaper option over Nvidia/intel....always hoping for the performance I just knew/hoped red team would deliver.......I just seems it can't for multi gpu setups. I just bought 2 390xs over recommendations I invest in 980s or 980ti's........and between Witcher 3, Elite Dangerous and now The Division......I'm just jaded on amd for multi gpu setups.

After playing 4k for a year now there is no going back to 1080p or 2k .......4k has set the standard and as such my builds will need a multi gpu focus. Unless I can be convinced otherwise some how I'm going Brodwell-E this summer from my OC'd 8350 and selling my 390x's on ebay and going dual  Titan X's or whatever Nvidia has to offer this summer.

What good is a ultra HD setup with AMD and Uber power in the cards if performance is completely knee capped by the drivers which are only ever "sort of" fixed for a few games without the AMD logo and never touched for many AAA titles even a year after release?

It's like their "driver" dept. has only 2 employees who only work part time.

Am I just wrong?

• Re: AMD, crossfire amd drivers.
          tomtalk24

CPUs most likely your problem, the Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs never had 4k in mind being technically a 5 year old architecture. Your GPUs are perfectly capable of running 4k, but you still have 1 notoriously slow core doing draw calls that worked fine in 2011 but not great seeing how far demanding games have come. The Division has known Crossfire issues. Not really sure whats going on with Elite Dangerous but devs likely need to work with AMD to sort a profile and stop blaming each other, seems AFR works?

Things are a bit of a mess, but updates/hotfixes seem to be coming thick and fast this year.

iainob1

Elite dangerous has issues all on its own it has since early beta and they simply can't fix it. The engine just isn't working properly with refresh rates and sync. I ran the game on 3 different systems all with different hardware all high end systems  both with amd and NVidia and the game constantly stutters and has microstutter it was so horrible to play I eventually got my full refund from them for the money I spent from beta.

The stutters change when changing or forcing fps caps and the stutters even change when recording a video of live game play.

These issue are still there in game and the thread on their own forum is still very active.

It is not just an Amd issue as it happens with Nvidia too exactly the same.

tomtalk24

I was questioning if AMD would even do a Crossfire profile for the game, it sounds like 1 GPU is more than enough.

OP, as for the other 2 games. I have only seen these run smooth in 4k using much stronger CPUs. Thats just a fairly unbalanced system. Zen will be out later in the year, along with PCIe 3.0 finally on AMD desktop CPUs, +40% performance, and everything else...

theonlydoor

Its not the CPU. I understand games that are heavily single threaded will be a bottle neck, Planetside 2 for example. However,  as I mentioned optomized games like Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 run very nice for me at 4K. In fact though I dont maintain a constant 60 fps, I'm 45-60 fps in BF4 at Ultra settings with 4x MSAA @4K and am 35-50 fps in Crysis 3 with similar settings. I dont need a constant 60 fps in every game. I just want my cards to be working at maximum and I can see if they are or not with afterburner.

It just seems everything was trouble free with the games I played when I was running dual 680's 4 years ago.........now I sit and wait for the next AMD drivers desperatley hoping I can actually use the second GPU on this or that game.

kroms

I agree to an extent.  BUT !

After what I have seen what work AMD has done with Crimson and it's new commitment to Drivers and GPU software I hope they continue to listen to its buyers and supporters like us and continue to make sure they have a A+ team of people to work on anything related to it's Drivers and GPU's.

After all what good is it if you can't make sure you product performs as intended.

I was also questioning my purchase of 2 R9 290's  just 6 months ago and was starting to think I  should have purchased an Nvida 980 or 908ti  but since  they have seem committed to getting this right and so  I hope they don't make the same mistake as the LAST 2 CEO's and underestimate  how important there GPU's , GPU Software , and GPU Customers division are/is  and continue to make it not only as good as nVidia's but  Much Better.

Lisa Su ,  are you listening ?

same here....same here...

You know what? I am incredibly fed up with the lack of ingenuity from AMD.
                    I have invested a lot of money into their hardware but always seem to be left short changed and plagued with conflictions and driver malfunctions.
                    What should be an enjoyable experience turns out to be a mammoth pain in the back side.. and it is all down to their hardware and software..
                    I paid good money for their "flag ship" 7990 dual gpu card, around £700 - £1000 and guess what ZERO support..most games didn't know what the hell it was and jesus, it took nearly 8 months after release to get the drivers right for it, by that time I had sold the damn card to some one who wanted to bit mine!
                    I later made the mistake of purchasing the R9 295x2 at no small price and although by then AMD had just about managed to get your drivers working to at least play battlefield without a hick up, everytime you updated crimson it threw something else out.
                    right now if I want to play The Division with out developing epilepsy I have to downgrade my crimson software to 15.11, which and this is laughably reduces fluidity on battlefield 4..
                    I am sick and tire of AMD inconsistencies, you never get it right and my experience of gaming on the PC is not a happy one and I have to put this down to AMD hardware and software.
                    My question is this... Are AMD ever going to get their act together and if not sometime soon, is it not a good idea to go to a product that doesn't seem to have as much issues, IE NVIDIA,
                    I am sure I am not the only person out there that thinks your sucking right now....and have been for a long time.
                    When is there going to be a driver that deals with all games without a hitch...to be honest PS4 gives better gaming experience due to the fact that they use NVIDIA now doubt.
                    if there is no definitive on a driver release that looks after the hardware that gamers like myself are prepared to spend £1500 a go on then let me know. I can sell this garbage and move on,
                    because it looks like the best thing anyone can do is switch to NVDIA at the moment because AMD seem to have their heads in the sand.

Win 10 pro 64bit
                    MSI Z97 Mpower MBOARD
                    Intel 4770k @4.6 overC
                    Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) PC2400 CL11 Vengeance Pro 8GBx2
                    MSI Radeon R9 295 X2 8192MB
                    x3 Crucial SSD 240GB
                    Corsair H100i WaterCooling

theonlydoor

I agree,

2 AMD 8350 and 1 9590 cpu's (my fault for trying to save $$ over

performance) 1 295x2 and 1 290x and currently 2 390x's in crossfire. All

this over the past 5 years......and I'm done with AMD for all the reasons

you mentioned.

I will be going with Broadwell-E this summer and will sell my 390x's once

the 1080Ti or next Titan releases. I'm not going to even bother with Zen

cpu's or whatever AMD's next card is.

I know I'll get at least as good or better performance with Intel and

Nvidia where I refuse to gamble on AMD again just to save 30 or 40 percent.

kroms

wrap50 (to theonlydoor) 14 hours ago

When is there going to be a driver that deals with all games without a hitch...to be honest PS4 gives better gaming experience due to the fact that they use NVIDIA now doubt. "

Uh ?  What ?  I'm confused.   Did you just suggest that the PS$ uses  NVidida for graphics ?

Im pretty sure it uses AMD Gpus , in fact Google it............

PS4.....

The graphics processing unit (GPU) is AMD's GPGPU-capable Radeon GCN architecture, consisting of 18 compute units (CUs) for a total of 1,152 cores (64 cores per CU), that produces a theoretical peak performance of 1.84 TFLOPS.[30] This processing power can be used for graphics, physics simulation, or a combination of the two, or any other tasks suited for general purpose compute. It is a customized version of AMD's 7870 GPU, with 2 CUs disabled.[31]