5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 4:17 PM by tomtalk24

windows 10 freezes while driver installation

horvi93

I installed windows 10 and when I try to install AMD driver the screen freezes (every time) and only hard reset helps (sometimes it goes black before freezing). I thought the problem could be the internal graphic chip and its driver so I disabled it in bios. The interesting thing is after I restart my computer despite of the failed installation I can see "AMD External Events Utility" in msconfig on services tab. When I try to use AMD Cleanup Ulity my screen also freezes around 2 out of 3 times (I've tried to install the driver several times).

My config:

AsRock H77 Pro4/MVP

Intel i5 3570k

AMD HD7850 2GB

2x8GB Kingstone HyperX

• Re: windows 10 freezes while driver installation
          tomtalk24

It sounds like the initial install crash has left something conflicting. Lets try a clean install.

It would be interesting to see if you manually install the GPU in Device Manager is the GPU driver has been provided to Windows. Its likely its the Display or HDMI driver that is being installed when crashing.

You can also try and install the very minimum, so just ticking the Display Driver. Also checking AV is off and your system is not connected to the internet. As Windows will try and "help" possibly while your trying to install your driver. Clean install should sort it.

horvi93

I've tried to install the driver in Device Manager (from amd\packages\drivers\display etc.) and sometimes it was sucessful and froze immediately after installation while other times the screen froze meanwhile installation (15.7, 15.12 and the newest one). I start to think that my graphic card's incompatible with win10. I reinstalled win 10 around 5-6 times with and without internet connection and that haven't helped.

tomtalk24

That GPU should have no problems at all. Its odd that the past drivers are having troubles too. In any of these OS installations has Windows managed to install the GPU driver from its Update repository? Or is that failing as well?

horvi93

Well it's strange because if I let windows to connect to the internet after some time the screen goes black and after that it changes the resolution to 1080p from 1024x768 and freezes after some seconds. I think that's when windows finishes the installation of AMD driver from MS update 'coz after hard reset I can see the AMD Utility in msonfig on services tab. If I remember well I read in a topic that the driver changes memory clock and a user had almost the same problem that I have right now. But I'm tired of attempts so I reinstall win 7 what works fine and later in the year when I buy a new video card I'm gonna try  again. Even so it's annoying that I buy windows 10 and I can't use it. Thanks for your help!