cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

set
Adept II

Can we get an actually working Vulkan driver?

After reading of today's great release of Vulkan API I've tried to get something working on my Radeon R9 390, Win7 x64.

The result left me utterly disappointed.

First of all I've looked for some demo. No demos from AMD. Tried NV demo – crashed. Well, it was expected...

Ok, let's write something ourselves if "evil Nvidia" doesn't want to show the glory of Vulkan on AMD. Searched for SDK and it seems the only one available is LunarG SDK. Installed latest version (1.0.3.1). Nothing works there: demos say "Cannot find a compatible Vulkan installable client driver (ICD).", vulkaninfo-1-1-0-3-1.exe says "Cannot create Vulkan instance. C:\releasebuild\LoaderAndValidationLayers\demos\vulkaninfo.c:691: failed with VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER".

Well, tried vulkaninfo-1-1-0-2-0.exe from runtime bundled with driver. It works, but with warning "WARNING: [loader] Code 0 : Using deprecated ICD interface of vkGetInstanceProcAddr instead of vk_icdGetInstanceProcAddr". How nice is to have deprecated interface in the first driver release!

Digged into manifest file amd-vulkan64.json – it says "abi_versions" : "1.0.0", NV one says "abi_versions" : "1.0.3" and corresponding dll does have vk_icdGetInstanceProcAddr export.

Tried to find LunarG SDK 1.0.2.0 or earlier – no luck, all versions redirect to 1.0.3.1.

Conclusion: absolutely no way to develop for or even test this AMD Vulkan implementation.

0 Likes
1 Solution
set
Adept II

Solution by notkyon to make SDK 1.0.3.1 working with current driver: change VK_API_VERSION to VK_MAKE_VERSION(1, 0, 2).

With it LunarG demos mostly work, but I do get VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED on fpQueuePresentKHR sometimes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
set
Adept II

Solution by notkyon to make SDK 1.0.3.1 working with current driver: change VK_API_VERSION to VK_MAKE_VERSION(1, 0, 2).

With it LunarG demos mostly work, but I do get VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED on fpQueuePresentKHR sometimes.

0 Likes

Hi - the release notes indicate there was an update. Have you tried re-downloading the package and trying again? Here's the link to the support page, release notes and download:

AMD Radeon™ Software Beta for Vulkan™ Release Notes

0 Likes

With new driver there is no more need to hack SDK: default code works.

VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED on fpQueuePresentKHR in tri LunarG demo on some runs remains.

Also, installer doesn't install VulkanRT on Win2008R2 – I had to manually run it from the depth of C:\AMD\AMD-Vulkan-Radeon-Software-Beta-Feb17 folder.

0 Likes

Some minor issues with your proposed solution. I was not able to overwrite (reinstall) the Feb 14 with the Feb 17 driver. LunarG Samples were still running only with Vulkan 1.0.2. After a clean install Vulkan 1.0.31 seems to work ... BUT your install tool tells me that the current Version of VulkanRT (Vulkan Loader) is not installed. I get this information from the AMD installer window when trying to reinstall the driver (just tried to verify that this time installation went right). Now I am not sure if everything went smooth, however, LunarG Samples with Vulkan 1.0.31 do work now.

My System: Kaveri 7800 A-10 (Radeon R7, GN 1.1), Win64 8.1

0 Likes