6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 11:17 AM by deedeeyelverton

Can we get an actually working Vulkan driver?

set

After reading of today's great release of Vulkan API I've tried to get something working on my Radeon R9 390, Win7 x64.

The result left me utterly disappointed.

First of all I've looked for some demo. No demos from AMD. Tried NV demo – crashed. Well, it was expected...

Ok, let's write something ourselves if "evil Nvidia" doesn't want to show the glory of Vulkan on AMD. Searched for SDK and it seems the only one available is LunarG SDK. Installed latest version (1.0.3.1). Nothing works there: demos say "Cannot find a compatible Vulkan installable client driver (ICD).", vulkaninfo-1-1-0-3-1.exe says "Cannot create Vulkan instance. C:\releasebuild\LoaderAndValidationLayers\demos\vulkaninfo.c:691: failed with VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER".

Well, tried vulkaninfo-1-1-0-2-0.exe from runtime bundled with driver. It works, but with warning "WARNING: [loader] Code 0 : Using deprecated ICD interface of vkGetInstanceProcAddr instead of vk_icdGetInstanceProcAddr". How nice is to have deprecated interface in the first driver release!

Digged into manifest file amd-vulkan64.json – it says "abi_versions" : "1.0.0", NV one says "abi_versions" : "1.0.3" and corresponding dll does have vk_icdGetInstanceProcAddr export.

Tried to find LunarG SDK 1.0.2.0 or earlier – no luck, all versions redirect to 1.0.3.1.

Conclusion: absolutely no way to develop for or even test this AMD Vulkan implementation.