5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 4:16 AM by yurtesen

VirtualBox 3D acceleration - issue with 'atikmdag.sys' (VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT)

tr1bal

I've already submitted a report for this through this form: AMD Issue Reporting Form

I wasn't given a tracking ID though, so I'd like to continue discussion here.

Is anyone else seeing this error in the VBox.log file when 3D acceleration is enabled for the guest VM?  Any workarounds?

00:00:01.386399 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x7 fAccess=0x2 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag.sys:
      00:00:01.386637 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cached rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x2 fAccess=0x7 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag.sys

I've done a clean install of the 16.1 Crimson Hot-Fix drivers, but the issue is still there.  The VirtualBox staff has directed that the issue is in the host driver, pointing to AMD (hence the bug report).

Host: Win7 x64, SP1

Guest: any linux VM (in my case, Arch & Debian) with Guest Additions

VirtualBox 5.0.12 r104815

Graphics: Radeon HD 7950 (Gigabyte GV-R795WF3-3GD)

• Re: VirtualBox 3D acceleration - issue with 'atikmdag.sys' (VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT)
          yurtesen

Hello tr1bal,

I have came here from virtualbox forum also. I think the driver file is fine.

AMD driver works with any windows app including furmark and even VMWARE acceleration for 3D.  I believe the problem is related to virtual box.

I also ran driver signature verification and the files seem to be fine. you yourself tested different versions of the drivers. If there were corruptions in the files, windows would give signature errors.

See:

virtualbox.org • View topic - 3D Acceleration strangeness

Bug report:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15918

Thanks,

• Re: VirtualBox 3D acceleration - issue with 'atikmdag.sys' (VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT)
            ignis

Hi folks,

Looks like every half a year a new person comes with this.

I have the same issue, and posted on the same virtualbox forum topic created by yurtesen.

Cheers

yurtesen

@ignis , I am not surprised that the problem was not fixed. I think VirtualBox eventually will become obsolete unless they change their behavior. I gave up on VirtualBox. If I remember correctly, they said virtualbox makes some extra checks on files and thats why it rejects AMD driver, which is BS. Because all other programs think the file is fine, even windows does signature checks and thinks the file is fine and everything else works fine!

I am sorry for the language and if you found my posts on other forums, I never use such language ever, but VirtualBox forum is the worst forum I have been to in my whole life. I try to give information to them and they reject it in favor of doing nothing. I am also sorry that I had to write this long unrelated response, you made me remember my VirtualBox forum experince after long time

Ther in their forum is a user 'socratis' who spoils everybody's experience and he does not even understand virtualbox. Everytime I ask a technical question he gives an answer which will make the user go away and do some useless work. Look at this, he got mad when I showed he was wrong:

virtualbox.org • View topic - Ubuntu 16.04 Guest Random Freezes
                It is the only forum where I was threatened by "moderator" that I was behaving badly! 'socratis ' at VirtaulBox forum is just abusing his powers to make up to his shortcomings. I have better things to do than try to behave nicely to a**holes. (again sorry for the language).

I ran tests, produced empirical results, made screenshots and spent hours and hours of work to show them some facts. They also reject them in VirtualBox bug reports. (I think same people in forum are also managing bug reports)

So, to put it short. I tried to explain them many things, they will not do anything. This is why I think VirtualBox will become obsolete VMWare Workstation works much nicer. You can export your virtual machine from VirtualBox and import to VMWare. I think there were some format restrictions but it worked for me.