1 2 3 First Previous 238 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 9:33 AM by ray_m

AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 

kingaslan

I have a long story about how I came to this point, but the important information is that I've clean installed Windows 10 onto a brand new SSD with a R9 270X GPU and AMD-FX 6300 CPU, but whenever I attempted to boot it up, it just flickered and went to a black screen after the windows logo and the spinning dots. I managed to follow a guide that I cannot find now on the Windows Support site (I was desperate) and discovered it was related the the AMD display drivers. I found my way to the device manager and downloaded Display Drive uninstaller (DDU) and managed to get windows stable with an internet connection (previously, any connection to the internet would install AMD's drivers and break everything) by going through system>advanced system settings>hardware tab>device installation settings and selecting "no".

So now, I'm using Window's Microsoft basic display adapter and any attempts to install AMD's latest Crimson stuff has resulted in immediate black screen lockdown. The funny thing is, my first attempt to install a fresh Win 10 was very successful, but I realized I hadn't plugged my GPU in properly, and that's when everything went to hell.

I've scoured the internet and spent my entire afternoon attempting to fix this. please help AMD, you're my only hope.

• 1. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
          faisalb4

I have the same issue dude as in my case

I am the proud owner of a HIS AMD Radeon  HD R9 270X  2 GB . I was running windows 10 Pro x64 bit with Amd crimson driver 15.11.1 beta when my system crashed playing the Dota 2 suddenly

I was greeted with a black screen instead of the Windows log-on screen. I quickly figured out that the GPU drivers were the problem here, so I cleaned them using DDU in safe mode and then tried a fresh install with the 15.7.1. During the installation of the driver, the screen went black again. I have tried many other previous and newer versions of various drivers but no luck . I did system restores of my previous build in windows 10 but always get the black screen with a system freeze.

Basically, the system runs fine with the basic Microsoft driver, but the very second I install any AMD driver (I have tried the current versions and older ones, over a year old), my screen goes black. No matter if I clean the drivers in safe mode with DDU or not, or if I used the device manager to directly update the driver, or let Windows update do its thing.

Right now my system specifications are

My PC specification is Intel 4th generation 4570 Core i5 3.2 GHz Intel DB85FL 8 gb RAM Crosair VS650 650 watt

I have found users with the same issue, dating over a year back, this seems to be widespread and no one knows a solution. When will there be a fix to get my GPU working again? What is the cause. Excact ETA on the fix pls, this should be the number one priority for the Catalyst team right now!

I have been using this card since 3 years everything everygame and every driver on every window was working fine before . I have also tried switching to windows 7, windows 8 , windows 8.1 but regardless of the amd display driver version the same isssue occours as soon as the display driver is installed

• 2. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
            ivan2887

I also got this problem i also have a r9 270x 2GB DDR 5 and im running it on windows 7. It just happened on Jan 3 2016, at first when i was playing dying light the screen starts to flicker then a message saying your driver has crashed then i restarted my computer then now all it does is a black screen after the windows 7 logo.

So then i downloaded the latest version of the driver then reinstalled it on my unit then when i restarted i still got the same result a black screen after the windows logo.

I also did a clean Window 7 installation to my SSD and still when i install the latest driver i get a black screen after the windows logo.

This is the specs of my unit.

CPU - i5-4670K @ 3.40ghz

RAM - 8GB

GPU - Sapphire Radeon r9 270x 2gb ddr5

OS - Windows 7

• 3. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
              kingaslan

Thank you all for reassuring me that it isn't just me. I read your post, faisalb4, from the other thread relating to this happening back in august. I've gotten to the point where I've completely unplugged my internet, reinstalled windows 10 (no other files) and cleaned with DDU, but it kept black screening.

Rebooting into safe mode showed me that the AMD CCC crap kept coming back. This led me to check the logs from DDU, and i discovered that it tried to delete something in the windows system files called oem7.inf, later mentioned as a display driver package, but it couldn't because something was using it. I should also mention it deleted oem2.inf. Whatever is using it, I think that every time i delete the drivers, they keep coming from those files Windows downloaded when I was connected to the internet.

Anyway, that is where I'm at right and I hope it gives the AMD team something to look into. Honestly, i think the only thing to do now is hope to God AMD sees this and cares enough to help us because I hate what Nvidia's been doing to this industry, but I'm not going to buy from their competitors if their drivers literally break windows.

EDIT: So i found the oem7.inf and oem7.PDF in c:\Windows\INF (there are a lot of files here) and deleted them. I restarted now, because i was in safe mode, and not even the windows logo came up when I did, but as soon as I plugged in my USB with Windows 10 on it, it started to repair it (it didn't say repair, but it said something of the sort). From here, it booted up nicely and neither oem7 or oem2 came back. I should note that I went back in the DDU logs and found that the program found "driver packages", the oem's, and gave a description of each and their manufacturer. I saw that oem2 was purely display drivers, but oem7 was system drivers, whose deletion may have have caused the following black screen. Considering both were made by AMD, i feel confident i won't need them for other devices, but I may need them when this whole thing gets fixed, assuming it does. Another note, I have two monitors, both of which showing the same things, so I would very much like this fixed.

• 4. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                faisalb4

I am really glad  and appreciate for your deep observation on this issue just keep us updated so we all can find a solution to this issue i have also raised a support issue at amd forum and reported this issue to amd technical support , hope they acknowledge this issue and fix it ASAP

• 5. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                  kingaslan

As do I, I'm not sure there's anything more I can do, however. I think it is all in AMD and Microsoft's hands now. Meanwhile I'm sitting here staring at two of the same thing on two monitors because the basic Microsoft display adapter doesn't/can't recognize both :/ and now we wait...

• 6. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                    faisalb4

I have just received this email from AMD technical support i will try this and update to you too till then you try this out for yourself too hope it helps
                    Thank you for the response.

Please try these steps.

1. Turn off the computer and unplug
                    2. Remove Graphic card
                    3. Plug the monitor to your video output
                    4. Turn on the computer
                    5. Click on start and type msconfig
                    6. Select the Boot tab and click on the box that says Safe boot with minimal selected.
                    7. Apply then click ok.
                    8. DO NOT RESTART.
                    9. Shut Down computer and unplug
                    10. Install Graphic card
                    11. Turn on the computer (should boot into safe mode)
                    12. Go into Device Manager
                    13. Expand Display Adapter
                    14. Disable the Integrated GPU driver if any. (DO NOT UNINSTALL)
                    15. Click the start button and type msconfig
                    16. Unclick Safe boot
                    17. Restart

I Hope the above suggestions will help you in resolving the issues and in case if you need any further assistance please do get back to me as I would be happy to help you out.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                      kingaslan

Thank you for posting the support you received, I appreciate that tremendously. However, what video output would I have if I removed my graphics card? I have none on my motherboard, and I'm wondering if there is any other way. I think I remember having my graphics card actually displaying things and my computer not recognizing it was there, but I'm not sure if I could replicate that...

Anyway, thank you for keeping me posted, I might have to put my own support ticket in.

• 8. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                        faisalb4

I found a post at reddit from a guy who suggested to update VGA bios of your GPU Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp you should try the trick if it solves the issue

• 9. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                          mwnn

Sapphire owners can enquire here:

https://support.sapphiretech.com/presentation/member/member_login.aspx

You can check your current vBIOS version using GPU-Z:

GPU-Z

The latest vBIOS for a R9 270X listed on techpowerUP is: 015.046.000.016.000000

But Sapphire will match the correct one for your particular card.

You'll need a recovery method & knowledge of ATIFLASH. Not all cards have a convenient dual vBIOS switch.

I've seen a few people with Sapphire R9 290 cards that have suffered from black screens:

R9 290 Black Screen

I've experienced display driver crashes after a random amount of time when playing certain DX11 titles on Windows 10:

R9 285, Windows 10 Pro & Display Driver crashes  :: Satellite Reign Bug Reports

http://i.imgur.com/sWgn5Wd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dlgSR8c.jpg

Reflashing the vBIOS didn't have any effect. I also tried every driver set from 15.7 through to 15.12 and it was still happening. Most of my games were fine.

Reading numerous posts here - I can only conclude that there's issues with the Windows 10 drivers (15.7 -> 15.12) or more likely issues with Windows 10 itself.

I can only speculate as to why the card is getting randomly shutoff during use - but I ruled out overheating and the other usual suspects.

I never tried disabling ULPS with MSI Afterburner - that might be worth a go.

I ended up clean installing Windows 8.1 (with Classic Shell) with the Crimson 15.12 drivers and haven't had any issues since in that same game; nothing else has changed.

Windows 10 LTSB (10240) would be my edition of choice if I had to use it.

I don't know what's gone wrong with the drivers lately. Many complaints with many different games - that previously worked fine - but are now broken particularly under Windows 10.

I thought we were getting fewer releases but more stable drivers - starting with Catalyst Omega initiative onward?

HARDOCP - Introducing the new AMD Catalyst Omega Driver

Today's announcement introduces the new AMD Catalyst Omega driver. This is a way to bundle up a bunch of features, bug fixes, and performance updates into one package. This will be a once a year release that contains tons of new features, bug fixes, and performance improvements on a large scale. Note however, all features implemented in Catalyst Omega will be carried forward with each Beta driver release or WHQL release throughout the year.

That means you will be able to keep updating your driver through the year following the Omega driver. Each subsequent driver release will contain everything that has been released with the Omega driver. That way you can keep updating your driver as new games come out with new game support and you will still retain all the fixes and features in the Omega driver.

Has that nice sounding plan gone out of the window? Or have Micro$haft broken everything again with their changes & vision i.e. all those poor legacy DirectX games that are left to gather dust.

• 10. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                            faisalb4

First of all thanks for your replying here , i do think the same as me and my friend encountered the issue when we were using windows 10 while AMD Crimson driver installed but now i am at windows 8.1 but the issue did't resolve till yet i have tried a number of things including different driver versions as well as switching to windows 7, windows 8.1 , windows 10 the thing which is teasing me is that why i am unable to install any amd display driver as soon as i install amd display driver the screen goes black while system is freeze although i have been using the same PC system including my HIS  R9 270x since  December 2013 i have tried a number of things as suggested by Amd technical support but nothing worked or fixed this black screen issue any fix for me would be appreciated as i am unable to play my games at my external GPU since 20 days

• 11. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                              faisalb4

amd has just released crimson 16.1 hotfix drivers you should try it out if it might fix your issue

• 12. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                                nore83

I have exactly the same problem with Radeon HD 7870 And Windows 10.

All worked fine with catalyst 15.12 but all of a sudden display ( since nearly beginning of 2016 i guess ) stays black just before windows login screen.

this happens with hdmi tv and dvi monitor and the only thing that still works is logging in via another notebook and remote connection.

as soon as I deinstall AMD driver via remote , my pc display is working again and working with windows basis driver ( unfortunately i can not play games with this driver, and it will update automatically after some time to some amd driver , and the freeze is back )

I Tried every driver from 15.7 , 15.7.1, 15.11, 15.12 up to 16.1 hot fix ... as soon as driver is install, there will be only a black screen without mouse or anything.

Please help AMD ! :/

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: AMD Display Drivers causing black screen freezes after windows 10 login (and before if enabled before) 
                                  kingaslan

Thank you everyone for the links and the help. I haven't had time in the past few days to experiment, but I'll update this post when I do (probably tomorrow night)

1 2 3 First Previous