23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 9:16 PM by freddykrug

R9 290 multi monitor image corruption with Catalyst 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.8, 15.9, 15.10, 15.11

clark

Some users, myself included, are experiencing display corruption when using multiple monitors on R9 290 VGAs running Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 with Catalyst 15.8 beta or Catalyst 15.7.1 (the problem did not occur with Catalyst 15.6).

The following references show some discussions on the matter on other forums, including videos showing exactly how the problem appears:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedMicroDevices/comments/3dzaty/157_major_display_corruption_on_r9_290/

AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 display corruption 2x R9 290 - YouTube

R9 290/390 Display Corruption when using Multiple 1440p Monitors (Windows 8.1/10, (15.7, 15.7.1, 15.8, 15.9, 15.10, 15.11) )

It seems, so far, that there is not a specific trigger cause, since it randomly starts even when the computer is showing only the desktop. Some users have found that this problem may be related to memory idle clocks being set to low for multiple monitors, which is partially confirmed by the fact that the display corruption never happens while gaming (except when some games, like GTA V, are paused). Also, it seems the problem is happening only with R9 290.

I have reported this bug to ATI using the "AMD Issue Reporting Form" (AMD Issue Reporting Form ) since Catalyst 15.7.1 was released. Now that Catalyst 15.8 beta is available, unfortunately, not only the problem persists, but also, it is not listed on the "known issues" section of the "beta release notes", which seems to indicate that AMD has not acknowledged the issue. This is very worrying, because this bug is ruining our experience with R9 290, Catalyst and Windows 10.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem? Reverting to Catalyst 15.6 solves the issue, however, we lose WDDM 2.0 and DirectX 12 support, which is very undesirable. Any help is highly appreciated.

----------

Additional information about my setup that might be useful:

• VGAs: Sapphiretech R9 290 Tri-X OC (dual, in Crossfire)
      • Monitors: Three Dell U3014 (one on DVI, two daisy chained on DP, all 2560x1600) and a 1080p TV on HDMI.

- The three U3014 are always used together (either as individual displays or as a single display using eyefinity), but never together with the TV. When the TV is used, the U3014s are powered off. Whenever the three U3014 are used together (either as individual displays or combined with eyefinity), the issue happens. Using only the TV (U3014s powered off) the problem does not happen.

- Enabling/disabling eyefinity display group temporarily solves the problem (setting it to the opposite state that was set when the problem starts).

- The problem seems to be uncorrelated with Crossfire settings, since, after disabling crossfire, it also randomly starts.

• Re: R9 290 multi monitor image corruption with Catalyst 15.8 beta and 15.7.1
          dedrick

So far I have only seen this happen for users that have a native resolution higher than 1080p.  I have yet to see a report from anyone with multiple 1080p monitors which may be why this isn't as wide spread

windsage

I was actually running two 1920x1080 monitors on this r9-290 card since the card first came out.  Never had any issue.  Changed to two 2560x1440 monitors today and it was having problems within 10 minutes.  The "fix" I am currently using is to that I am running a 3 hour high res mp4 file in windows media player minimized to the taskbar.  This video running causes the GPU clock to move a bit, but it causes the memory clock to stay maxed out.

You simply have to put some load on it to prevent idling.  I was able to stop it using a high res youtube video, but every time the youtube video went to a commercial the screen would flicker and act up till the high res video put the load back on.  Was funny.

pal.carlsen@gmail.com

Thank your for reporting this in the correct forum. Hopefully AMD will pick up on this and fix this asap.

Summary of our findings in our thread on a different part of the forums are that this is related to driver 15.7.x and 15.8 beta. It has worked with all previous versions of the driver. Most importantly, it is linked to DisplayPort. It seems like the display connected with DP is key. If i turn of and on my monitor connected with DP the issue is temporarily resolved. I f I turn of my monitor connected with DVI(leaving DP display on) the flickering continues even on one monitor.

Resolution is not the key, some users has trouble with 1080p monitors, but most of us run higher resolution monitors

My gear: Asus R290X, dual screens (Dell U2713H) connected with DVI and Displayport. Resolution 2560x1440 on both screens. Windows 10 64bit (experienced the same issue first on 8.1 after i installed 15.7 before upgrade of windows to v 10)

The other thread detailing this:

https://community.amd.com/message/2670160

furiouspop

Previous thread about this here Flickering

The Trigger is when the display changes from 3D to 2D. EG; exiting most games and going back to the windows desktop causing this to start

I have been further testing this, running some games in window mode eg(Diablo 3) on the middle monitor will stop the flickering from happening (also works if i put the d3 window on the other monitors as well), but this is annoying - i shouldn't have to run a game in window mode to stop the flickering happening.

It can be really bad at times if running youtube on 1 monitor and working other items in the other 2 monitors...

my temp fix is putting a game up in window mode, restart the PC, changing refresh rate to whatever then returning it to 60 Hz, entering a game and playing for 5 mins then exiting...

Happened with all the 15.XX drivers - the last known working driver for me is 14.12

Funny thing is - i haven't noticed it in any game as yet when running full screen across all 3 monitors (Eyefinity)

this is very annoying indeed. and whats more frustrating is that now im running windows 10 - it seems to be doing something to the AMD drivers because my raptr app keeps advising me to install 15.7.1 even when i have done a clean wipe and install of these 3 times..

Issue occurred in windows 7 as well with the same 15.xx drivers - 14.12 was working fine...

clark

Has anyone tried driver 15.9 Beta?

I was eagerly waiting for this release, but, as our problem is not listed neither under the "Fixed Issues" nor under the "Known Issues" sections of the beta release notes, I am reticent about uninstalling 15.6 (which works fine) to install 15.9.

windsage

After spending an entire day trying to figure out why low load caused this issue.  I decided to try re-wiring some stuff.  I had one monitor connected to the HDMI port and one to the Display Port.  I re-wired it leaving the one in the Display port, but then daisy chaining from the MST output on that monitor over to the second screen.  It hasn't flickered since.  The driver shows the display port output as 7.42 Gbps and 35% load on each screen.  Total load 70%. Total Bandwidth 21.26 Gbps.

Maybe it has something to do with using the mixed connection.  With my old 1080p screens I had one in HDMI and one in a DVI port and it worked fine.  Or, perhaps the HDMI cable just didn't handle the extra bandwidth going from 1080 to 1440.  But so long as I kept something running to put load on it there was never a flicker, so I do not think it was a bandwidth issue.

At this point it has been stable for days, so something in that port change made a difference.

clark

Folks, below are the links for all related topics concerning the same problem that I have managed to find on AMD forums:

R9 290 multi monitor image corruption with Catalyst 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.8, 15.9, 15.10, 15.11

Flickering

Horizontal flickering and image tearing in 2D (3 screens, R9 290x), 15.7 and up

Re: 15.7.1 MAJOR Display Corruption on R9 290 when using Multiple Monitors (Windows 8.1/10)

Keep flickering in resolution 2560x1440 with Catalyst 15.7.1

Screen Flickering issue with R* and new drivers!

Driver 15.9 Beta is out and users are reporting that the problem persists. Once again (as when 15.8 was released), this bug is not even listed under the "known issues" section of the beta release notes. Please everyone, report this bug to ATI: AMD Issue Reporting Form

clark

I've sent a driver bug report to AMD with the following text (below, as inspiration so everyone can send its own report )

Some users, myself included, are experiencing display corruption when using multiple monitors on R9 series VGAs (including R9 200, R9 300 and Fury series) running Windows 7, 8/8.1 and Windows 10 with Catalyst 15.9 beta, 15.8 beta, 15.7.1 and 15.7 beta (the problem did not occur with Catalyst 15.6 beta and previous drivers).

The following references show some discussions on the matter on AMD forums, including videos showing exactly how the problem appears:

https://community.amd.com/thread/187625

https://community.amd.com/thread/185060

https://community.amd.com/thread/185472

https://community.amd.com/message/2675611#2675611

https://community.amd.com/thread/185119

It seems, so far, that there is not a specific trigger cause, since it randomly starts even when the computer is showing only the desktop. Some users suppose that this problem may be related to memory idle clocks being set too low for multiple monitors, which is partially confirmed by the fact that the display corruption rarely happens while gaming (except when some games, like GTA V, are paused). Other discussions on the community seem to have determined that this bug is affecting setups using Display Port mixed with other interfaces, like DVI and HDMI.

Temporarily fixes for this issue include enabling / disabling Eyefinity Display Group and VSR when the flickering starts or powering off all the monitors connected via Display Port and than back on.

I have reported this bug to AMD using the "AMD Issue Reporting Form" since Catalyst 15.7.1 was released, then again when Catalyst 15.8 beta was made available. Unfortunately, not only the problem persists, but also, it is not listed on the "known issues" section of the "beta release notes" for the newly released Catalyst 15.9 beta, which seems to indicate that AMD has not acknowledged the issue. This is very worrying, because this bug is ruining our experience with R9 Series even when performing basic tasks. It should be clear to AMD that this bug affects the root purpose of a VGA, therefore, it's fix should have a higher priority than game specific upgrades, which, unfortunately, are all that the latest AMD drivers are offering. 

Reverting to Catalyst 15.6 solves the issue, however, we are left without WDDM 2.0 and DirectX 12 support, which is very undesirable.

I have provided my email to AMD. Please let me know if any further clarifications are needed.

----------

Additional information about my setup that might be useful:

VGAs: Sapphiretech R9 290 Tri-X OC (dual, in Crossfire)

Monitors: Three Dell U3014 (one on DVI, two daisy chained on DP, all 2560x1600) and a 1080p TV on HDMI.

- The three U3014 are always used together (either as individual displays or as a single display using eyefinity), but never together with the TV. When the TV is used, the U3014s are powered off. Whenever the three U3014 are used together (either as individual displays or combined with eyefinity), the issue happens. Using only the TV (U3014s powered off) the problem does not happen.

- Enabling/disabling eyefinity display group or VSR temporarily solves the problem (setting it to the opposite state that was set when the problem starts).

- The problem seems to be uncorrelated with Crossfire settings. It happens whether Crossfire is enabled or not.

clark

For the people who are using displays with resolution greater than 1080p over Display Port, are you also facing DP screens going completely black for a second or so before returning, sometimes multimple times in succession?

Appart from the flickering problem, I've always had this aforementioned black screen problem, on different drivers (14.9, 14.12, 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.8, 15.9 and 15.9.1), and always thought it was related to DP cables quality (although I have tried several different cables from different makers). Today, however, I found a thread on this forum from a user facing the same issue (Display randomly going black for a second ), and began wondering if other DP users have the same issue. Could you please provide some feedback on your experience?

Thanks.

clark

Just to let you know, the problem persists on 15.11. It's nor worth wasting your time upgrading the driver.

clark

Just to let you know, I have successfully managed to overcome this problem by using ASUS GPU Tweak software to overclock my 2D memory clock to the same value as my default 3D memory clock value. This fix, however, makes the computer less energy efficient and makes the VGA dissipate more heat.

I am still waiting for an official solution from AMD.

• Re: R9 290 multi monitor image corruption with Catalyst 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.8, 15.9, 15.10, 15.11
                                clark

A new major driver release is available, the so called "Crimson Edition". AMD has promissed this driver would address several problems. I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet (and won't be able to do so until late at night), but it might be the solution to our problems.

Has anyone given the Crimson Edition Driver a chance? What's the outcome?

• Re: R9 290 multi monitor image corruption with Catalyst 15.7, 15.7.1, 15.8, 15.9, 15.10, 15.11
                                  clark

I am disgusted to find out that this annoying bug is still present on the new and "revolutionary" Crimson Driver. More than an year has passed, I have sent 25 driver bug reports to AMD (literally) and this issue is still not solved. Considering this bug was first introduced with driver 15.7, and knowing that AMD has the code for version 15.6, which did not have this problem, I can only assume AMD is ignoring its clients and not giving any importance whatsoever to this bug that defeats the fundamental purpose of a video card: to show stable images.

From this moment on, I am giving up on AMD. I will try using an active display port multi-stream hub to see if this equipment can somehow "fix" the signal going to the displays. This is the cheapest solution I can think of. If this fails, I will keep using Asus GPU Tweak to overclock my 2D clock settings (which solves the bug, but increases heat dissipation and power consumption) until I can sell both my R9 290 to buy an NVIDIA hardware.

I wish the best luck for those who will still wait for a solution coming from AMD. From now on I plan to stay with Intel + Nvidia for several years, until AMD either goes bankrupt for disrespecting its clients or goes through a great change.

Best regards, community, and thanks for all the help and support you have given me during this half year facing this hideous software flaw.

clark

Bigmac, there was a typo; I skipped the word "half" in "half an year" in the first paragraph. This becomes clear in the last paragraph, where you can read "thanks for all the help and support you have given me during this half year facing this hideous software flaw".

No hyperbole intended. Anyway, I truly believe my message here is clear.

Best regards

freddykrug

16.1.1 Fixed it for me! So far...

I have a triple 1920x1080 monitor setup with a MSI R9 390X, the side monitors running DVI and the primary monitor running DisplayPort to DVI with active adapter and I am running on windows 10. I have had this issue for the pas 6 months or so.

I simply uninstalled the old drivers and software completely > Rebooted > Installed the new 16.1.1 drivers as Administrator > Rebooted

I did not install Gaming Evolved app and I am running an overclock of 1150 MHz on the core and 1600 MHz on the memory with MSI Afterburner (with PowerPlay). My idle frequencies are 300 MHz on the core and 150 MHz on the memory.

It's been 3 days now, roughly 15 hours of computer use with web browsing, gaming, watching videos and the issue has not come back for me yet.

Technical details :

That issue is a memory issue caused by AMD PowerPlay, the technology that let your GPU core and memory run at lower frequency when not being used. Prior to 16.1.1, my memory frequency would generally stay at idle speed "150 MHz" even when watching videos and browsing the web. It would sometime go above that but never past "600 MHz" and it would drop back to "150 MHZ" even while watching videos and other demanding 2D applications. Since 16.1.1, my memory will go directly from "150 MHz" to "1600 MHz" as soon as 2D processing is required.