6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 4:01 AM by deejaytee

RADEON HD 4000 SERIES WINDOWS 10 WORK AROUND FIX

agrb63

This worked for me

You need to uninstall your previous AMD Control centre (Remove everything) and restart your computer, and then install the windows 7/8 AMD legacy driver (AMD Catalyst 13.4 Legacy Driver) under compatibility mode windows 8 with administrative rights (Right click on setup and select TROUBLESHOOT compatibility THEN SELECT TROUBLESHOOT PROGRAM, THEN SELECT THE PROGRAM WORKED IN EARLIER VERSIONS, THEN SELECT Windows 8, COMPLETE THE COMPATIBILITY MODE), this will then give you partial Catalyst control center. You then need to go to Device manager and manually force install the legacy display driver which did not install using setup. Double click on Ati display driver choose driver tab, select update driver, select 'browse my computer' for driver, then select 'Let me pick from list' click on have disk, and browse to your driver directory C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_13.4_Legacy_Beta_Vista_Win7_Win8\Packages\Drivers\Display. And select the FOLDER  W8_inf, this will then install the legacy driver correctly, and give you full functionality of the Legacy driver. This driver works fine with no issues detected so far, even the app market works fine.

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

• Re: RADEON HD 4000 SERIES WINDOWS 10 WORK AROUND FIX
          hd4650_laptop

THANK YOU VERY VERY much, Andy!!!

It's a pretty cool idea to fake a Windows 8 environment while installing the legacy driver.

Andy, it seems, you really saved the Windows 10 installation on this notebook, because after all this "The Radeon ... series products do not meet Windows 10 hardware requirements." trash as so-called "support" reply, I was about to install Windows 8.1, because we needed the notebook as a reliable tool (it's usually not used to play with)

Okay, just for the record:

The HD 4650 (M96) of mine is part of an i3-370M notebook. First, I had some problems installing the 13.4 driver as you did, because the CCC refused to start showing an error message like "ccc.implementation could not load". See GPU-26494: How to troubleshoot a MOM.implementation or CLI.implementation error message that occurs during installation … for details.

I wasn't sure if the MS Visual C++ 2013 Runtime was part of the problem, so I unstalled it.

With the following installation, I had no problems to install the driver itself (as you'd mentioned).

Installation of 13.1:

1. I used the AMDCleanupUtility to remove all of the AMD driver remnants (try to find it in the AMD/ATI folders in Program Files, if you already had some driver installed. This could be the same tool, but I haven't tried)

2. I performed a reboot into "basic" mode

3. I installed the 13.1 legacy driver the way Andy described (as admin with Windows 8 compatibility) (if this is not your first attempt, you might want to start "C:\AMD\Support\13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc\Setup.exe" that way)

4. I let the Catalyst Installation Manager install all the available options (in user-defined mode)

5. During installation, it the resolution switched to the notebook's native resolution (1680x945), which indicates, that the driver itself was successfully installed

6. I rebooted, the native resolution returned, and I played around a bit, but had no problems

Before, I got something like: Parts of the screen contents were suddenly misplaced; I saw artefacts; white screens; crashes; reboots; anything like this;

And worst: The BSOD "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE in atikmpag.sys" during multiple reboots

To stress the driver even in 3D, I installed Asphalt 8 from the store and tried to play it: No artefacts, no crashing (but the cars ), no judder (please translate "Keine Ruckler", if needed ), very smooth to play.

I didn't want to benchmark the system, I just tried to see if it would crash.

Thanks a lot!

Finally some technical data (taken from Aida64)

DirectX Hardware Support    DirectX v10.1

WDDM Version    WDDM 1.1

Video Adapter Properties  

Device Description    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Adapter String    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

BIOS String    BR36676.001

Chip Type    ATI display adapter (0x9480)

DAC Type    Internal DAC(400MHz)

Driver Date    16.11.2012

Driver Version    8.970.100.7000

Driver Provider    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Memory Size    1 GB

Installed Drivers  

aticfx64    8.17.10.1129

aticfx64    8.17.10.1129

aticfx32    8.17.10.1129

aticfx32    8.17.10.1129

atiumd64    7.14.10.0911

atidxx64    8.17.10.0436

atiumdag    7.14.10.0911 - AMD Catalyst 12.5 Beta

atidxx32    8.17.10.0436

atiumdva    8.14.10.0359

atiumd6a    8.14.10.0359

atitmm64    6.14.11.23

• Re: RADEON HD 4000 SERIES WINDOWS 10 WORK AROUND FIX
            tom_s

Great.  Compatibility mode installed the program.  How does the catalyst program help?

For others, you can install the driver even if the catalyst program fails (when you don't use compatibility mode).  Then uninstall catalyst.

I looked at the catalyst program and can't find a compelling reason to keep it.  Resource drain is why not.

Has anyone had positive results from installing it?