22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 9:26 AM by computex

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR

ttsoldier

So I installed Windows 10 yesterday from ISO . Fresh Install.

However, after the install and the setup, it crashes before logging in with a BSOD saying INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR.

From there, it just goes into a continuous reboot loop with the same error over and over again. The problem is the AMD drivers. It took me a couple hours to figure this out after reinstalling a couple times.

I had to skip the Wifi setup part in order to log in so that the setup would not download the drivers from WU.

I thought the problem was the WU drivers so when I logged in without the wifi, I installed 15.7.1 drivers from this website. As soon as the install completed, the OS crashed.

So that driver is failing and the one from windows update is failing as well. I had to install the Windows 10 tool to hide updates.

Dell Vostro 3560

3rd gen Ivy bridge

8GB Mem

750GB Hdd

Radeon HD 7670m

Any advice? Wait for a new update?

• Re: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
          customer

See https://community.amd.com/message/2660998#2660998. Got the same problem on a HD8970M, windows 10 practically unusable at the moment. You can fix bootloop by booting in safe mode and uninstalling the amd driver using the cleanup tool located in the installation directory, I think it was something like Program Files/AMD... however windows update will try to reinstall it. I actually got it installed, it's crashing my system only every 15 minutes or when I try to open Catalyst control center now. Edit: I see you managed to disable the automatic installation. That's nice but I guess we won't be able to run DirectX Applications until the driver is fixed. Did you already try to install an older driver? I'm currently at work so I can't test it right now.

ttsoldier

No I did not try an older driver.

Really not in the mood to go through that again. Took me like 3-4 hours before I got my laptop up and running.

Hopefully, they will release an update for it soon.

I'm think he older drivers would work though because I upgrade to 10 from 8.1 then did a format with the ISO. When I upgraded, it was working fine, so I am assuming it was using the older drivers of Win 8.1

kingfish

A support site had this to say about the error and how they fixed it>

[–]ArtHouseFeels 1 point 19 hours ago

Hm! I completely uninstalled everything AMD, rebooted, and then checked for updates. I got two AMD updates from the Windows updater. After installing them, I had to reboot. Since then, no problems! My card is enabled and I'm not crashing with the internal power error bug.

d718

I had the same error with this new 15.7.1 driver. I tried multiple ways to install but still got this blue screen. The one from Windows update I believe is 15.7. That one worked. What I figured out is that I had to disable the Igpu. I knew it was AMD drivers because when I ran dxdiag it would crash with the AMD gpu enabled. When I disabled it no crashes. I was just curious about dx12 but I know this card just supports dx 11.2 with Windows 10. With Windows 8.1 it just said dx11 not 11.1 or 11.2. I believe it has to do with both Intel gpu drivers and amd drivers not communicating well. I know the card says 2gb br you want to label it but in msi afterburner the memory usage goes up to 2gb for gpu 2 which is the intel hd graphics. #1 is amd gpu. I know this from overclocking it. I think switchable/dual graphics or whatever you want to label it have to have a driver specifically made by the oem or amd and intel have to make them interact with each other. I never had problems with Windows 8.1 drivers from their respective websites. My oem just had really outdated ones which made me try the new ones. I just read from my oem website to not upgrade until the new drivers are posted. Too late now laptop seems to be working fine with the ones Windows has provided me with. Just try to disable Intel gpu and try to install over again. I think hitting shift and f8 or just f8 led me to a menu to pick from after the bios to boot into safe mode.

sailordeath

I think it might have something to do with the "switchable graphics"  everyone who seems to have this issue is specifically using a dell laptop. 

shovon

HP Probook 450 G1

And Yes Switchable Graphics!

d718

I've been trying Windows 10 ever since build 9926. I had to revert to Windows 8.1 because of a few issues pertaining to graphics and others as well. It wasn't until 10036 that things started to fall into place. I guess I'm the lucky one. If what I tried doesn't work for others, I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have those problems. Just try what I've said above. There has to be something you're doing wrong. I  didn't quit until I figured it out. Works perfect now.

sailordeath

Tried it, does not work, it's stable with just the intel drivers, (and I made sure to grab the x64 bit windows 10 drivers from both intel and amd)  about 3 or 4 minutes after I log in it bluescreens and reboots.

shovon

I Replied to sailordeath

And I know these procedures!

Actually Latest AMD Catalyst Has Some Compatibility Issues!

kingfish

And I know these procedures!

Actually Latest AMD Catalyst Has Some Compatibility Issues!

You are having issues...use the drivers HP made for your model laptop. Notice there are two..one Intel and one AMD.

Drivers & Software for HP ProBook 450 G1 Notebook PC - HP Support Center.

shovon

I have my latest drivers installed, and they are working fine!

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 8/1/2015, 04:35:25

Machine name: DESKTOP-5G4OGVG

Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.150717-1719)

Language: Bangla (Regional Setting: Bangla)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP ProBook 450 G1

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 7626MB RAM

Page File: 5205MB used, 4276MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Display Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 3: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_1942103C&REV_06

Display Memory: 3925 MB

Dedicated Memory: 112 MB

Shared Memory: 3812 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: SDC4751

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.987Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd12umd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32,igd12umd32

Driver File Version: 10.18.0015.4256 (English)

Driver Version: 10.18.15.4256

DDI Version: 12

Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1

Driver Model: WDDM 2.0

Graphics Preemption: Primitive

Compute Preemption: Thread group

Miracast: Supported

Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated

Power P-states: Not Supported

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/25/2015 12:31:34, 36681912 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4756-11CF-2C63-4D39BBC2C735}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x0416

SubSys ID: 0x1942103C

Revision ID: 0x0006

Driver Strong Name: oem5.inf:5f63e534dd929195:iHSWM_w10:10.18.15.4256:pci\ven_8086&dev_0416

Rank Of Driver: 00D12001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C

DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD  DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeVC1_D2010  DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_Progressive_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Multiview_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeHEVC_VLD_Main 

Deinterlace Caps: {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

D3D9 Overlay: Supported

DXVA-HD: Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 8750M

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6600)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Type: Render-Only Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6600&SUBSYS_1947103C&REV_00

Display Memory: 5840 MB

Dedicated Memory: 2027 MB

Shared Memory: 3812 MB

Current Mode: n/a

Driver Name: aticfx64,aticfx64,aticfx64,amdxc64,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,amdxc32,atiumd64,atidxx64,atidxx64,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a,atitmm64

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1395 (English)

Driver Version: 15.200.1045.0

DDI Version: 12

Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1

Driver Model: WDDM 2.0

Graphics Preemption: DMA

Compute Preemption: DMA

Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver

Hybrid Graphics GPU: Discrete

Power P-states: Not Supported

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/30/2015 07:17:55, 1462072 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: n/a

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x6600

SubSys ID: 0x1947103C

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem10.inf:cb0ae4141169fe8f:ati2mtag_R502:15.200.1045.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_6600&subsys_1947103c&rev_00

Rank Of Driver: 00D10000

Video Accel: n/a

DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD  DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_Progressive_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD  DXVA2_ModeMPEG4pt2_VLD_AdvSimple_NoGMC  DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT 

Deinterlace Caps: n/a

D3D9 Overlay: n/a

DXVA-HD: n/a

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

I'm facing INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR only when I install Catalyst App

d718

My only workaround to that was to install the amd drivers while the intel gpu was disabled. I enabled after reboot and all was fine. I have those same drivers but I think the newer one is 15.20.1062..... that's the one I couldn't get to work at all.

willwillfixit

DONT UNISTALL THE DRIVER. Here's a video that will fix it longer than five minutes. Windows 10 Internal Power Error - THE REAL FIX. DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS. Safe mode boot in descri - YouTube

customer

Well that doesn't even do anything. "The drivers for this device are up to date". Don't understand how this is supposed to work when windows windows update and the latest AMD drivers are not working. And yes I also got an Intel HD 4000, inside a Clevo notebook. My graphics card now seems to be R9 M290X instead of HD8970M because they just renamed it.

sailordeath

I just did this:

1. Booted into safe mode
                                      2. Loaded Device Manager
                                      3. Selected the AMD video adapter (was listed as an R7 m265 which is incorrect it's an M270)
                                      4. Right clicked on it and selected update driver
                                      5. Select Browse for driver software
                                      6. Select Let me pick from a list
                                      7. in the window select the correct model driver (In my case it said, AMD Radeon R7 M270 Version 15.200.1065.0 [7/21/2015])
                                      8. After updating, reboot PC normally.

1 hour later and no blue screen. I'm willing to say this fixed it.

computex

To disabling or Uninstalling AMD Driver is not a solution. By doing this, you are no longer to use AMD Graphic Card. Ya that's true, it all happening because of not supporting drivers exactly. I have downgraded my catalyst 15.7.1 to 15.7 and now everything is working now. I had not faced INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR till now.