23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2015 10:05 AM by rust

HD8970M - Catalyst 15.7 Windows 10 x64 Broken, BSOD

customer

Good morning,

as the title suggests I'm having severe problems to run Windows 10 on my notebook containing a 8970M. After windows update installed the AMD display driver I got into a BSOD loop at startup, saying "Internal Power Error". After reinstalling Windows 10 and installing the latest Catalyst from the AMD website the problem reoccured. I was able to remove the driver by booting windows in safe mode. Then once again windows update installed the "HD8970M display driver" update, this time fortunately not putting me in a boot loop. However, the system still crashes randomly every 15 minutes. Additionaly, if I select Catalyst Control Center from the context menu when I rightclick the desktop, my system will instantly crash to "Internal Power Error". Also notable: Windows apparently doesn't use the internal HD4000 graphics, the icon on my notebook displaying dedicated gpu activity stays on after boot. Is there anything I can do right now to run Windows 10 without having to uninstall the graphics driver? Thank you in advance!

regards

• Re: HD8970M - Catalyst 15.7 Windows 10 x64 Broken, BSOD
          shovon

I'm using Radeon HD 8750M, and facing the same problem.

After uninstalling the Catalyst 15.7.1, PC is running smoothly.

N.B. The driver for my GPU and AMD Evolve working fine, so I think the issue is only with the Catalyst!

crunk

hello guys,

this is the error i get during the installation of amd drivers.

no matter what i do or how i try always this error appears.

• Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M – Fehler 0x800f0203

-> this error i got before several times Internal Power Error

->Also that i could select several internal HD4600 graphics in my catalyst.

dunno why i thought that windows 10 could be usuable but for now i waisted more then 10hours just wating for something to happen like here in this amd community thread where more then 1 day later no amd staff is helping

or in ur posts before ( driver are stable for all gc within 6 years yeaha )

->why u spread this information?
            ->why u put a 8970m in the driver compatiblity if there is nothing compatible?

should i try to use windows 10 with my R9 290 x ? or will i face the same problems as now and just have freakin show like here on on my laptop???

i read something about a promise u made that windows 10 drivers will work as soon as its released now i see what value ur promises got

i know its hard to hear but i got another pc and another laptop with nvidia gc and windows 10 and i can play games, render models do everything i want because the driver are working. ... so AMD thank u for nothing but wasting my time would be great if someone would be able to post something asap.

edit -> i tried the drivers i get with the windows update and the latest drivers i could download from ur page (15.7.1)

customer

Sad, but true. I can't even get my HD8970M running on a clean Windows 8.1 installation now. It used to work with the vendor driver, but I can't find the dvd. The latest driver from the vendor site doesn't seem to work. My GPU is recognized as R9 290M or something like that >.>

The latest official driver is far from compatible with my gc, it works, but every game flickers like hell, you can't even see anything.

I guess I will have to look for the DVD containing the drivers designed for Windows 7, those are the only ones that ever worked for me. Any advice would be appreciated though.

customer

I know found another vendor driver,  I guess I previously tried the wrong one. This one seems to be working at least on Windows 8.1. However, my 8970M is displayed as an AMD Radeon R9 M290X. Guess they are the same anyway, not confusing at all. Anyway, just started up a game, didn't even get 3 fps. And the fans would stay as silent as possible, after closing the game and switching back to the Intel HD 4000 the fans turned on, wtf.

customer

Another hint: DirectX 11 works perfectly fine, however, once I start a game or benchmark in DirectX9 instead, the framrate goes down to like 5 fps.

customer

I fixed the problem by reverting to Windows 8.1, installing an old Catalyst 13.x-CLEVO vendor driver. My graphics card is displayed as R9 M290X even in BIOS. Nice rename policy AMD got there. However, DirectX 9 games must be run in windowes mode, then they work perfectly fine.

ckirchner

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem with my HD 7970 and now found a solution:

1. Uninstall Lucid Virty MVP (if installed). This is usally active, if you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.

2. Install the AMD 15.6 Beta Driver for WIndows 8.1 from June22 "amd-catalyst-15.6-beta-software-suite-win8.1-64bit-june22".

Now your graphics adapter will be detected correctly and everything works fine.

The latest driver 15.7.1 is not working with my card and even after the solution, cannot be installed as Windows 10 tells me, that it is not suitable for this platform.

crunk

hey guys im back and not raging anymore

i can now play all my games on windows 10 with my hd 8970m

BUT i still got sometimes this errors =)

1.Internal Power Error

2.Clock Watchdog Timeout

3."freeze" most time during surfing or writing

yesterday i deleted all my amd files, cleaned my system and reg files. later i tried to use old driver (win 8.1) but these dont let me install my hd 8970m correctly.

so i again cleaned all files and restartet several times. before going to bed i was suprised that i could move my windows without any lags.

so i starded hwinfo (my hd 8970m was listed) same in msi afterburne & device manager. the problem was i could not play anygame because i cant select to use my hd 8970m because i got no catalyst center. so i installed the catalyst center without the driver but the amd gaming evolved app ( just to check latest driver ).

this driver was sucessfully installed during a windows update. all time before i got a error which told me that i could not install this update (ERROR DURING INSTALLATION)

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M

This driver was provided by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. for support of AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M

Driver Version 15.200.1062.1003

now i can play all my games stable Dota 2, CS:GO, BF4 without crash. same for my render engines.

my amd gaming evolved app all time reports that there is a new driver for my GC 15.7.1. but i will stay for now with this driver settings is got.

i really hope that amd will release drivers which i can use without all this  trouble and figuring out what to do next. and next question... if u release such a poor buggy driver like 15.7.1. why dont u present a guide for guys like me ? or dont u test it before u release?

so once again thank u for nothing AMD  i fixed it by myself 

Hey AMD if u offer me enough money i would change my job and help u with ur driver problem. Im sure they would not be as good as the nvidia ones but much better then urs now and even if they would the same as urs are now i would spend some time to post a solutions which could be usefull for other users.

i would never turn Lucid Virty MVP on u gain no fps just problems.

(sorry for my bad english guys but i hope u will be able to understand me^^)

jp381242

I have an Intel Gen4 I7 with a 4600 GPU and a 8970m AMD CPU. Enduro is now switching off the 8970m back to the intel card. Started after Windows 10 upgrade. Any know fix?

d3fcon

Well you guys are lucky, The drivers from Windows 10 and my HD7970 have completely killed my cards. I have formated and i believe there dead because the initial installation of windows after the issue still shows the same issue as well as when back in windows. My bios and boot screen show same issues. As you can see in the images below. I believe this is beyond repair. ATI what the hell ? 4K Laptop down the drain.. I can't believe it.

happened in windows 10 after i updated to the lastest drivers from ATI, Crashed in BF4, would not boot just got black screen. Could not uninstall drivers in safe mode or from comman prompt.

Images are non good, But i have lines all over my screen. I cant install any drivers. The Bios and MS Dos screens have pink and blue lines all through it

d3fcon

looked at uploadded images on ipad the look fine so it may be my screen I will test that. but I cant install any drivers it just fails

d3fcon

Sorry i lie it is not the screen, JUst the windows screen capture software does not show the issue of hundreds of verticle lines across the screen in Bios, Windows and windows install. GPU Damage from latest driver indeed

jp381242

Have you tried Windows 15.6 beta driver? Worked for me. Running 8970m. Please try and report back.

rust

HINT: Try uninstalling all AMD drivers. Restart. Install drivers again BUT manual install and don't install HDMI drver (turn it off). RESTART. Run installation of amd driver again, this time install HDMI driver only.  Hope it helps