25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 11:42 PM by funkyfreshfrank

Driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series?

natastic22

Before I updated to Windows 10 I was able to got into the Catalyst Control Center and change my GPU Scaling so my screen would fit perfectly on my monitor. Now I have this black border around my screen when I put the resolution at 1920x1080 and I don't know how to get rid of it. I am currently running my screen resolution at 1680x1050 to get rid of the border but everything looks a little fuzzy.

I was on the phone with a Microsoft worker earlier for 2 hours while i watched him take over my computer and find a solution but he couldn't find one. Finally, he gave up and just told me to come here and ask for advice.

I tried installing the AMD Mobility Radeon™ Notebook Drivers but when I open it, it only gives me CPU options not GPU. Is anyone else having this problem or know a solution?

• Re: Driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series?
          mr_in_demand

I have an issue with the same graphics card, but no drivers for windows 10... I understand its an older card, but this is ridiculous... When do we get a driver????

agrb63

This worked for me

You need to uninstall your previous AMD Control centre (Remove everything) and restart your computer, and then install the windows 7/8 AMD legacy driver (AMD Catalyst 13.4 Legacy Driver) under compatibility mode windows 8 with administrative rights (Right click on setup and select TROUBLESHOOT compatibility THEN SELECT TROUBLSHOOT PROGRAM, THEN SELECT THE PROGRAM WORKED IN EARLIER VERSIONS, THEN SELECT Windows 8, COMPLETE COMPATABILTY MODE), this will then give you partial Catalyst control centre. You then need to go to Device manager and manually force install the legacy display driver which did not install using setup. Double click on Ati display driver choose driver tab, select update driver, select 'browse my computer' for driver, then select 'Let me pick from list' click on have disk, and browse to your driver directory C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_13.4_Legacy_Beta_Vista_Win7_Win8\Packages\Drivers\Display. And select the FOLDER  W8_inf, this will then install the legacy driver correctly, and give you full functionality of the Legacy driver. This driver works fine with no issues detected so far, even the app market works fine.

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

thecla1958

Dear Andy,

I followed your instructins, but I can install a adminitrator but I cannot choose the windows 8 option and all the other option you mentioned.

After installing I do want to manually select the driver but I am getting the massage that an error occured while installing the driver. Reason being: hardware could not berecognized due to absence of a hardware id, code 9)

Can you help me? Because I still cannot change the screen resolution.

Thanks in advance for your effort.

Regards,

Thecla

tonyclegg

I have both an HD4300 and a HD4550 graphics card in my two media PC's.  Initially after the Windows 10 install, it defaulted to Windows compatible.  However, when going into the system and drivers, and clicking on update, it installed the drivers.  Everything now looks find in 1920x1080.

The problem I have is I am unable to install the Catalyst Control Centre.  Therefore, annoyingly I have black borders around my LCD tv and it's annoying.

Whilst others on the forum say there are no drivers for Win 10, and agree, Win 10 will install previous Windows drivers.  Even CCC worked fine in Windows 8.1

All we need is CCC to install with Windows 10.  May an update around the corner, as it's not the graphics driver I need.

minhduy

I was just like you, can not install Catalyst Ccontrol Center to adjust black border around the screen. truth is unpleasant.

agrb63

This worked for me

You need to uninstall your previous AMD Control centre (Remove everything) and restart your computer, and then install the windows 7/8 AMD legacy driver (AMD Catalyst 13.4 Legacy Driver) under compatibility mode windows 8 with administrative rights (Right click on setup and select TROUBLESHOOT compatibility THEN SELECT TROUBLSHOOT PROGRAM, THEN SELECT THE PROGRAM WORKED IN EARLIER VERSIONS, THEN SELECT Windows 8, COMPLETE COMPATABILTY MODE), this will then give you partial Catalyst control centre. You then need to go to Device manager and manually force install the legacy display driver which did not install using setup. Double click on Ati display driver choose driver tab, select update driver, select 'browse my computer' for driver, then select 'Let me pick from list' click on have disk, and browse to your driver directory C:\AMD\AMD_Catalyst_13.4_Legacy_Beta_Vista_Win7_Win8\Packages\Drivers\Display. And select the FOLDER  W8_inf, this will then install the legacy driver correctly, and give you full functionality of the Legacy driver. This driver works fine with no issues detected so far, even the app market works fine.

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

agrb63

This worked for me

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

agrb63

This worked for me

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

svenniewafel

Same here, same graphics card, same issue with monitor attached through hdmi. Tried the Windows Vista/7/8 version of the driver, but it failed to install.

Really, REALLY hope AMD is releasing Windows 10 driver support for our cards soon!

agrb63

This worked for me

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

minhduy

I also truly hope early AMD driver updates to users as we continue to favor AMD. thank you very much....

svenniewafel

For anyone with the black boarder problem: this solution solved the problem for me:

AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series Overscan / Underscan fix on Windows 10 

It requires some fiddling in the register, but it's easy if you carefully follow the instructions step by step.

tssz

Yes, it works for me too, my card is AMD Radeon HD4200.

Try this instruction guys, and step by step. AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series Overscan / Underscan fix on Windows 10

AMD should really consider to officially release a drive to support those old cards, otherwise, people just leave.

kingfish

There will be no magic "update" that will allow this card to meet the minimum requirements for Windows 10 (or Windows 8.1). Pony up for a modern graphics card or remain with Vista or XP.

QUOTE:

Windows® 10 Driver and AMD Graphics Product Compatibility Version 1                    

This document provides the answers to frequently asked questions about Windows® drivers for AMD graphics product compatibility. Examples include; where to get AMD Catalyst™ driver for Windows 10 and what products are compatible with DirectX® 12.

Will my graphics adapter work in Windows® 10 if it does not support DirectX® 12?

AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series products should fully work in Windows® 10 but will not support DirectX® 12 specific features.  AMD is working closely with Microsoft® to have certified graphics drivers available for these products when Windows® 10 officially launches.

AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 Series or older products are not certified to support Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.2 or later.  Therefore, systems using AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 Series or older will default to running the Microsoft® Basic Display Driver.  As a result, display functionality may be limited.

If your graphics adapter is based on an AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 Series or older, you may consider these options:

1. Upgrade to an AMD graphics card on the support product list.
                                        2. Continue using the existing operating system.
                                            sfoster95

Unfortunately I  had the 4200 series driver on a Windows 7 computer prior to upgrade to windows 10. Not vista or XP. I am not having any visibility issues however I get a nag box every time I login in to windows that there is no AMD driver installed. I think it is very unfair to force us to either upgrade graphics card. I guess I will put up with the stupid nag box until I absolutely can't stand it maybe by then I can just afford a new latptop instead of the cost of the new graphics card and labor for someone to put it in.

kingfish

There are a jillion posts asking the same thing. Any graphics card older than the HD 5000 series are not supported in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 and there will be no updates for these legacy cards. the drivers Windows Update gives you are basic drivers for basic web browsing.

FAQ: Windows® 10 Driver and AMD Graphics Product Compatibility

Screenshot_4.pngScreenshot_5.png

cuantico

All we used ATI Radeon 4200 series have the same problem. AMD did not manufacture this series drivers for Windows 10. Not even say whether they will make. No Catalyst Control Center for the 4200 series can not believe you are so irresponsible. Owners of cards that series can not use Windows 10;personally I had to return to Windows 7. Microsoft is not obligated to make these drivers. Sorry but AMD should say something officially about it. Thank you very much.

agrb63

This worked for me

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

agrb63

This worked for me

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

agrb63

This worked for me

GOOD LUCK

ANDY

mettapax

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much for your help!   You know, this thread has been rather rude in your efforts... it's puzzling. But seeing your efforts is a little amusing. I am not installing Win10 just yet, but it looks like I will have to eventually and now I have at the very least an option and at the most a solution! YAY! I can let you know the results when I do take the leap, if you like. Just say the word and I'll make a note of it.

Thanks again! Have a happy!

destrock

Thats funny... He did the mistake so many times lol !

"And select the FOLDER  W8_inf,"

No no, it is the W8_infA with a A at the end. When we select the W8_inf its telling us the driver is 32 bit while we are on a 64 bit windows...

But thx man, I did not reboot yet but I been able to change my 3d settings inside my AMD VISION engine control center so it seem to be working finely...

I downloaded the beta version 13.4 to be sure to follow your steps carefully but I don't know if the 13.1 is more stable than that old 2013 beta or not... Ifthe 13.4 would be stable, I guess amd would have removed the 13.1 by now...

mckone

I've successfully fixed my father's HP G62 notebook equipped with Radeon HD 4200 graphics card for 64 bit Windows 10 following the instructions posted by Andy (quite a few times) above, in combination with suggestion from "destrock" to choose the driver folder W8_infA at the end of the process.

For clarity, I picked the beta version 13.4 driver for Win 8.1  from this Legacy page.

Word of caution though: there were some errors during the installation process of the Catalyst Control centre. Windows 10 crashed after the first driver installation. To my big surprise Windows 10 started working on the HP laptop with 32 million colours and 1378 pixels wide resolution. The catalyst control center starts to the Windows tray but I cannot launch the program. There is an error message in every boot ""kbdsync.exe stopped working". Other than that the graphics and the computer seem to work fine.

Having said the above, this experience has not been a nice ride. Today, companies strive to delight their customers, and now both AMD and Microsoft have let me down. For this reason, my processor or graphics adapter will next time not be AMD, nor will the operating system be Windows.

funkyfreshfrank

I don't know if anybody has recommended this or not but I just happen to stumble into a very easy fix and it worked perfectly. I was trying to install Minecraft on an older computer that uses the ATI Radeon HD4200 and nothing would work for me. I tried downloading drivers from the ATI support page but that didn't work at all. Here's what I did. I went into Device Manager, expanded "Display Adapters" and right clicked on "ATI Radeon HD 4200". I then clicked on "Properties" and on the properties window I clicked the "Driver" tab. I then clicked on "Update Driver" and on the next window I chose "Browse my computer for driver software". On the next window I clicked on "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". I placed a check on "Show compatible hardware" and it gave me a list of drivers available for the graphics card. I chose the oldest driver and installed it and it worked for me. After all the time I wasted looking for solutions and the solution was right there just waiting for me to find. I hope it works for everyone else.