19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 2:51 PM by kingfish

Radeon HD 4200 series - windows 10

mlxcrs

Meu notebook tem a placa de vídeo integrada Radeon HD 4200 Series. Eu queria saber se vai ser feita uma versão do driver dela para o windows 10? Pois eu tenho entrado no site dos drivers e ainda só vejo alguns outros.

My notebook have Integrated Video Card Radeon HD 4200 Series.I would Like know if will be maked a driver for this?

• Re: Radeon HD 4200 series - windows 10
          kingfish

No. The 4xxx series cards are legacy...no more updates. That card does not  meet the minimum requirements. If you use Windows 10, you will be furnished a driver by Windows Update that will offer basic utilization. You will not have the full Windows 10 experience, ie DX12,  etc.  Your best bet is to use Windows 7.

tekkenlord

I have a hd4300/4500 chipset and there's actually windows 8.1 drivers from ATI and they work just perfect, i even play games like lego marvel, lego movie and many others without any issue, and if the chipset supports win 8.1 wich ALSO has AERO, i don't see any problem for ati making drivers for the hd4XXX series for windows 10 except LAZINESS and greed so other people has to update their graphic cards.

i have installed this card also with windows 10 from first technical preview to 10240 RTM candidate using the 8.1 drivers just disabling the driver enforcement in W10 and they run fine too, even prove them with ARK Evolution and the card runs just FINE, nevertheless it would be nice to see ati making drivers for this series and every series that actually can support windows 10 and not giving lame excuses, since Windows 10 is virtually the OS as Windows 8.1 but with major tweaks... hell it could even be or should be called 8.2, cuz thats what really is, ince it was born.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                  kingfish

There are no windows 8.1 drivers for your card/chip....or for anything 4xxx series and older. Windows Update and I guess Windows 10 supply generic drivers but Windows 10 require WDDM 2.0 for full functionality which you can't make a unsupported card/chip have.

Q: Which AMD products are supported in the Windows® 10 technical preview?

A: All AMD processors are compatible with the Windows® 10 technical preview. In addition, all DirectX® 9-compatible (or higher) accelerated processing units and AMD Radeon™ graphics cards are supported in the Windows® 10 technical preview. Specific legacy products (e.g., AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 series) may require use of drivers provided by Microsoft® through Windows Update with their Windows® 10 installation.

AMD Catalyst™ Driver for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000 and HD 2000 Series

After five years of active service, the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series products reached peak performance optimization on October 15, 2013, and were transitioned to a legacy support lifecycle. No additional driver releases are planned for these products. It is important that PC gamers migrate to a modern AMD Radeon™ graphics card. Customers migrating to a modern GPU can benefit from exciting new features, improved performance, lower power consumption and broad compatibility with the latest PC games.p>

History

WDDM 1.0

Windows Vista introduced WDDM 1.0 as a new display driver architecture designed to be better performing, more reliable, and support new technologies including HDCP.[17]

WDDM 1.1

Windows 7 supports major additions to WDDM known as WDDM 1.1; the details of this new version were unveiled at WinHEC 2008. New features include:[10]

Hardware acceleration of GDI and Direct2D/DirectWrite operations helps reduce memory footprint in Windows 7, because DWM compositing engine no longer needs to keep a system memory copy of all surfaces used by GDI/GDI+, as in Windows Vista.[22][23][24]

DXGI 1.1, Direct3D 11, Direct2D, and DirectWrite were made available with Windows Vista Platform Update; however GDI/GDI+ in Vista continues to rely on software rendering[25] and the Desktop Window Manager continues to use Direct3D 9Ex.[26]

WDDM 1.1 drivers are backward compatible with WDDM 1.0 specification; both 1.0 and 1.1 drivers can be used in Windows Vista with or without the Platform Update.[10]

WDDM 1.2

Windows 8 includes WDDM 1.2[27][28] and DXGI 1.2.[28][29] New features were first previewed at the Windows BUILD 2011 conference and include performance improvements as well as support for stereoscopic 3D rendering and video playback.

Other major features include preemptive multitasking of the GPU with finer granularity (DMA buffer, primitive, triangle, pixel, or instruction-level),[30] reduced memory footprint, improved resource sharing, and faster timeout detection and recovery. 16-bit color surface formats (565, 5551, 4444) are mandatory in Windows 8, and Direct3D 11 Video supports YUV 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0/4:1:1 video formats with 8, 10, and 16-bit precision, as well as 4 and 8-bit palettized formats.[31]

WDDM 1.0/1.1 only allows rudimentary task scheduling using "batch queue" granularity; improvements to multitasking, as well as fast context switching and support for virtual memory, were initially expected in versions tentatively named WDDM 2.0 and WDDM 2.1, which were announced at WinHEC 2006.[32][33][34]

WDDM 1.3

Windows 8.1 includes WDDM 1.3[35] and DXGI 1.3.[36] New additions include the ability to trim DXGI adapter memory usage, multi-plane overlays, overlapping swap chains and swap chain scaling, select backbuffer subregion for swap chain and lower-latency swap chain presentation. Driver feature additions include wireless displays (Miracast), YUV format ranges, cross-adapter resources and GPU engine enumeration capabilities.

WDDM 2.0

Windows 10 includes WDDM 2.0, which is designed to dramatically reduce workload on the kernel-mode driver for GPUs that support virtual memory addressing,[37] to allow multithreading parallelism in the user-mode driver and result in lower CPU utilization.[38][39][40] WDDM 2.0 will ship with Windows 10. [41]

Direct3D 12 API, announced at Build 2014, will require WDDM 2.0. The new API will do away with automatic resource-management and pipeline-management tasks and allow developers to take full low-level control of adapter memory and rendering states.

chrf

Microsoft says: Minimum requirements for Windows 10:

WDDM 1.0 and Directx 9.

Why should for exaple the HD 4000 series not work? The Nvidia 8800 GTS in my second PC ist one year older than the existing HD4670 and has got Windows 10 drivers.

Why will AMD not make legacy drivers for this series. (Which has WDDM 1.2 and Directx 10)

tekkiaussie

WDDM & DirectX support require specific hardware support which was not built into the HD 4000 series cards, it is not something you can just "add" through driver support.

It really is as simple as this:

The lack of this hardware support happened because WDDM 1.2 support requirements were only reviled publicly around 2011 and I am guessing that AMD were aware of this by that time, as the HD 5000 series, which was released in 2010, already came with this support built in. The HD 4000 series were released between 2008 and 2009 and as such could not have been built with requirements which came 2-3 years later. Also remember that even if a card series was launched on a specific "date" it would mean that the final "build" of the product would have happened quite a while before hand.

Microsoft's "basic requirements" (WDDM 1.0 & DX 9) means that it will function, as in continue to send out a signal, using the basic drivers they provide. But Hardware Acceleration on this card, for Win 10, requires WDDM 1.2 support which just cannot be "enabled" on these cards for the reasons mentioned above (hardware support requirements not known at the time).

So it boils down to, "you can still use your HD 4000 series card, but you will not get any Hardware Acceleration with it". In order to do so you would need to upgrade to a HD 5000 or higher card.

My suggestion would be to just upgrade to a HD 7000 or R series card so that you can also support DirectX 12 applications which will come out in the future.

2 of 2 people found this helpful

Maybe the most possible reason for this is not its driver model, but the underlying GPU microarchitecture. For nVidia 8xxx series GPUs the underlying CUDA cores tends to be general processors which could be further programmed to support latest features or even accelerate media decoding or encoding. But for the ATI 3xxx/4xxx GPU, the underlying microarchitecture tends to be specific purpose processors mimic to VLIW architecture, not that easy to be programmed to implement new features. I have tested two entry level platform based on HD4200 and Geforce 8200 GPU,  let them both work under Windows 8.1 and Office 2013, the performance of Geforce 8200 GPU could be acceptable, but the temperature is much higher than HD4200, of course, I mean the North Bridge. But for the Internet Explorer, the performance of HD4200 is a bit better. So for HD4200 platform, I would love to stick back to Windows 7.

tekkiaussie

What you have described sounds like a integrated Intel HD 4000 series card, and even though you may have HD 4000 Chipset inside your computer this does not mean that it is the only GPU installed.Many motherboards come with these Chipsets installed by may still have a Discrete Graphics Card installed as well.

If you could give more information about your system you may find that you also have a compatible Graphics Card installed.

sautrotteln

The answer is very simple. Use the Win 7 driver and deactivate automatic driver update (look here http://windowsinstructed.com/disable-automatic-device-driver-download-in-windows-10/ ). The last driver for HD4200 was from end of 2013 as far as I remember and it works without problems on my computer with Win 10.

The reason why companies do not update drivers after a while is the sames as everywhere in a capitalistic economic system. Durability and long lifetime are the natural enemies to the idol "permanent economic growth". There are no rules to prevent companies pillaging the worlds resources for future generations. So they want to sell new stuff and therefore the old stuff has to die - even if it is not broken. Its as simple as this.

tune

Don't listen to those that say it wont work correctly with Windows 10, because it does. I have an older computer Gateway with a Q6600 processor, 8 GB ram, and the ATI HD4670 video card. I play the  MMO World of Warships using this video card and Windows 10. It is true this video card only supports up to DirectX 10.1 But World of Warships works just find with this card. It downplays the graphics to work on this card. I don't recall what FPS I get but it is plenty to make the game enjoyable on low to medium graphics that i recall. So Windows 10 works great with the 4000 series cards. just don't expect it to use any abilities above DirextX 10.1

Windows 10 loaded the drivers for it automatically. I did not have to search forums requesting what drivers to load. Windows 10 took care of finding the correct drivers without any input from me.

Again my experience is based on the 4670 I do not have any experience with the 4200. But I am sure it will work fine as long as the games you play support it.

kingfish

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.1 and DirectX® 10.1:

• ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series Graphics
                              • ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics
                              • ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics

These graphics products must be installed using display driver version: 8.970.100.9001. This driver is provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.