AnsweredAssumed Answered

Upgrading AMD processor (AM3 mobo, AM3+ socket processor)

Question asked by uncreative on Jul 18, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2015 by uncreative

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my processor for some more gaming power. My computer is about 5 years old, so it's about time.

The processor I'm looking to buy is the "AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition", since it seems pretty powerful at a really good cost. The processor is an AM3+ socket processor.

However, the motherboard I'm using (FOXCONN 2AB1, specs here: Foxconn 2AB1 motherboard for PC Gaming by Foxconn ) has an AM3 processor socket.

On amazon, someone asked a question asking if it would work with an AM3 socket motherboard because it was initially designated on amazon as an AM3 processor, and someone answered that it would work because AM3 and AM3+ are pin compatible, but there would be some things that the processor would be unable to do if it's on an AM3 socket mobo. (Question asked here: Amazon.com: Questions And Answers: the link amazon send me here with said it was an am3 socket but the product details s… )

I figured I'd ask before spending $100 on the processor and make sure with people who know for sure and can tell me exactly what I'd be able and unable to do with the processor if I bought it.

Outcomes