1 2 3 First Previous 1,116 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 1:12 PM by ray_m

MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

hexero

What is the exact driver i am to be using for this card, everything i am trying is crashing.

• 1. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
          goodplay

Capture8.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
            menacerx

Yep the 15.15 driver should do the trick. When I installed my R9 390 by Gigabyte I installed it without removing the old software for my 7870. Once everything was in place, turned it on and installed the new 15.15 driver as a clean install. Been stable and clean so far. I haven't experienced the sleep profile issue some have reported either. Computer acts normal and the graphics are flawless for me.

Win 7 Pro 64

Intel i7 4790k cooled with a Corsair H60 Push/Pull Liquid Loop system

Gigabyte Z97X Black Edition Motherboard

R9 390 Gigabyte G1 8GB

32 GB of G.Skill RipJaw @1600

500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Main OS and Apps)

1 TB SSHD by Seagate (Games drive)

2 TB WD Black HDD (Movies, Music, Documents)

750W Thermaltake PSU Modular

Rosewill Blackhawk Gaming MidATX Tower

• 3. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
              daz

Didn't help here.

I also tried almost everything. I even went throug various potential fixes with the MSI support.

Problem: Game (Final Fantasy XIV with DX11 and max. graphic settings) crashes sporadically with blackscreen and a message that the driver stopped working.

Setup:

• Windows 7 Professional
              • Intel Core i7 4770k
              • 16 GB RAM
              • MSI R9 390 8G
              • 250GB SSD (OS)
              • 1TB HDD
              • 500GB HDD
              • be quiet! 850W

Approaches:

• Uninstalled all graphic card drivers and CCC and installed 15.15 by AMD - Didn't work.
              • Uninstalled all graphic card drivers and CCC, BIOS Update and installed 15.15 by AMD - Didn't work.
              • Uninstalled all graphic card drivers and CCC with DDU and installing 15.15 by AMD - Didn't work.
              • Reinstalled OS and installed 15.15 by AMD - Didn't work.
              • Reinstalled OS and installed 15.15 before everything else with network unplugged - Didn't work.

I still get blackscreens and driver crashes (at least my OS is quite fast again), but only in combination with DX11 and FFXIV. I didn't try games like Batman: Arkham Knight or GT5 in 4k so I have no comparison there and can't tell if it's a problem the driver experiences when it actually has to work for it's money, but DX9 on FFXIV with max. settings works quite well without any Blackscreen interruptions so far.

I'd really appreciate any usefull advice or experience here, because I don't know what to do anymore.. and it seems the MSI support has no clue either.

• 4. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                s4ng

Hi, I have the same problem with my MSI 390X 8gb. I had an nvidia card before and I made sure the drivers for that card were deleted and manually cleaned the registry as well.

The drivers crash when I'm playing Ubisoft's The Crew. It says “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered”. I googled it and found a dedicated support page for this error.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx

These are the things I did to try and solve the issue.

1. I verified the files with Uplay. If you're not familiar with it, it checks if the files are faulty or corrupt and then replaces them. All was good.
                2. I updated the BIOS. Since this card just came out last week, the newest version of the BIOS doesn't have a specific fix for my card's issue.
                3. I'm on Windows 8.1 pro and it's fully updated.
                4. I checked if the drivers for the graphics card are up to date. The drivers are shown in the screenshot attached to this post. It seems those weren't the correct drivers, so now I have the 15.15 drivers like mentioned by menacerx installed. Still the drivers keep crashing.
                5. I have not overclocked anything on my pc.
                6. I checked the temperatures with MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor for overheating but neither showed temperatures that were too high at any time.
                7. All my hardware should be compatible with this graphics card, but I'm not entirely sure. I couldn't find anything that implies that this card is not compatible with my motherboard.

My hardware is listed below:

• Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 (Socket 1150)
                • CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K (Socket 1150, Boxed)
                • Graphics card: MSI Radeon R9 390X - Gaming - 8GB GDDR5
                • RAM: G.Skill 8GB PC3-17000 RipjawsX DDR3 SDRAM (4x 2GB, 2133MHz, CL11)
                • PSU: Corsair 750W CX750M Series powersupply
                • Primary harddrive: Corsair 120GB Force GT Solid State Drive (SATA-600, 2.5")
                • Secondary harddrive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black (SATA-600, 3.5", 7200RPM, 64MB)

How can I solve this?

Thank you in advance,

Peter

390x driver versions.JPG

• 5. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                  goodplay

Sorry mate,this thread is more about which correct driver to install,not gaming problems with driver.

There is a thread relating to DX11/FFXIV,check that out(maybe more helpful to you to move your post there),and,sorry,can't otherwise help.

• 6. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                    goodplay

Your link shows "error-not found" for me,and I cannot find 15.20 driver(still shows 15.15 for me),on amd driver page..

Also,see my previous post.You may also want to move your post,or,.start a thread with it..

Edited 7pm 29/6:-Websearch found ref. to modded Win 10 15.20 drivers.

• 7. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                      mightyucker

The 15.20 drivers would be on the driver disk that came with the card.

I have an Asus r9 390x, the only problem I had was when I first installed it with old drivers still on PC.

My OS is on it's own ssd so a simple format and fresh install using driver disk that came with card sorted everything out for me.

Hexero, try using the driver on the disk instead of downloaded drivers from AMD. Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                        s4ng

Well, initially I installed the 15.20 drivers from the disc that came witb it. Then I used the express uninstall on the amd install manager to uninstall all amd software, including the installer. Then I used DDU uninstaller to uninstall and delete all leftover stuff from amd in safe mode. At last I installed the downloaded one, 15.15. Still the same issue persists.

• 9. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                          theacclaimed

Which application(s) is crashing? So far the major ones observed by several users include FFXIV Heavensward DX11 and Witcher 3.

• 10. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                            goodplay

mightyucker:

The 15.20 drivers would be on the driver disk that came with the card.

I have an Asus r9 390x

Interesting,asus do list 15.20 driver.but others don't,curious.

ray_m amdmatt

Any comment on this,just so we non 300 users don't give misinformation on current correct driver.

• 11. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                              amdmatt

The driver to download and use the for the R7 and R9 300 series (and the Fury X) is Catalyst 15.15.

2 of 3 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                                s4ng

It always crashes when playing The Crew. The Witcher 3 and an other racing game work fine, but not The Crew.

• 13. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                                  gorggg

I have the same problem (XFX R9 390).

Catalyst 15.15 from AMD page doesn't work at all (I get a black screen after Windows logon).

Catalyst 15.20 from XFX driver DVD works, but I get driver crashes in GTA5, ARK: Survival Evolved & in UE4 "Paris" Demo (always at the same place, when entering the bathroom).

GTA5 in DX10 mode works without crashes.

Today, I've bought a new power supply (Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 600W) - same situation.

I've underclocked  the GPU/VRAM to 600/750 MHz - same problem.

the driver must be the cause...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help
                                    theacclaimed

The Crew is a DX11 game so it seems it might be similar to the issue found with other dx11 games crashing. R9 300 series drivers definitely needs an update soon as this could tarnish the whole 300 series.

1 2 3 First Previous