6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 2:06 AM by lockheed02

Linux and AMD

cbrookej

I am using Windows 7.  I am looking into Linux.  I have gotten the impression that Linux can be run on AMD processors, but that this leads to many problems.  Is running Linux on an AMD processor feasible for a nongeek?

• Re: Linux and AMD
          sr1lo

You should have no issues running Linux on an AMD processor(As in the CPU). It will work just as well in Linux as it does in Windows. Where people have problems is with the GPU. Driver support for AMD video cards is really bad at the moment. If you look at a game like Bioshock Infinite on Linux a high end 290x will get destroyed performance wise by a mid range Nvidia 750ti. The AMD drivers are also much more unstable, and you'll get some games that crash, or will not launch when using AMD. For example Strike Suit Zero, and Battle Block Theater are two games of mine that will not launch for me when using AMD, but do when using Nvidia.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              cbrookej

I have no interest in computer games; all I need to do is web browsing and email.  Do these require graphics capability beyond my present equipment?  I have had no difficulty doing anything I want to do with Windows 7.  I think I have an AMD graphics card, but I do not know how to find out which one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              lockheed02

I use my FX 8350 for over a year now and never really had any problem with it in linux. Same goes for my Athlon 64 I had before it. So the CPU should not be a problem. Still in linux you will encounter many challenges but there are many communities that are willing to help.

cbrookej

I am not a geek, and I frequently have not understood things I have seen on Linux forums.  If Linux will present me with many  challenges, I may not be capable of using it.  It has been suggested that Mint with the Cinnamon UI are sufficiently similar to W7 that I should be able to figure it out.  Not so?  Or are the challenges related to hardware, something my shop might be able to with?

Paid telephone support might be the only way I could handle challenges.  Does any such exist?

And thank you all who have replied; I greatly appreciate your assistance.

lockheed02

Please don't get me wrong or dishearten you. Just be aware things are not the same in linux like in Win when it comes certain topics. Give Mint a try. I'm not aware of phone support for this (I only know it from Suse and RedHat but that's more focussed on enterprise versions and servers). Main mean of support are forums. And don't orry, usually people are nice and helpful there