11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2015 6:57 PM by kzac

AMD and Linux

cbrookej

Searching for information on Linux I found a statement that Linux Mint is only compatible with Intel processors.  Which versions of Linux are compatible with AMD processors?

• Re: AMD and Linux
          kingfish

Here is the Linux forum...maybe some answers there > The specified item was not found.

cbrookej

I checked your Linux hyperlink.  All I found were discussions of very specific problems, which did not mean much to this nongeek.  I have not understood most of what I have found on this forum.

It appears that using Linux with AMD processors leads to lots of problems.  Is Linux with AMD something which is simply not feasible for nongeeks?

hardcoregames™

I have used Ubuntu which is the most popular distribution

Eydee

That's false information. Linux is compatible with all x86 (Intel, AMD) processors and much more, even ARM and some rare types. You can install Linux Mint on almost any PC, a P4 from 15 years ago or one built yesterday, it'll all work fine.

kzac

There are many Linux distributions which will run on the AMD processors, that problem was solved long ago.

I have personally been running various Linux Distributions on AMD based machines for decades,

With Linux it's more of a preference game than a functional issue as there are so many really good distributions

I usually start people out with Linux Mint as I find it to be more like Windows 7, and its the most out of the box compatible for later computers.  Its best if you use the stable version especially on a machine which you plan on dual booting.

UEFI and windows will be your stumbling block if you plan to dual boot as windows does not like to share hard drive and boot with other Operating Systems, Microsoft is attempting to gain control of all PCs (and thus force control of its market share) via the Boot Strap and force only windows UEFI under the name of security, which is of course pure garbage. Get a good multiple boot manager (purchase one) and go from there, you will be able to install and boot 4 operating systems from any one hard drive.

if you want to run Linux then you will need to learn about some history else you will be in a sea o stuff without a direction

First are the base versions of Unix (Basically: BSD, Darwin, GNU)

Under each base version come the various distributions

Under the distributions come the various desktop environments  (KDE, GNOME, XFCW, Mate, Cinnamon, etc)

(lots to choose from but not if you have your head on straight, Just remember Version+Distribution+Desktop)

1)  BSD - Berkley Systems most all of their distributions contain the BSD name (Open BSD, Free BSD, Net BSD, Dragonfly BSD etc)

2) Darwin - Which is the base of Mac OSX and iOS and Android ...  Probably won't be running any of these on AMD

3) GNU versions:  This is most likely where you will be obtaining software for your AMD based computer it breaks out Thus

3a Debian and its most common distributions (about 90 distros plus all the Ubuntu distros equaling about 200 in total plus.. desktop environments in each distro):

Ubuntu (about 90 distros)

Mint (included in Ubuntu distos)

XBMC - media server

Chromium - (ie Chrome OS)

Tails

Knoppix (Damn Small Linux, Symphony, Testing and security versions, about 40 in all)

Raspberry pi Version

3b Slackware and its most common distributions (70+ distributions)

SuSE

Tiny

Most of the ARM processor versions

3c Red Hat and its most common distributions (Business and Scientific oriented distributions about 100 in all)

Cent OS (about 8 distros)

Oracle

Fedora (about 25 distros)

Mandrake

None of the base versions are better than the other, they just approach personal computing in different ways, that is why I tell folks: especially with AMD based systems, to stick with the Debian version and its distributions as it will be the most comfortable to learn for folks escaping from Microsoft containment.

I have not found any of the GNU versions I have installed which don't work with AMD, the largest headache with any version of Unix (as well with Microsoft) is getting laptop track-pads, WiFi and sound (especially PCs with HDMI) to behave.  I have discovered that TP-Link plug in WiFi behaves very stable with Linux, as for track pads they are far better than just 3-4 years ago but still tend to go of on wild tangents while typing (but they do the same with Windows so...), as far as HDMI goes its the same as with Microsoft, you have to force sound into another path if you use HDMI as output to your monitor.

Remember that the server versions usually do not contain a GUI, therefore they must be run from the command line (you have to understand the commands or your outta luck)

Second is to remember that all GNU versions have super user admin, base access, to the root directory (something Windows does not have normally), so learn some basics.

Have fun .... Your AMD will operate on Linux

Help to get started

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

How-to: Picking a desktop environment in Linux