11 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 4:14 AM by pinform

How to enable openCL to render on Vray RT ?

shady19406

Hello, i just finished installing my FirePro w8100 in my system and i have the Firepro v5900 installed as well.I have installed the 14.502.1019.0 driver. I want to utilize both cards stream processors for GPU rendering and to be more specific in the VRAY RT engine. I have windows 7 professtional as my OS. I have no knowledge in C++ programing or any other programing language. I have been reading that I need to install the AMD APP SDK v3.0 Beta for the open CL 2.0 (Accelerated Parallel Processing) to work with the Vray RT engine. my questions:

1- do I need to change my OS to windows 8.1?

2- do I need to uninstall my current driver before I install the APP SDK 3.0 beta in order to work?

3- After installing the APP SDK 3.0 beta will the openCL work on the Vray RT GPU rendering right away or do I need further programming steps to do?

Like I said am not a programmer and the info provided on AMD's website is confusing to me. Thank you

• Re: How to enable openCL to render on Vray RT ?
          nou

You should be able to use OpenCL application just after driver instalation. You need APP SDK to develop OpenCL applications or to use CPU as OpenCL device when there is no Catalyst driver.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              shady19406

Thank you very much for your help but if you can answer my concerns, I would be grateful to you

1- do I need to change my OS to windows 8.1?

2- do I need to uninstall my current driver before I install the APP SDK 3.0 beta in order to work?

3- After installing the APP SDK 3.0 beta will the openCL work on the Vray RT GPU rendering right away or do I need further programming steps to do?

nou

1. no

2. no

3. install driver first then try run Vray. It should work without SDK

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      shady19406

Thanks so much, i appreciate your time to answer my questions.

shady19406

Hello, and sorry to bother you again but if you could verify that the SDK APP 3.0 beta installation does not require Windows 8.1 cause after reading the AMD OpenCL installation website it says that it is designed

to support the following platforms: AMD OpenCL™ 2.0 Driver

• Microsoft Windows:
                          • Windows 8.1 (64-bit version)
                        • Linux Distributions:
                          • Red Hat Enterprise 6.5 (64-bit version)
                          • Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit version)

My windows is 7 professional 64bit

CPU     FX 8350

GPUs  W8100 and V5900 only the W8100 have the OpenCL 2.0 support

• Current Driver 14.502.1019.0

My questions:

1. will windows 7 professional 64bit be ok to install the SDK APP 3.0?

2. do i need to uninstall the 14.502.1019.0  driver before installing the SDK APP3.0 cause on the AMD Open CL 2.0 installation page they have info on uninstalling the Catalyst Software Driver?

Thank you very much again and I know that you have already answered my concerns before, but I am a noob whom needs assurance before I proceed.