cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech Deals

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Does Anyone Pay for Microsoft Store Apps?

Now and then I see an email from Microsoft that says they have some great apps for me to try.  I basically have only used free apps, with the exception of the Microsoft Office suite (now called 365).  Are there any good apps that people use in which it's worth paying a one-time fee or even a subscription fee?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
8 Replies
Stanmore
Adept III

I have a handful

An ePub reader, a Bulk Rename tool, a light bar tool, an HDR calibration tool, an MKV creator, Dolby access, Wikicamps, Karaoke app, Ear Trumpet.

I honestly panicked when you listed rename tool.  This tool is free and simply amazing....zero need to buy at Microsoft apps... not that I have anything against paying for apps or Microsoft.     

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php/  

For those that haven't found one they like,  the simplicity yet crazy complexity at the same time make this utility awesome.  I only had to use it once, and it took me a little time to appreciate it completely, I would gladly pay for this on the Microsoft Store if they change from freeware.

Tempted to list other options that you listed, but it would destroy what the post was originally for.

I guess what I'm trying to say is do not assume you have to pay for 'good/best options".  There are surprisingly many apps that are not people that qualify as "Diamonds in the rough". 

But also most certainly If you like an app well enough please support them.

Free is nice, but doesn't mean you cant show some appreciation for apps you love.

aka Discord, while its free, I do subscribe to nitro every now and then to show my appreciation for it.

Thanks BigAl01 for the post, and Stanmore for the reply.  I will have to delve into the store to actually answer this post correctly.  I apologize but atm besides games, i do not know of any apps I have purchased and do not remember any I have possibly considered purchasing atm.

Michael Alan Horton
Stanmore
Adept III

I have a commercial license for BRU....

Axxemann
Forerunner

Heck no. It's bad enough I had to pay for their OS.

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've now saved a bunch of money on Windows 11 builds (I did several this year) by just paying for the key, based on a Tom's Hardware review.  I reuse an earlier purchased Windows 11 USB install stick and with the key only costing around $35 USD (instead of $125 to get a Windows 11 USB stick from Newegg) I save almost $100.  That money could go towards software in the Microsoft Store - or more hardware!

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

I'll be buying the key only when I do the install on my nephew's build. I've got a Win7 Legacy upgrade to 10 right now, and I'm not upgrading until absolutely forced to.

Performance over Pretty.
Stanmore
Adept III

I have never paid for an OS.

I don't have MS Store apps, just apps from the store. Totally different topic.

I often prefer the store version of apps and I also often pay a developer for 'free' apps if I deem them useful. 

winjer
Adept I

The only thing I got from the MS Store is Gamepass Ultimate. 

But even this, is not a good option to get content . The MS Store and UWP are very buggy and limiting. 

I've found that some games would have performance issues, or bugs on the MS Store, that didn't exist on the Steam version. So I ended up buying a few games on Steam, despite having them available on Gamepass. 

I still have a year left on my Gamepass subscription, but I'm not going to renew it. The MS store is probably the worst place to buy games from.