Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Processors

danidosa
Journeyman III

AMD EPYC vs Intel Xeon

Dear AMD Server Gurus community,

I am facing a performance issue when running DPDK packet generator on top of an AMD EPYC 7763 64 core CPU, while on Intel Xeon(R) Platinum 8352Y I do not see such an issue.

On AMD I am constantly hitting a 150 gigabits per second limit when running the packet generator with bidirectional traffic (1518 B packet size). With jumbo frames (9000B) my best result was 163 gigabits per second . The expectation is to reach 200Gbps.

I need to mention that my dual port ConnectX5 NIC (100 gigabits per second speed) is in NUMA node 0, same as cores from 0 to 15. The expectation is to reach 200Gbps for larger packets as with unidirectional traffic I have 100Gbps (line rate) when using packets larger or equal to 512B.

On Intel I can easily reach ~185 gigabits per second bidirectional traffic with 1518B packet size (I have used the same NICs, same drivers etc.)

Here is my testing details: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kcTPpvYbvmea7Mj7_vjDic2o3Duy8HHUneDnk9d7IJU/edit?usp=sharing (check the sheet named: "3. DPDK 22.11+compiled for AMD: AMD unidirectional / bidirectional"

• packet generator version: 23.03
  • installed DPDK version: 22.11

I have followed the following tuning guides for my system, but nothing seemed to work until now:

Any idea why this issue appears ? 

Any suggestion will help!

Thank you,

Daniel

0 Likes
0 Replies