cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

valp124
Journeyman III

BSOD on Windows Server 2019 (build 2004) in AMDPCore.sys driver

I have a dual EPYC 7742 system on Super Micro H11DSI-NT motherboard running Windows 2019 server, build 2004. Fairly often, I get random blue screens, all with the same error (recovered from minidump files, below). The offending driver is always the same: AMDPCore.sys. I'd really appreciate if anyone could provide any guidance with this.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. 

Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000003fff0, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000000000000ff, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: fffff8004bcd7fdd, address which referenced memory

SYMBOL_NAME: AMDPcore+7fdd

MODULE_NAME: AMDPcore

IMAGE_NAME: AMDPcore.sys

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_AMDPcore!unknown_function

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {e18f000c-8dde-0fe2-d02b-de5c86e5bf8a}

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello valp124‌,

A couple things that may help clarify.

1) Windows Server Versions

- Windows Server 2019, is the Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) Release.  While we may get monthly Windows Cumulative Updates from Microsoft, full official releases occur every 3-4 years.  AMD’s Server support is based upon the Server LTSC releases ie Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019, etc.

- Windows 10/Server, version 2004 is the latest Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) Release.  SAC releases have new innovations, and are released every Spring and every Fall.  Eventually the Windows Server SAC releases will feed into the next Windows Server LTSC release, but meanwhile are completely different channels.

You can learn more here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/servicing-channels-19

2) AMDPCore.sys is not part of the base Windows Server OS for AMD.   It is a driver installed as part of AMD’s uProf Tool.  I will get our tools team to also review and respond to this thread.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello valp124‌,

A couple things that may help clarify.

1) Windows Server Versions

- Windows Server 2019, is the Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) Release.  While we may get monthly Windows Cumulative Updates from Microsoft, full official releases occur every 3-4 years.  AMD’s Server support is based upon the Server LTSC releases ie Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019, etc.

- Windows 10/Server, version 2004 is the latest Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) Release.  SAC releases have new innovations, and are released every Spring and every Fall.  Eventually the Windows Server SAC releases will feed into the next Windows Server LTSC release, but meanwhile are completely different channels.

You can learn more here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/servicing-channels-19

2) AMDPCore.sys is not part of the base Windows Server OS for AMD.   It is a driver installed as part of AMD’s uProf Tool.  I will get our tools team to also review and respond to this thread.

0 Likes

Ah, @mbaker_amd, thank you so much for the tip on the source of AMDPCore! I didn't realize it wasn't part of Windows. Yes, I know that I'm on a SAC release. Presumably, before version 1909, Windows server didn't fully support dual CPUs, if I understood the information from https://developer.amd.com/wp-content/resources/56782_1.0.pdf, on page 16. Re-reading it now, I see that perhaps I did misunderstand. Would you recommend then reverting back to the LTSC release (build 1809, I believe)? Of course, that would be a complete reinstall...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1809 is the right LTSC version to include.  It should have the support for the full 256 CPU threads your platform has.

0 Likes

...and just to further clarify, update June 2020 is the latest available download (at this time) for Windows Server 2019.  I believe there was a full media refresh of Windows Server 2019 in Sept.2019 (where necessary AMD support for 256 cores went in).   At a minimal would suggest using that version.  Hope this helps.  

0 Likes

Ok, thanks a lot, that clarifies the versions question. I'd still love to hear back from the folks in your tools team, as mbaker_amd suggested, with regard to my original question.

0 Likes