cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Gurus Discussions

MarcelHB
Adept I

AMD µProf Win no longer parses GCC debug symbols?

Hello,

One year ago or so, I started using µProf on Windows, v3.4.xx I guess. I use MSYS2/MinGW to compile different projects, and I can't remember doing anything in particular, but back then I could easily profile an application built with debug symbols, especially I inspect a Flame Graph and see all the Function names. Nice.

Fast forward, I downloaded µProf v3.5, and my current MSYS2 env comes with GCC v11.2. Again, I build the application with debug symbols (i. e. -g), and can successfully use gdb for debugging.

But unfortunately, I can no longer make µProf display function names from the debug symbols. So instead of let's say:

my_function(char*)

I'm stuck at seeing something like:

my.exe!0x000123

Windows symbols, after download from MS, are looking good though.

Let's say I have a default CMake like-setup:

$SRC_DIR/
src/
  Class.cpp
build/
  my.exe
main.cpp
CMakeLists.txt

I request to profile $SRC_DIR/build/my.exe, built with -g. I even supply $SRC_DIR as source root setting, and I explicitly point to $SRC_DIR/build as application symbol location, although in contrast to MSVC and its pdb files, GCC embeds them directly into the executable.

I also tried -gdwarf for DWARF symbols but no difference.

In contrast, the AMD provided example of µProf named AMDTClassicMatMul that obviously comes with an MSVC pdb symbol file works without any further considerations, all graphs are labeled correctly.

Can somebody confirm or deny? Is there something I forgot to do after I one year?

Thanks for your help.

7 Replies

Hello MarcelHB,

Thanks for reporting this issue.  I am investigating this and will get back to you soon.

Hello MarcelHB,

I have filed a bug report for this issue.  Will update you when the fix is available.

Awesome, thanks!

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the problem remains with the newly released v3.6.

0 Likes

Yes, this issue is not yet fixed.

0 Likes

Is this fixed in 4.0? I seem to be having the same problem. Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi glob, the issue not yet fixed.  I have the bug report filed for this issue.