cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Mathmos Madness Rebuild

My original FX8150 8-Core CPU computer 'Mathmos Madness' build from 2011 has seen better days.  It had been relocated to a spot under my workbench where it was connected to a monitor and the Internet but I didn't power it up too often because it was so darn slow!  Windows updates took forever.  It wasn't much use as a gaming machine anymore since I have over 10 other machines that would be selected before this one, so I knew it's time was limited.  But wait!  There is no reason you cannot rebuild a machine and improve it's performance in all areas!  It was time.

I recently purchased a combo deal at MicroCenter for a new AMD 5600X3D CPU and 16 GB of DDR4 RAM along with a nice Asus B550 motherboard.  I could not help myself.  Yes, even though I just built Wine-Time less than a month ago, here I am starting another project.  Somebody help me.  But before they do, here I shall document the upgrade process of the Mathmos Madness rebuild.  In fact, I'm removing the Mathmos light from the top and it really needs a new name when I'm done.

To start this project, I needed to pull it out of its home under the workbench at Big Al's Computers and start removing some of the parts.  I noticed a 1200 W PSU in there and that will certainly be the PSU I use for the rebuild.  I ordered a few 120mm RGB fans to go along with some 140mm RGB fans I already had on hand, and this rebuild will have more RGB fans than you can throw a stick at when I'm done.

Here is the original AMD FX-8150 8-Core CPU that is ready for an upgrade.Here is the original AMD FX-8150 8-Core CPU that is ready for an upgrade.Combo deal from MicroCenter - AMD 5600X3D CPU, RAM and a tasty Asus B550 motherboard a tasty AsusCombo deal from MicroCenter - AMD 5600X3D CPU, RAM and a tasty Asus B550 motherboard a tasty AsusI'll start with this AMD RX 580 video card until I can afford an upgrade to complement the new CPU.I'll start with this AMD RX 580 video card until I can afford an upgrade to complement the new CPU.Here is the 'Mathmos Madness' machine after I pulled it out from under the workbench.  Another machine has taken it's place already.  We are all replaceable....Here is the 'Mathmos Madness' machine after I pulled it out from under the workbench. Another machine has taken it's place already. We are all replaceable....The RX-580 video card.  It will suffice for a short time.The RX-580 video card. It will suffice for a short time.These HDDs are part of the reason the old machine was so slow.  And hey, that's a 10,000 rpm Raptor drive on the right!These HDDs are part of the reason the old machine was so slow. And hey, that's a 10,000 rpm Raptor drive on the right!

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
27 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm ordering some fans and pulling some old parts out, such as the FX8150 motherboard.  I will be doing some modding on the top of this case to accommodate two 140mm RGB fans.  At least, that's the plan!

This 1 TB SSD will go where the HDDs were installed.This 1 TB SSD will go where the HDDs were installed.Lots of room in this HDD cage!Lots of room in this HDD cage!I pulled out the old motherboard and even the PSU, because I will be doing some mods to this case.I pulled out the old motherboard and even the PSU, because I will be doing some mods to this case.I pulled out the LED Mathmos light.  I will install a 140mm RGB fan here, and cut another hole nearby for a 2nd fan.I pulled out the LED Mathmos light. I will install a 140mm RGB fan here, and cut another hole nearby for a 2nd fan.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My plan is taking shape today.  I spent a few hours at my workbench (where all my Big Al Computers are built), cutting the second hole for the other 140mm RGB fan.  Then I sized up some window screen to act as a dust filter.  Below you can see the whole process, from getting the hole cut to mounting the fans.  I had to think for a few minutes on how to mark the holes for the fan screws.  A scratch awl just wasn't doing it.  Then I decided to dip one of the dust filter nozzles into a can of white paint to mark the holes.  This worked great!  Now I could center punch the marks and drill the holes.  I even countersunk the holes so the screws would be flush with the top.  

I plan to remove most of those bay devices, leaving the two optical drives.  However, I must find the cover plates in one of my storage boxes - and I don't know which box they are in!  That's going to be a pain.

This pot is almost the right size.  Note that the hole for the Mathos light is slightly too big for the 140mm fan, but I wanted to make these holes the same size.This pot is almost the right size. Note that the hole for the Mathos light is slightly too big for the 140mm fan, but I wanted to make these holes the same size.I drilled a few holes and then got to work with the airplane snips.I drilled a few holes and then got to work with the airplane snips.The hole has been cut and the edges filed so I won't cut myself.The hole has been cut and the edges filed so I won't cut myself.I'm trying to find a way to mark the fan holes.  This wasn't the way.I'm trying to find a way to mark the fan holes. This wasn't the way.This is the way to mark the fan screw holes.This is the way to mark the fan screw holes.See?  The marks are nice and easy to see.  Now I counterpunched them so the drill bit would not wander.See? The marks are nice and easy to see. Now I counterpunched them so the drill bit would not wander.The fan screw holes have been drilled and countersunk.The fan screw holes have been drilled and countersunk.Test fitting the two 140mm fans.Test fitting the two 140mm fans.Let's get that window screen in place.  I had a roll from some window screen repair job I did maybe 10 years ago.  I don't throw away useful stuff.Let's get that window screen in place. I had a roll from some window screen repair job I did maybe 10 years ago. I don't throw away useful stuff.Ok, the fans are installed and I used a permanent black marker to help the edges blend in with the case a bit more.Ok, the fans are installed and I used a permanent black marker to help the edges blend in with the case a bit more.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I did some more modding this morning, after spending another 2 hours going through my boxes - looking for cover plates to this case.  I found the large bay device covers (I only needed one though) and only 1 of the 2 smaller bay covers.  I found a workaround with another cases small bay cover, so it worked out.  

I also found a bit of 'Modder Mesh' that I had saved from my old 'Printer-to-Computer-Deja-Vu' build that I decommissioned a few years ago.  I used that with a 120mm Asus RGB fan in the front bay area because this case really needed more airflow.  I'm happy with the results too.

Finally pulling out the old bay devices.Finally pulling out the old bay devices.I'm keeping the two optical drives installed however.I'm keeping the two optical drives installed however.Sizing and bending the Modders Mesh to fit in 3 bay device space.Sizing and bending the Modders Mesh to fit in 3 bay device space.Cutting the old Modders Mesh to size.Cutting the old Modders Mesh to size.This is how you make screw holes in Modders Mesh!This is how you make screw holes in Modders Mesh!Ok, this looks decent.  The front cover keeps the Modders Mesh in place.Ok, this looks decent. The front cover keeps the Modders Mesh in place.I'm pulling out the top audio / USB ports; all these wires would be a pain to hide and I don't use them anyway.I'm pulling out the top audio / USB ports; all these wires would be a pain to hide and I don't use them anyway.Much cleaner in there.  The wires would have been seen behind the RGB fan.Much cleaner in there. The wires would have been seen behind the RGB fan.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Even though I'm still waiting on the M.2 system drive to arrive, along with some RGB fans, I had enough of the parts on hand to attempt a boot of this computer (which still needs a new name).  This morning I installed the CPU onto the motherboard and then installed the motherboard into the case.  Back in went the PSU, which I noticed had a few cables that were kind of short (like the CPU power cable); since there is no room behind the motherboard to stuff cables and such, this build will be showing many PSU cables that really cannot be hidden.  My only option would be to buy PSU cable extenders and that's not worth it to me (note that most of them are directly wired to the PSU, so it's only semi-modular).  

Anyway, I got everything hooked up that I could connect (a few fans are awaiting the new parts) and it successfully booted into the BIOS.  I didn't have to mess with the FTM settings at all on this build, and I will await the RBAR setting change until I acquire a decent video card.  I will also need a decent monitor too, but I need to wait a while until burning through more money.  Maybe I'll wait until August 2023.

Time to get the CPU and CPU cooler installed.  Oh yes, the two memory sticks too.Time to get the CPU and CPU cooler installed. Oh yes, the two memory sticks too.There is that Ryzen 5600X3D CPU in all it's glory.There is that Ryzen 5600X3D CPU in all it's glory.A little bit of thermal paste to keep it on the cool side.  I smeared this across the header with a small plastic bag around my finger.  I cover the whole header.A little bit of thermal paste to keep it on the cool side. I smeared this across the header with a small plastic bag around my finger. I cover the whole header.Installing the motherboard and connecting the top 140mm fans to the motherboard fan headers.Installing the motherboard and connecting the top 140mm fans to the motherboard fan headers.And there you have it .  First boot into the BIOS (waiting on my system drive to arrive before installing Windows).  I am going to try to buy a Windows 11 key and use my previous Windows 11 USB drive.And there you have it . First boot into the BIOS (waiting on my system drive to arrive before installing Windows). I am going to try to buy a Windows 11 key and use my previous Windows 11 USB drive.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yesterday my 2 TB M.2 drive arrived, but it came in the US Mail and didn't show up until dinner time.  I was busy with dinner and then yoga after that, and something to do with testing in this forum.  So I did get it installed, but today after my Cat Tuesday activities, I installed Windows 11.  This time I bought the Windows 11 Home key from a site recommended by Tom's Hardware, and it was about $39 after fees and taxes.  But it worked, saving me around $80-$90 USD off the retail price of the Windows OS.  I'm happy the authentication key worked without any issues.

Now I have all the updates done and a few games installed via Steam.  This is still a 1080p gaming machine until I can find the money for a new monitor and a new video card.  I want to get those before my upcoming Labor Day LAN party(ies).  More on that later when things get finalized.

The M.2 drive going into it's socket.The M.2 drive going into it's socket.I had a Windows 11 install USB stick from my last build.  I used that and a Windows Key I bought online to get a $39 version up and running.I had a Windows 11 install USB stick from my last build. I used that and a Windows Key I bought online to get a $39 version up and running.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Ok, I got my Asus RGB fans installed, using the Asus controller and now I have a total of seven RGB fans running in this case.  It's pretty quiet too, so I think I can handle a high power video card when some money becomes available.  I also want to get a 32" or 34" 1440p gaming monitor to replace the old 1080p 60 Hz monitor I have right now.  I did some gaming tonight with World of Tanks and the AMD graphics software said I am getting an average of 55 FPS - not bad considering the monitor is limiting me.  It does look pretty nice though, even at 1080p.

All fans installed except for the one going into the side panel window; I wanted to boot it up and make sure I connected everything correctly.  I did.All fans installed except for the one going into the side panel window; I wanted to boot it up and make sure I connected everything correctly. I did.Ok, the side panel window fan is installed too.  It's plugged into my last open Chassis Fan port.Ok, the side panel window fan is installed too. It's plugged into my last open Chassis Fan port.So, this is where I am placing this 'Lian-Li-X3D' machine.  Do you like the name I chose?  I am on the wireless antenna here, as I don't want a network cable running across the carpet.So, this is where I am placing this 'Lian-Li-X3D' machine. Do you like the name I chose? I am on the wireless antenna here, as I don't want a network cable running across the carpet.Another angle that shows in the background where my WiFi router is - nice and close for a strong signal.Another angle that shows in the background where my WiFi router is - nice and close for a strong signal.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Some people might recognize that I put the USB / audio header back into the top.  I decided that with the wireless mouse, it was better to have the dongle plugged into the top of the case, rather than the rear, where the case could block the signal.  I tied it off with twist ties - my favorite cable management tool.  

So, this gaming station is on a bar, one we bought 32 years ago when we moved in.  We also bought that pool table, the pool table light fixture, and a cue stick rack.  This is quite the gaming room, with six gaming computers.  In my storage room there are two more usable gaming computers, and up one level in the den I have three more gaming computers.  So my current LAN has a total of 11 decent machines.  I took Osborne-Again-2 off the network (it was sitting on this bar previously), but it is sitting on top of the glass table where 'Through the Looking Glass' hangs below.  So, it is like a spare gaming machine I suppose.  

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

This afternoon, after a 2-hour massage in the morning I might add, I added some RGB lights to the interior of Osborne-Again-2, even though it's not connected to anything.  These lights come on when Through the Looking Glass is powered up.  It looks pretty nice actually.  

I also received my USB-3 hub and extended cable for the Lian-Li-X3D machine, so now all my USB cables reach without having to stretch across the back of the bar area.  Small things, but it's an improvement.

The LED lighting of Osborne-Again-2 is via the computer below it, Through the Looking Glass.The LED lighting of Osborne-Again-2 is via the computer below it, Through the Looking Glass.With a remote USB-3 hub, I can now reduce cable clutter behind this new build.With a remote USB-3 hub, I can now reduce cable clutter behind this new build.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I need suggestions for a 1440p 32 or 34" curved gaming monitor and a nice video card that I can acquire in August 2023 before my next LAN party on Labor Day Weekend.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

So much for waiting for suggestions - I just ordered the LG UltraGear QHD 34" curved VA gaming monitor 34GP63A-B with HDR 10 compatibility, AMD FreeSync premium, 160 Hz from Amazon for $334.  Please note that I asked my wife Sandra permission first!  She sent me a gif of money flying, but said, "Sure, why not?".  She's a keeper.

Yes, she sent this to me on my cell phone.Yes, she sent this to me on my cell phone.

I need to wait until August before considering an upgrade to the video card.  I know my RX580 will struggle to run the new monitor when it arrives next week.  I need suggestions on an AMD video card that's a good fit for this setup of the 56003XD and the 34" 2K, 160 Hz, 1440p monitor.

This coming Christmas Eve will mark our 40th wedding anniversary.  I am a lucky guy.  And you know what?  She is also an electrical engineer (MSEE like me).  We are both retired now.This coming Christmas Eve will mark our 40th wedding anniversary. I am a lucky guy. And you know what? She is also an electrical engineer (MSEE like me). We are both retired now.

Sorry, I kind missed this topic a bit.

But I believe VA panels are not dead yet. At least mine is. Apart for some light bleed while completely dark no issues at all. And a fantastic quality for the money.

And the fact its curved, simply amazing!

The Englishman
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I move fast.  I was researching video cards this morning and I found a good deal on the PowerColor 7900XT; same price at Newegg, Amazon and MicroCenter.  But at Microcenter, when you add it to your cart, suddenly its $50 off, meaning $699!  Not so with Newegg and Amazon, and I live 25 minutes away from MicroCenter in Fairfax, Virginia.  So I asked my wife about me buying it now, rather than waiting until August.  She said go for it.  Now I'm becoming suspicious.  Is she planning to buy something herself soon?  Anyway, when I paid for the video card with my Microcenter credit card, I got another 5% discount.  This card, with state tax, cost me $706.  That's a good deal I do believe.  Now I will be ready for that 34" gaming monitor when it arrives later this coming week.

I've had good luck with PowerColor video cards in the past.  This should be quite the gaming card with a 34" gaming monitor and my new DP 2.1 video cable from Amazon.  The video card came from MicroCenter.I've had good luck with PowerColor video cards in the past. This should be quite the gaming card with a 34" gaming monitor and my new DP 2.1 video cable from Amazon. The video card came from MicroCenter.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My gaming monitor should be arriving today from UPS.  I'm looking forward to that!  Meanwhile, I've updated my website for this Lian-Li-X3D build.  I'll add a few more pictures of the monitor in a few days.  This machine will make it's debut at our upcoming Big Al Computers Labor Day LAN party (there will be two days of gaming actually).

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My 34" monitor arrived this afternoon.  Yes, it's a good day!  I have it hooked up with a 10' DP cable to the 7900XT video card and it looks very nice.  I tried World of Tanks - Blitz for a few minutes and I got the same average frame rate (55 FPS) as before with the old video card (RX580).  I could use some help in getting this thing properly configured with the AMD Adrenalin drivers.  The monitor is supposed to support AMD Freesync, but the driver won't let me enable that setting.  

The box looked pretty good, as delivered by UPS.The box looked pretty good, as delivered by UPS.I carefully unpacked everything and assembled it on my workbench.  You don't take chances with these large monitors.I carefully unpacked everything and assembled it on my workbench. You don't take chances with these large monitors.No tools required and it fits together nicely.No tools required and it fits together nicely.So far, so good.  Swinging this around on the workbench is a bit tricky.So far, so good. Swinging this around on the workbench is a bit tricky.First boot with the new monitor.  The settings were correct already (display resolution I mean).First boot with the new monitor. The settings were correct already (display resolution I mean).I need to figure out what settings are best for this monitor and my video card.I need to figure out what settings are best for this monitor and my video card.

I've should've bought the 34 too, not that the 27 is bad but now I wish it was bigger.

The Englishman
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I figured out my problem with World of Tanks - Blitz.  The game settings I had were limiting the frame rate to 60 Hz.  The next toggle up is 120 Hz.  Well, duh.  That's the highest setting in the game.  So I selected that and upped the image quality settings for other things and played a round.  Much better.  Now it's running at 111 FPS.  Makes my day!

IMG_3686.jpeg

0 Likes

Looks like you have free sync on that monitor. Is it the premium version of free sync, or what?

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

Yes, it has the AMD FreeSync Premium.  Getting FreeSync to engage has been difficult for me with past monitors.  There are so many options in the AMD Adrenalin software that are mutually exclusive.

0 Likes

Have you ever used Free sync premium pro? Is buying the pro version the only way to get a free sync moniter with HDR?

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

I really don't understand the levels of AMD FreeSync and what each level means.  I wish somebody would post a comment about that.

Here's the levels of free sync for you: FreeSync™ Technology | FreeSync Premium Pro HDR Games | AMD

Thanks, but that link doesn't mention the ins and outs of enabling AMD FreeSync, and what is mutually exclusive with other settings.  It's still very confusing in the software.

0 Likes

Can't you just enable free sync from this page in AMD adrenaline software. Just to let you know, I have never used a free sync monitor so be very careful trusting anything I tell you.free sync.png

Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.  There are other settings that can impact the enabling of FreeSync.  We need some type of flow chart that shows the different paths you can take.

0 Likes

I think I just hit my limit of knowledge when it comes to free sync, so I don't think I can help(or not help) anymore. Help you finally figure it out.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

This computer is already built.  Why are you posting this?

I was just about to say something.