cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Innovation with motherboard design - putting the power connectors on the bottom!

So this is pretty exciting.  Several manufacturers are coming up with motherboard designs where the power connectors are on the backside of the motherboard.  That way you don't even see them.  It doesn't address the power cables going to the video card, but maybe there are other solutions for that - like a shroud around the cables that looks like a structural element.  Being modders as we are, it's not hard to cut a few holes into the motherboard trays of existing cases (or build a case that supports motherboard connectors on the backside) so you can use one of these new motherboards.  I will definitely be looking for these in the future.

You can easily mod a case to accommodate these new motherboard designs.You can easily mod a case to accommodate these new motherboard designs.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
10 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Has anyone seen one of these new motherboards for AMD Ryzen CPUs?  I do want to get one for my next build this summer.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I sure would like to find one of these motherboards for a 7000 series Ryzen CPU.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

So, there are motherboards coming out for Intel processors.  How about one for the AM5 socket with AMD?

https://www.newegg.com/asus-tuf-b760m-btf-wifi-d4/p/1JW-000C-01708

0 Likes
Dragokar
Miniboss

I do believe this is stupid as long as there is no standard to it. Otherwise, every OEM/ODM can build that stuff how they want to and no one cares about compatibility. Also, I think it just makes the cases wider and this is only a retail market issue to hide the cables.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Well, we don't know what the standards are for this change.  I'm sure they will address the issue of compatibility with case manufacturers as has been done with previous case / component standards.

There is a problem with current cable management, in that people are so adamant about bending the cables close to the connectors on the motherboard to get them hidden into a slot in the case.  It can damage cables or put more strain on the sockets in the motherboard.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I still haven't seen any motherboards like this for the AMD socket.  I have seen a PSU with the connectors on the side, instead of the back.  That might work better for some builds I suppose.

eebiii
Miniboss

It would be interesting to work with one of these. Right now, it easy to somewhat hide MB connectors with 90-degree connectors. The problem is room in most cases to make that bend or not having a hole next to the main PSU connector on the motherboard.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You make your own hole in the case.  There's a solution for everything with the right tools.

eebiii
Miniboss

Sounds complicated. 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Complications are what separate the men from the boys, or the girls from the women.  I know you're up for dealing with complications.  If we leave things as 'status quo', nothing will change for the better.

0 Likes