cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

CPU Cooler Upgrade for Game-a-Tron-3

I last upgraded my Game-a-Tron-3 slot-machine turned into a computer back in April of 2022.  I used the stock AMD CPU cooler with an Ryzen 5 5600X CPU and I was happy with the performance as a gaming machine with a 34" wide-screen gaming monitor.  Last year I moved this machine into my main-level den, and it was a bear to carry it up by myself from the basement LAN.  I wasn't going to carry this case back down those stairs again to my workbench just to install a CPU cooler, so I did this in-place.  

Now, there is no real cable management scheme inside this case.  So I don't want to hear complaints about that!  In fact, I had to deal with two SATA cables going over the CPU cooler to reach the system SSD and the optical drive, so it was a pain to slip the new Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo black CPU cooler heat sink under them and onto the AM4 socket, but I got it done.  The install was successful (Would I be talking about it if I failed?) and it improved my CPU temperature a bit over the stock AMD CPU cooler.

Here are the resulting temperatures, looking as best I could at averages:  

Old AMD CPU cooler:  idle CPU = 48 C; idle GPU = 52 C.  Gaming CPU = 64 C, gaming GPU = 56 C

New Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo CPU cooler:  idle CPU = 42 C; idle GPU = 48 C.  Gaming CPU = 61 C, gaming GPU = 55 C

Why was there an affect on the GPU temperature after installation of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo CPU cooler?  I think ambient temperature could play into this, but I also think there is a bit more airflow in the case due to the bigger CPU fan.  And besides, it's an LED fan too!  

Before the upgrade.  You can see the old AMD stock CPU cooler in there.Before the upgrade. You can see the old AMD stock CPU cooler in there.

Removing the stock AMD CPU cooler; note the good thermal paste coverage.Removing the stock AMD CPU cooler; note the good thermal paste coverage.

Here is the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU, showing again the good thermal paste coverage.Here is the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU, showing again the good thermal paste coverage.

Cleaning the CPU header, it looks fine.Cleaning the CPU header, it looks fine.

Getting the new Cooler Master Hyper 212 heatsink ready.Getting the new Cooler Master Hyper 212 heatsink ready.

Adding on the AM4 mounting brackets.Adding on the AM4 mounting brackets.

Slipping the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo heatsink onto the AM4 socket, under the SATA cables.  Don't give me a hard time about all those wires - you cannot see them with the door closed.Slipping the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo heatsink onto the AM4 socket, under the SATA cables. Don't give me a hard time about all those wires - you cannot see them with the door closed.

Mounting the fan to the heatsink.Mounting the fan to the heatsink.

Powering up, this looks pretty nice.  Of course, you cannot see the LED fan with the front door closed.Powering up, this looks pretty nice. Of course, you cannot see the LED fan with the front door closed.

A close up of the brains behind Game-a-Tron-3.A close up of the brains behind Game-a-Tron-3.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
3 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Did anyone notice the ruler under the motherboard?  That's a trick I learned for holding the bottom plate against the motherboard while you screw down the new CPU cooler.  Otherwise, it drops down and the screws don't reach their posts.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigGameD33R
Adept I

that's really creative AL.  Really old tech and new tech coming together is great

Thanks @BigGameD33R .  A friend of mine found this slot machine in the dumpster at an apartment complex many years ago.  He saved it for me perhaps a decade ago, and I built it into a gaming computer back in December 2014.  It's been upgraded a few times too.

New motherboard going in....New motherboard going in....

0 Likes