cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Wh1stl3
Journeyman III

Will newest BIOS update for B450M-A disable my Ryzen 5 2600? Trying to solve the stutters

Just got a rx6800 as an upgrade to my gtx 1080, was expecting a massive performance boost but so far i'm disappointed. Constant stuttering and low FPS, and i cant even play Overwatch with 60fps dipping to 20fs. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 that, while i understand may bottleneck my GPU, shouldn't be hurting me this badly. So i was hoping to update my BIOS before upgrading my CPU but i've heard new BIOS updates disables older gen CPUs? I wont be able to get the new CPU until a month or so.

My question is, can i update my BIOS and not worry about losing access to my 2600? Or do i just need to deal with the terrible performance? My GTX 1080 was arguably better but i just sold it thinking the 6800 will work right so im out of luck

0 Likes
1 Reply
vishvajit
Adept III

updating your BIOS should not disable your Ryzen 5 2600 CPU. However, it's always a good idea to double-check the compatibility of your specific CPU with the new BIOS version before updating. Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for information on which BIOS versions support your CPU.

Updating your BIOS may potentially improve performance, but it's not guaranteed to solve the issue. Other factors, such as driver settings, software conflicts, and hardware compatibility, can also impact performance. It's possible that your issue may be related to something other than your BIOS.

Here are some other things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Update your graphics card drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your RX6800. You can download the latest drivers from AMD's website.

2. Check your graphics card settings: Make sure you have the correct settings configured for your RX6800 in the AMD Radeon Software. You can try adjusting settings such as anti-aliasing, tessellation, and texture filtering to see if it improves performance.

3. Monitor your system performance: Use a system monitoring tool to track your CPU and GPU usage, as well as your system temperature. This can help identify if your CPU or GPU is the bottleneck, or if there are other performance issues.

4. Reinstall Overwatch: It's possible that the game files may have become corrupted during the transition from your GTX 1080 to your RX6800. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if that helps.

If you've tried these steps and still experience poor performance, it may be worth waiting until you upgrade your CPU to see if that solves the issue.

0 Likes