cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

6equj5
Adept I

tpm and amd-v virtualization problems with ryzen 2500u

As answered by @sinatosk on this forum, https://community.amd.com/message/2925719?commentID=2925719#comment-2925719?q=amdgpu , even I am facing virtualization issues on my laptop.

My laptop is unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate properly. I thought this was limited to my build because of an issue in HP's bios. But after seeing the thread above, it seems to be an issue everywhere (on Windows and Linux).

This would be a huge setback in sales as students, who want to buy AMD laptops for being cheaper than Intel ones, will realize that tools and features won't work properly, as in my case.

I have received two BIOS updates which dealt with Windows update 1903, and RAM allocation to the integrated(discrete) Radeon mobile gfx. In between somewhere, I lost the TPM. The power issues related to virtualization are yet to be fixed.

The TPM shows up in Device Manager but doesn't in the Security chip page in Windows Security.

When I reached out to HP via their WhatsApp customer care, they simply nudged it aside, saying it is AMD who's responsible, even though I pointed out multiple times that the BIOS is made by HP. They said the AMD-v toggle is just pointed to in the BIOS but isn't shipped/coded/set by HP. But AMD customer care said otherwise, that it's the vendor's responsibility.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Will AMD look into this issue??

Build: HP Envy x360 Ryzen 2500u with Radeon Vega 8 Mobile Gfx

Windows 1909

0 Likes
8 Replies
int13h
Staff

It is hardly a processor issue. My Ryzen laptop hibernates all the time, not a single issue from the day one...

Moreover, it's a part of WHQL certification - Microsoft will not allow to ship system with Windows unless its proven to sleep and hibernate correctly.

My suggestion - start with OS. Backup your data and system image (or take a different drive), when install Windows 10 from the clean image (use Media Creation Tool in advance to get it), put newest AMD and HP drivers on. Check if system can sleep well, if yes - install your programs one by one (often such issues may be connected with 3rd party software).

Actually, the system is fine when virtualization is turned off, it boots, powers off, hibernates, sleeps properly. The problem is only when AMD-V is turned on, after which no power option functions normally.

I just did an in-place upgrade to 20H1, and sleep and restart work fine, but hibernate and shut down don't.

0 Likes

If it is a 3rd party issue as int13h indicates, before installing a clean Windows OS boot into a Clean Windows Desktop. It is similar to Windows Safe mode except running on the Desktop.

This mode will disable all 3rd party Startups apps and run just Microsoft drivers and apps. Boot into the Clean Windows Desktop top and manually put your laptop to sleep or wait until it goes into sleep/Hibernate mode and see if it works correctly by coming back normally. If it doesn't then do a fresh Windows OS install.

Here is how to do a Clean Windows Desktop: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

Thanks for pointing it out! I didn't know about this method of troubleshooting earlier. I have tried it but, got the same outcome, shutdown and hibernate don't work.

Anyways, as I mentioned, w/o virtualization on, everything's fine. Hence, I do not intend to do a clean install.

I just wish to work on WSL 2 and am in need of a working power controls.

BTW, what do you think about the TPM thingy? I tried to find an updated driver online, found a signed one with a higher version number and installed it, but to no avail.

The TPM can be overlooked as I feel secure enough, but I'm desperate about power controls when virtualization is on.

0 Likes

I suggest you open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD Support) and see what they recommend from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Done it, AMD asked to head to the manufacturer......

0 Likes
6equj5
Adept I

Sometime in between, things got sorted out somehow [had a few cumulative updates and one bios update, and recently a bcd issue, which after rectifying, sorted everything out], and every power setting is back to normal.
Now the only problem left is the TPM.

6equj5
Adept I

I see other people too have issues with Ryzen 2000 series mobile.
I recently did a clean install, since Windows was crashing too often and the hibernate and sleep issues persist.

Envy X360 cold boot and wake from sleep problems - HP Support Community - 7069491
Inspiron 7375 Ryzen 2500U - Sleep Issues - Dell Community

0 Likes