cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

juanlasp
Adept I

Temp issues with AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

Hello all! I just installed a new SETUP with this AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (with stock Wraith Prism) , but I see that CPU Temps are too high.. My motherboard is Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (WI-FI) 

I am using Windows 10 (new installation), and installed some software, I noticed the fan make a lot of noise sometimes so I think in see the CPU Temps. I don't change anything in BIOS.

This temps are showed in AMD Ryzen Master (In Core Temp software always are mroe high)

• When Idle, CPU Temp is about 55º-60º, maybe with Chrome opens without see videos or something. M
  • When installating some sowftware, or downloading some in hight speed, temp rounds 60º-68º (Ok, green temp yet but maybe too highg for the current load..)

pastedImage_3.png

• With a normal 3D game open (in main menu) the Temp rounds about 70º
  • With a normal 3D game open in gameplay (1080) stay between 70-75º (I tested few games only)

I was reading about a normal CPU temperature browsing net should be 20-30º (Celsius), in my case, I have almost 3 time more than this. (55-65º). It's weird but when I open a game the temp don't look get too high.

I could not tested a more consuming game yet or openend Android Studio for the moment, but I am little worried about this "basic" temperatures in this CPU.

8 Replies
qbtheslayer
Challenger

20-30°C is certainly not a normal temp for a 3700X surfing the web...  Think more in the 40's with a quiet profiled 240mm  AIO...  probably closer to 50°C with a stock cooler.

Make sure you have the latest chipset driver installed and make sure your power plan is set to a Ryzen plan

QB

Hello!

My power plan is AMD Balanced, I have the latest chipset drivers and idle run with only ryzen master stays in 50-55ºC (Celsius) with the stock cooler. I am thinking change paste and cooler and I hope with an idle state this stay in 40º.. I see comments of this CPU staying 35-40º in idle. 

I know (or read in a lot of sites) that AMD CPU are more hots but when I see people with 35-40 in idle and mine in 50-55.. I get worried

0 Likes

The Wraith Prism has a High/Low Fan speed switch on the CPU Cooling casing.  See if it is on Low and switch it to High and see if it makes any difference in temperatures.

Also open on side of the computer case and see if Temperatures are lower or not. This will eliminate poor air circulation inside the computer case.

I had setted the Wraith Prism in High and yesterday had all time the right side of the box opened to improve airflow. No differences

If I customize the fan speed i can improve a little the cpu temps, but the fan is too noise.

Adding links to commercial sales sites is against forum rules. 

amdmatt‌ please remove this post. 

0 Likes

I can tell you that my 3700X runs in the upper 30's to low 40's back and forth at idle. It never goes over about 74-78 under full load. 

I run a Cooler Master 212 Evo and that is a good bit better cooler than the stock cooler. They run about $35 USA. This cooler is much quieter than the stock cooler.

These will never run in the 20-30 range on idle unless cooled with some very expensive top end cooling and there is zero need to go there. 

Thanks for the reply pokester‌, tomorrow arrives new thermal paste and a new cooler, I guess this situation should improve a lot. I will write here again

I have a 3700x in a large case with only 3 case fans and the highest temperature I ever have logged is 76C. And it only occasionally spikes to that and only for a second of two. Most of the time at full load with long term rendering or stress testing at a constant 4.2Ghz on all cores, I see like 70-73C. Idle temps fluctuate wildly from the upper 30s to the lower 60s, spending most of the time in the 40s and 50s.

I am using the stock AMD Wraith Prizm cooler. The cooler switch is set to high. My fan speeds in my bios (have all case fans and the CPU cooler fan set the same and linked to CPU temp) are set to 0% under 40C, 35% fan speed between 45C to 63C, and  from there progressively ramping up to 100% fan speeds at 75C and above. I'm happy with it.

edit: I also used arctic silver thermal paste on the most recent install because I switched motherboards

0 Likes