cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

schlitzbull
Adept I

Swapping stock cooler ripped out CPU

I just got done trying to change coolers on my 2700x. After removing the latches, the heat sink would not pull off the CPU with a normal amount of force. I slighted turned the cooler to the left and right to try to break the seal. When it would give, I gently pulled straight up. However,the CPU had melded with the heatsink and was ripped out during removal. I have a couple of bent pins on one corner. I assume AMD is going to tell me to kick rocks as far as warranty goes but I figured I would check.

I've been building computers since my late teens and i'm now in my 30s. I would not consider myself a novice.

Thanks.

34 Replies
schlitzbull
Adept I

Re: Swapping stock cooler ripped out CPU

Also, is it possible this has done damage to my socket? There is no resistance on the latch anymore.

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar

schlitzbull, sounds like you were using liquid metal for TIM - known to destroy AMD processors.  This is a user forum and most who help here do not work or speak for AMD (I certainly do not).  Please open an AMD Online Support to contact AMD.  I think if you post a picture here of your socket, then someone will comment.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

schlitzbull
Adept I

I used the thermal paste that came on the cooler. Ive already opened a tickey, was just curious if anyone on the forums had gone through this before.

0 Kudos
fnordie
Adept II

hi misterj!

how do have the idea he used liquid metal paste?

i ripped out my older FX cpu too... i am sure that it was because of the FACTORY APPLYED TIM on the boxed cooler. these pre applyed thermal "pads" are much harder than actual paste, especially when cold and old.

first thing on my ryzen was removing the factory thermal paste.

i am VERY careful when i remove AMD coolers. let the system run hot so paste is softer.

schlitzbull

my fx cpu/socket was fine after beeing ripped out.

i am very sorry, maybe you can bend the pins straight with a mechanical pencil? look for tutorials

@AMD

I hope we get a better (ripp out proof like threadripper or intel) socked design some day. warrany should cover this!!

0 Kudos
schlitzbull
Adept I

Tech suppory just responded with their warranty information and bolded

"incorrect installation". I was hesitant to buy AMD in the first place.

Never again. Its too bad too because it was a nice CPU.

gwlin
Journeyman III

You are suppose to heat up the CPU heatsink to melt the phase change thermal paste before removing the unit.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

LoL, You knew they were going to say that. When the Ryzen was ripped out and damaged it was due to Customer Error which nullifies the Warranty.

Try bending the pins back again. From my experience it probably will break unless you find a way to bend them back without breaking. They are very fragile since they are so tiny and thin.

0 Kudos
fnordie
Adept II

very sorry to hear that schlitzbull... i would try to bend it straigt again. there are lot of tutorials http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2177&title=straightening-cpu-pins-made-easier

0 Kudos
schlitzbull
Adept I

Not sure exactly how that that is customer error. Unless by design the

cooler should rip out the cpu. I even made sure the CPU was in use prior to

removal. Temps hovering in the mid 60s. It is whatever. Ill mess with the

pins later this week. Same thing happened with Kyle at . But im sure hes

just a noob just like me.

0 Kudos