cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Distion
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 7900 (non-X) reaches high temperatures with Wraith Prism Cooler

Hello. I recently acquired a Ryzen 9 7900 CPU that I have since been using in my NZXT S340 case in combination with the included Wraith Prism cooler. The case includes 2 140mm front fans, 1 140mm top fan and 1 120mm rear fan. To my surprise, in idle, the overall CPU temperate hovers around 50 degrees celsius, while under load, even in game applications, reaching temperatures up to 87 degrees celsius, with one CCD peaking at 91. While I am aware that the 7000 series of Ryzen CPUs was designed with temperatures up to 95 degrees C in mind, I was informed that the included cooler would suffice in cooling the non-X CPUs, and I cannot help but think that a defect might be present in my system that causes these high temperatures, even when idle. That is why, before spending money on a more capable cooling solution, I wanted to inquire whether there have been similar experiences with the Ryzen 9 7900, and how this can be resolved. Regards

7 Replies
apox
Adept I

I have the same problem. The CPU runs hot even when just in the BIOS. I've reseated the cooler but it didn't help.

P.S. I got the Ryzen 7900 with the Wraith cooler a few days ago.

0 Likes
digipointer0
Adept III

Some potential causes for the high temperatures could include poor thermal paste application, inadequate airflow within the case, or an issue with the CPU cooler itself. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Make sure that the thermal paste has been applied properly between the CPU and the cooler. If it appears to be uneven or poorly applied, you may want to clean off the old paste and reapply a fresh layer.
  2. Ensure that there is sufficient airflow within the case by checking that all fans are spinning and that there are no obstructions blocking the airflow. You may also want to consider adding additional case fans if possible.
  3. Use a monitoring tool such as HWMonitor or Ryzen Master to monitor CPU temperatures and fan speeds. If the cooler appears to be underperforming or not spinning at the appropriate speeds, you may want to consider replacing it with a more capable cooling solution.
  4. If all else fails, you may want to try reseating the CPU cooler to ensure that it is making proper contact with the CPU and that there are no air pockets between the two.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth considering a more capable cooling solution such as an all-in-one liquid cooler or a high-performance air cooler. Keep in mind that high temperatures can potentially reduce the lifespan of your CPU, so it is important to address the issue as soon as possible.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, the NZXT S340 is a very restrited airflow case and you may be getting the Wraith completely heat soaked due to its proximity to the graphics card and no fresh air coming in fast, also, if the intake fans are not optimized for static pressure, its even worse.

Things you may do:

- Monitor its rpm and do a custom curve to see if it helps or change the operation mode switch in the Wraith itself to high.
- Change thermal paste as the stock thermal sticker is adequate but not the best.
- Do you have any setting, curve optimizer or overclock?
- You can undervolt the CPU to shave a couple of ºC
- Whats the ambient temperature?
- Whats the minimal frequency of the CPU, do you have C-States enabled?

The Wraith is very competetent, it could cool the 2700X even when I pushed its power limits way above 160/170 Watts draw, which is much higher than what a 7950X (65EcoMode) or a 7900 non X does.

However... that was on a very airflow friendly tower as the Corsair 450D Airflow.

I would consider a better cooling solution because, seems normal what you are getting, given the circunstances.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes

I think I've found the problem. The motherboard had some overclock settings set to automatic in the BIOS. The overclock settings were too aggressive. Once I turned them to manual or off the high CPU temps, fan ramping, and BSOD crashes stopped.

Some boards do get aggressive settings.

The Englishman
0 Likes
triiwal
Journeyman III

Hi, I also experienced the same. When the idle temperature is around 47 degrees even it uses the AIO Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT Display Liquid CPU Cooler.

Here are the details:
- Ryzen 9 7900
- iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT Display Liquid CPU Cooler
- ASRock Z690E Pro RS
- 11 fans (7 intake and 4 exhaust)

PBO on and off not any change, I've also replaced the thermal. Is this normal?
Previously I used an Intel Core i5 12600K, the idle temperature was only 31-32 degrees.
Please help. Thank You

Cuplikan layar 2023-07-15 184236.png

0 Likes