cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: Ryzen 9 5950x running very hot 74C

" any of you are familiar with DC circuits you should know it's the current that introduces heat and there is no way to control the current (A) under a light load. Only max all core limits."

By setting the TDC you set the absolute limit of sustained amperage that the VRMs will supply the CPU.  It doesn't matter if it is a lightly threaded or heavily threaded workload, the VRMs won't go above that.  So if your cooling solution and VRMs can handle that amperage you are fine.

I suspect the issue arises with PBO simply turned on to motherboard limits.  Some of the X570 motherboards have crazy limits that probably are allow some pretty big spikes in amperage when a load is introduced before rapidly scaling back.  It may be worthwhile to set the PPT/TDC/EDC systematically until you reach a point where the errors/instability returns, or you reach a temperature/voltage you like.

SomeoneStoleMyToast
Journeyman III

I have Ryzen 7 3700x, asus rog strix x470f motherboard, and corsair h115i pro rgb 280mm aio and my cpu idle max 60c with lowest 33c.

HWiNFO64_oyecEU9nVu.png

0 Likes
Fastmikefree
Adept II

Hi

5950x is very different compared to 3700x in that regard. Even with my 5800x O.C. I was never going over 76°C!

With 5950x stock, I throttle at 90°C in games... 

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@Fastmikefree 

In first place, I would suggest you doing what I did. Run everything in BIOS in the stock settings. Then download Thaiphoon Burner, find the right and correct values regarding your ram and then download Ryzen DRAM Calculator and add these values to this software for the frequency of your stock RAM maximum speed that supported out of the box.

Click on the option Calculate Safe in the DRAM Calculator. Then add these values about the RAM in the BIOS and use the recommended field values that DRAM Calculator suggests. After that you need to reboot and if the system will boot then try to run the software OCCT with the options:

Data set: Large
Mode: Normal
Load Type: Variable
Threads: Advanced

Then click on the setting icon next to the Advanced Thread Settings text and there choose:

Physical Cores: Check them all
Virtual Cores: Physical & Virtual
Core Cycle: Cycle Active Core Every 3 Seconds
Swap Active / Inactive Cores: Swap Active Cores Every 5 Seconds

Let it run for 1 hour. If it passes without any errors or reboots during the test, it means that you are most probably good to go. If you see errors then try to lower your RAM frequency by 200MHz and try again the same tests. Keep doing this until you have a pass without an error in OCCT.

After you success on that, then we can do the curve optimizer but for Per Core like I did and not for all cores. Let me know when you finish 😉

Fastmikefree
Adept II

Many thanks! Let me try...

0 Likes
BradB111
Adept II

this is true although it doesn't explain why many of us here including myself are experiencing issues when on stock settings with pbo disabled and why many people including myself are not able to reach the rated boost speeds and are somehow operating at a much higher temperature than those seen in the reviews. The current limits are only there to limit the entire package or entire package minus SOC.

This is not a case of people leaving PBO on and at motherboard limits as I have verified the exact same behaviour with the cpu at stock settings (confirmed by ryzen master showing "OC Mode" As "Default" on launch without any further configuration required meaning the bios settings are forcing "stock" behaviour.

There is something wrong with the boosting behaviour of this CPU. You can confirm this easily yourself by going for a manual OC. If I can get the same frequency at a much lower temperature it will clearly show that there is something wrong with the boosting algorithm right?

Well.... the proof is right here:

PBO: https://imgur.com/kDGfB37
kDGfB37

Manual: https://imgur.com/c79xHAB
c79xHAB
Notice how My system is pulling far less current here? Goes back to what I mentioned earlier.

Also just to re-confirm. I am running a custom EK loop with 2x 360mm Rads. Yup... custom watercooling and I have issues too. 

Here is proof I don't get the rated boost speeds on stock: https://imgur.com/8J9Yrqa
8J9Yrqa
Notice how my single core load temps are extremely high as well?

Here is how my system sits after just 5 mins of gaming: https://imgur.com/L8e1ytL
L8e1ytL
(Still haven't hit anywhere close to 4.9GHz boost on effective clocks) Click here for Full size img: https://i.imgur.com/L8e1ytL.jpg 

Remember my PBO results from earlier? well compare them against this video: https://youtu.be/EtrCJn6Fr3o?t=693
(Should be linked to the R20 run he does, settings are at the beginning of the video) and my Bios settings are very similar to his, he also only has 1x 360mm rad keep in mind. 

And there we are.. all the proof we need that something is not right with these CPUs on some motherboards. Keep in mind that some people have swapped mobos and seen a dramatic improvement. There was also a user here that swapped CPUs with a friend and his 5950x with "problems" was fine on another mobo and his friends 5950x which was "fine" experienced the same issues we are all having here on his mobo. 

I understand people will instantly say, oh you have bios settings wrong and I would normally agree. However after spending hours upon hours trying to solve this myself and confirming I still experience this on stock behaviour with PBO disabled and don't even get the rated speeds I can confirm this is not a case of incorrect settings but a case of incorrect boosting behaviour experienced in certain conditions. The common factor here seems to be ASUS motherboards.

Again we need to somehow alert AMD / ASUS of this.

0 Likes
Fastmikefree
Adept II

@Ero_Sennin 

Ok, I might be doing something wrong, but when I click on Calculate SAFE in Dram Calculator, I get an error message saying 'not supported'...

Any suggestion?

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

" If I can get the same frequency at a much lower temperature it will clearly show that there is something wrong with the boosting algorithm right?"

Not true.  you can get clock stretching at a fixed voltage that isn't actually indicative of higher performance.  The boosting algorithm will try to supply the voltage/amperage necessary to do any workload at the rate clock speed (AVX included).  Can you complete OCCT small batch/extreme/constant with the manual setting?  What clock speeds do you get?

But yes, if the processor runs hot at stock settings, it is likely either an issue with the installation of the block or the IHS of the CPU is damaged and not pulling heat from the cores efficiently.  In the latter case, only an RMA would solve that.

0 Likes
Fastmikefree
Adept II

as suggested by Ero_Sennin  here above, try to use Open Hardware Monitor which looks more accurate on tracking CPU frequencies. 

I was under the same feeling as you, but after letting it run for about an hour when using my computer, I found easier to see core speed compared to HWinfo

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@Fastmikefree 

Are you sure you have added the right values from the Thaiphoon Burner into the DRAM Calculator? First, in the first field Processor use the option ZEN 2 AM4 / sTRX4. Then be sure you are adding the correct values for the Memory Type, DRAM PCB revision, Memory Rank and Motherboard. These values are all presented in the Thaiphoon Burner.

If you believe you have added the correct values and you are 100% sure about it, then just change the first option of the DRAM Calculator - Processor from the one you have to the ZEN 2 AM4 / sTRX4 and hit again the Calculate safe. Also keep in mind that in the field Frequency MT/s in DRAM Calculator, you add the MHz value the DRAM Calculator you want to suggest you the settings for.

0 Likes